PDA

View Full Version : Deer vs Spyder

Fire911
05-17-2015, 10:42 PM
Spyder won and riders survived! I have fractures face and wife has major road rash on face and concussion. Mistake to let her talk me into 3/4 helmets, but overall ok.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107666&stc=1

dsadowick
05-17-2015, 11:03 PM
Glad to hear both of you survived to tell about it. Hopefully recovery is quick.

Saluda
05-17-2015, 11:10 PM
Wish you a quick and complete recovery.

BajaRon
05-17-2015, 11:10 PM
Very glad you are both 'OK'. Looks like everything took a beating. I've always been very concerned about deer. But what are you going to do?

The trouble with 3/4 helmets is that they are just fine.... Until you need a helmet.

Imnotlost
05-17-2015, 11:11 PM
That is amazing. I know you both must be hurting like hell right now. But I hope you both recover fully & quickly.

ARtraveler
05-17-2015, 11:23 PM
Glad you got through that. Wishing you both a quick recovery. Let us know what happens with the Spyder also.

Chupaca
05-17-2015, 11:31 PM
Sure glad you were on a spyder and not a two wheeler. Hope you both have a comfortable and speedy recovery. :pray: amazing how much damage occurs when running into them.. Be safe...:thumbup:

KennW
05-18-2015, 12:35 AM
Please to hear you both survived. Must add though another reason for wearing full face helmets.

AbNormy
05-18-2015, 12:36 AM
Hit small buck in luchenbach on our hack luckily we were ATGATT except for my pants took some stitches above my knee needless to say I don't ride anywhere without gear anymore. Hope you health quick

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-18-2015, 02:30 AM
Glad to hear both of you survived to tell about it. Hopefully recovery is quick.

:agree:......Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-18-2015, 06:42 AM
:shocked: It looks as if the critter got rolled-up on the nose of the bike, and pitched right into you! :yikes:
Glad to hear that you're pretty much okay... heal quickly! :thumbup:

Roadster Renovations
05-18-2015, 06:46 AM
Wow! Glad you guys are OK! Hope you have a quick recovery! Not sure if they work, but we put deer horns on our Spyder. So far, so good. We also use 3/4 helmets.

spydaman60
05-18-2015, 06:47 AM
speedy recovery to the both of you! hope the bike heals quickly so you can jump right back in the saddle!!

Orange Spyder Man
05-18-2015, 07:05 AM
sorry to hear your and your bride was injured.. glad it was not worse.... 3/4 helmets are ok.. if you only want to protect 3/4's of your head..

osm

Tango
05-18-2015, 07:33 AM
Glad you both lived through it. Heel quickly. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Deer Slayer
05-18-2015, 07:44 AM
Spyder won and riders survived! I have fractures face and wife has major road rash on face and concussion. Mistake to let her talk me into 3/4 helmets, but overall ok.
Happy to hear you are ok. I will recomend vitimin E oil for the rash, as I have killed two deer with Goldwings.

blacklightning
05-18-2015, 08:16 AM
Wow! Sorry to hear about your accident. Praying for a full and speedy recovery for the both of you. I mostly wore a full helment, but thought it might be safer to wear my 3/4 helment again on the spyder due to the lack of chance for a tip over. Now I see I need to rethink that idea. Did the spyder flip and cause you to get injured, or did the deer knock you off the bike and then contact the pavement? Not meaning to get into your business, but just wondering if the spyder stayed upright.

AY4B
05-18-2015, 08:51 AM
Wow! What a frightening encounter! Ill have to look into getting a full helmet. I had a deer run in front of me not too long ago but I was in my truck and it was far enough in front that nothing happened. I also witnessed a head on collision between 2 horses and a pickup. That guys truck was flattened in front.

