PDA

View Full Version : Rain Gear

TopCat
05-16-2015, 10:33 AM
I'm heading cross country