Kwalsh
05-18-2015, 08:51 AM
glad to hear you guys are mostly ok, spyders can be replaced. Living in upstate ny deer are a big concern up here they are everywhere

grumpybob
05-18-2015, 08:52 AM
Great to hear both of you are doing ok. Heal quick.

gman214
05-18-2015, 09:01 AM
Glad you guys are ok!!

Netminder
05-18-2015, 09:06 AM
Wishing you both a speedy recovery!

bruiser
05-18-2015, 09:20 AM
Looks like it's totaled. Injuries don't sound too serious although any injury is serious when it happens to you. We too wear 3/4 helmets. I have a full face for long trips and winter. The wife can't wear full face. Claustrophobia. But, let's not turn this in to a discussion on helmets. This is about your accident and recovery. :pray:

JayBros
05-18-2015, 10:00 AM
Best wishes for a swift and complete recovery!

Orange Spyder Man
05-18-2015, 10:15 AM
naww... don't discuss helmet or riding gear safety.. just go out & ride & take chances... prolly won't ever happen to me ... :yikes: :banghead:

osm

Big Arm
05-18-2015, 10:27 AM
Sorry to hear of your accident. Hope you both heal quickly.
I took a deer hit 5 yrs ago on my '08 GS, but yours looks a lot more damaged than mine. Got hit about the same place as yours. Let us know how the insurance takes care of you.
Again, Hope all turns out well for the both of you.

Ex-Rocket
05-18-2015, 10:30 AM
Glad you both are alive and able to talk about it. Hope you both have a speedy recovery.

Fire911
05-18-2015, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the kind words and well wishes. We are both healing rapidly. I wanted to address some comments.

The Spyder stayed upright to the best of my knowledge. I have no recollection of the events. I remember going around a corner then waking in ambulance.
It appears that the deer was perpendicular to the bike and we went under it. It just cleaned the top right off into me. The thing was BIG.
I mentioned the injuries and the relationship to the type of helmet to inform others of the consequences of our gear decisions. My wife was claustrophobic and I gave in, I went 3/4 to make it easier on her. Lesson Learned. She said will not be riding any longer.
I will commence research on deer alert devices, or whatever they are called.

blacklightning
05-18-2015, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the kind words and well wishes. We are both healing rapidly. I wanted to address some comments.

The Spyder stayed upright to the best of my knowledge. I have no recollection of the events. I remember going around a corner then waking in ambulance.
It appears that the deer was perpendicular to the bike and we went under it. It just cleaned the top right off into me. The thing was BIG.
I mentioned the injuries and the relationship to the type of helmet to inform others of the consequences of our gear decisions. My wife was claustrophobic and I gave in, I went 3/4 to make it easier on her. Lesson Learned. She said will not be riding any longer.
Thanks for updating us on the collision and how it happened. I know it must have been frightening. Still praying for a complete recovery.
Were are you in Columbia, S.C.? I lived in the St. Andrews/Irmo area from 1994-1998, and worked downtown Columbia about 1 block from the library.

robmorg
05-18-2015, 11:03 AM
Glad it wasn't worse than it was. Heal fast!

ARtraveler
05-18-2015, 11:04 AM

Thank you for taking the time to update us on some of the information. Whatever you choose for gear is still your call and I will surely respect that.

I also came from areas with a lot of deer. MN and WI. Many close calls, but never a hit on a bike. I did take one out with my pickup truck though.

On our Saturday ride, we came upon a pickup/moose encounter. The moose lost and the pickup was damaged. Here, we must be on the alert for moose. Also a few close calls there.

We use 3/4 type helmets (Nolan N43 and N44), with the chin bars--now I am also in the re-think stage. Same situation here, Akspyderlady does not like full face helmet because of the claustrophobia factor.

Bob Denman
05-18-2015, 11:41 AM
I've herd it said, that you don't really hit a moose. :shocked:
You hit it's knees, and the rest of it is just itching for some revenge... :yikes:

PaladinLV
05-18-2015, 11:49 AM
Sorry to hear about the accident but glad you all will be well.

For everyone:
Would STRONGLY recommend Deer Whistles for all those living or traveling through heavily populated deer areas.

Yes, they do work! And unlike a 2 wheeler, the Spyder's Fenders allow for a good spot for mounting.

AJ

KatLen0405
05-18-2015, 12:00 PM
I'm so happy to hear you are both on the mend. Hopefully the insurance will treat you right and you BOTH will be back out again soon!

Lew L
05-18-2015, 12:10 PM
Wish you both a speedy and complete recovery.

What time of day the incident happen??? Plenty of deer up here in the forest and have had a few close call on two wheels over the past 20+ years.

Good luck

No more ======
Kaos

Gator37
05-18-2015, 12:11 PM
Glad you two are still with us. Just recently lost a friend on his Harley for a deer collision. Think the Spyder was probably what saved you greater injury. Prayers for quick healing.

Lamonster
05-18-2015, 12:17 PM
Glad you're okay sort of. I know all about deer and road rash. It will mess with your head for awhile. nojoke

bronzeflex42
05-18-2015, 12:38 PM
Always hate to hear about motorcycle accidents especially involving :spyder: but glad to hear you guys are ok and hope for a speedy recovery.

cyclekid58
05-18-2015, 12:45 PM
Wow! Glad you guys are OK! Hope you have a quick recovery! Not sure if they work, but we put deer horns on our Spyder. So far, so good. We also use 3/4 helmets.

So has anyone had any experience showing that putting deer whistles on a spyder does work?

ARCTIC
05-18-2015, 12:46 PM
Hoping for a speedy recovery for both of you!

Magdave
05-18-2015, 12:57 PM
Deer whistle have been proven to be useless and may actually cause an accident. We do have an over abundance of deer here in SC unfortunately if you see one on the side of the road it is best to slow down. I am very careful IF I even ride at night outside the city limits. Coming around a curve not much to do except kiss the tank and hope for the best. Hope you heal fast.:thumbup:

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/how-effective-are-deer-whistles

Here is another take from Fred Rau one of the original Spyder 5 developers (incudes Lamont).

http://www.thevog.net/threads/deer-whistles-do-they-really-work-an-in-depth-report-by-fred-rau.3439/

Magdave
05-18-2015, 01:03 PM
Here is a cheap and easy device to alert deer that you are coming
http://www.thehomesecuritysuperstore.com/deer-whistle-warning-device-mac-p=2282?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Safety%20Gadgets&utm_term=deer%20wistle

Read my post :thumbup: I would not trust my life with that. :dontknow:

Geeky Ryder
05-18-2015, 01:05 PM
Sorry to hear of your Deer encounter. Hope you both recovery quickly. We have large deer herds in SW MO, too. I was shopping for a new helmet, and thanks to your information, now will definitely re-consider either full or modular. Currently have 3/4 because that's what the dealer "threw in" when we purchased our Spyders.

AY4B
05-18-2015, 01:24 PM
Read my post :thumbup: I would not trust my life with that. :dontknow:

I saw your post right after I posted mine. Ill delete mine for now. I had a friend that hit a deer and put one of these on his new truck thinking it wont happen again.

Talliphier
05-18-2015, 01:37 PM
Glad your ok !!!

WEB-WVR
05-18-2015, 01:39 PM
Hope you heal well and get a new Spyder soon. :pray::thumbup:

Nothing to do with this collisions BUT:

FYI Safety tip I read in a motorcycle magazine (Rider);

The Deer Caution signs are actually located based on the number of crashes with Deer/game in that area.
The article suggested when you see these signs to slow down by 10 mph, that that reduction in speed may give you a little extra time in making emergency decisions. :yikes:

Bob Denman
05-18-2015, 01:42 PM
Is THAT what those signs are for??? :opps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI&feature=player_detailpage

donkes
05-18-2015, 03:00 PM
Sure glad you were on a spyder and not a two wheeler. Hope you both have a comfortable and speedy recovery. :pray: amazing how much damage occurs when running into them.. Be safe...:thumbup:[/QUOTE]

Amen brother!

Bensonoid
05-18-2015, 04:19 PM
Makes me want to grab my gun and go on a deer killin' spree.

BajaRon
05-18-2015, 08:02 PM
Makes me want to grab my gun and go on a deer killin' spree.

I know we are going astray here but there was a guy who mounted 2 machine guns into the fog light ports on his RS. I can't find a picture of that Spyder but it looked pretty cool. Probably work better than Deer Whistles.

randyandsandy74
05-18-2015, 08:30 PM
Glad to hear you survived. Thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery:pray::pray:

jneg2
05-18-2015, 08:30 PM
Sure glad you were on a spyder and not a two wheeler. Hope you both have a comfortable and speedy recovery. :pray: amazing how much damage occurs when running into them.. Be safe...:thumbup:
I sold a Yamaha FJR a few years ago to a Canadian rider who wanted to replace his older model of the same bike. He had been riding with his wife on the pillion, and sliced right through a deer! Never fell, or had any injuries, but bike was trashed! Just goes to show!

dndfindley
05-18-2015, 08:39 PM
glad to hear you guys are mostly ok, spyders can be replaced. Living in upstate ny deer are a big concern up here they are everywhere

The answer is longer hunting seasons and larger quotas. Deer have become vermin. Allow hunters to harvest as many as needed. The meat can be donated to shelters and other organizations helping the poor and needy.

dndfindley
05-18-2015, 08:52 PM
Deer whistle have been proven to be useless and may actually cause an accident. We do have an over abundance of deer here in SC unfortunately if you see one on the side of the road it is best to slow down. I am very careful IF I even ride at night outside the city limits. Coming around a curve not much to do except kiss the tank and hope for the best. Hope you heal fast.:thumbup:

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/how-effective-are-deer-whistles

Here is another take from Fred Rau one of the original Spyder 5 developers (incudes Lamont).

http://www.thevog.net/threads/deer-whistles-do-they-really-work-an-in-depth-report-by-fred-rau.3439/

I read both links and agree that whistles do not work. However I know of something that works remarkably well in the proper hands - a 30.06. Deer are vermin.

Firefly
05-18-2015, 09:01 PM
Glad you're both okay. Seen/heard of about a dozen Spyder/deer encounters and everyone walked away in each.

Another testament to the increased safety of the Spyder.

jwood4242
05-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Sorry to hear of your crash and the pain you guys must be suffering. Best to you for a full recovery.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
05-18-2015, 09:18 PM

I have Deer Horns on my Spyder and I have yet to see a deer while riding. I see plenty when in my truck w/o deer horns. My wife and I also use 3/4 helmets.

sandeejs
05-18-2015, 09:26 PM
Feel better, you guys.
Glad it wasn't worse.
~Sandee~

Ben Burped
05-18-2015, 09:52 PM

There is no reason that your RSS can't be fixed and enjoyed again. Don't let anyone tell you that it is totaled. Make them install the necessary parts to let you triumph, instead of letting the deer win. Get full face helmets and know in your heart that you didn't let this stop you. I'm praying for your recovery.

SpyFyg-2
05-18-2015, 10:43 PM
So glad you are both alright and praying for a quick recovery!! We also hit a deer with our Spyder (2012 RT Ltd) 2 years ago, June '13. We were on Interstate, going about 65 mph, a deer came up out of the median. Had just enough time to square up the handle bars and hit the brakes. I was driving and hubby was passenger. It was about 9:15 pm, later than we like to be out on bikes. I hit the deer square on in the side, it flew up and over us, landed about 20 feet off the shoulder, in the ditch. We had 3big cracks in the frunk lid, loosened up the mirrors and scratched up the spoiler, but we walked away and drove it home. About $1600.00 in damages and insurance took good care of us. We did put the deer whistler alarms on, don't know if they work but thought for $2.99, can't hurt!! Y'all take care and Ryde safe!! We also ride ATGATT.

mastertek2000
05-19-2015, 04:49 AM
Glad you guys are OK my wife want 3/4 helmets also to catvh a tan yup ok i said put the full face on and jump on is what she got

ChicoFowler
05-19-2015, 08:52 AM
The Big Man was watching you and has other things for you to do. Glad the injuries were not life threatening. Here's to a speedy recovering and many more "pleasant" riding miles.

AY4B
05-19-2015, 09:17 AM
I tried on a full face modular bell helmet on yesterday while dropping off my Spyder for repairs. I have a problem with neck pain while on long rides, wouldn't the full face add to that with the extra weight? I did go up from a half to a 3/4 when we bought our spyder.

Firefly
05-19-2015, 09:28 AM
There is no reason that your RSS can't be fixed and enjoyed again. Don't let anyone tell you that it is totaled. Make them install the necessary parts to let you triumph, instead of letting the deer win. Get full face helmets and know in your heart that you didn't let this stop you. I'm praying for your recovery.

Having it totaled might work out to his advantage... it did for me. I got within $1,000 of what I paid for my Spyder.. which was 4 years old and had 75,000 miles on it.
But I doubt this would be a case of being totaled.. unless the frame is bent as mine was.

Bob Denman
05-19-2015, 09:32 AM
:agree: IF the front nose of the frame has been tweaked... I'd push for a total loss. :shocked:

But; the front suspension still looks (to our VERY untrained eyes!), to be straight.

miltonb
05-19-2015, 05:09 PM
another deerslayer. glad to hear you made it thru. it gets better and you are blessed. good luck. :pray: deer slayer milt

Motorcycledave
05-19-2015, 05:37 PM
Get well soon, it's a bummer when this kind of thing happens.. I know I hit a very large dog a Mastive while
on my GoldWing about 10 years ago at about 50mph did not go down but made a mess of the bike and the dog
didn't fair to well but lived...
Rest Up get well and get back on, but go buy modular or full face helmets.....
Dave

Big Arm
05-19-2015, 10:13 PM
I know we are going astray here but there was a guy who mounted 2 machine guns into the fog light ports on his RS. I can't find a picture of that Spyder but it looked pretty cool. Probably work better than Deer Whistles.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107752&stc=1

Deer Slayer
05-20-2015, 06:45 AM
That should move the Blue Hairs out of your road. Damn! I am a Blue Hair!:yikes:

SpyderAnn01
05-20-2015, 09:45 AM
Don't know how I missed this post but I'm glad to hear that you both will be okay.

Lew L
05-20-2015, 11:14 AM
After reading this thread and one other on the subject of "deer wistles" I come to a simple conclusion:

OPEN SEASON ON DEER.

In some parts on the country there is a serious overpopulation of them. "We" have seriously restricted deer hunting in many locals and of course hunted thier preditors close to extinction. More Winchester 30-30's !!!

And less=======
Kaos

spydaman60
05-20-2015, 11:21 AM
The answer is longer hunting seasons and larger quotas. Deer have become vermin. Allow hunters to harvest as many as needed. The meat can be donated to shelters and other organizations helping the poor and needy.nj has that now with unlimited doe tags. we still have 44 to 46 deer per square mile in the northern part of the state.nojoke

Saluda
05-20-2015, 01:39 PM
Muzzle PETA first.

Lew L
05-20-2015, 03:00 PM
Muzzle PETA first.

​+1

jcthorne
05-20-2015, 03:57 PM
People Eating Tasty Animals?

I happen to like venison.....shoot all you want, I have freezer space.

LeClaireRog
05-20-2015, 04:17 PM

I've been thinking about getting a modular or full face helmet from Arai or Shoei but didn't know if I wanted to spend the money. Thanks for helping make the right decision.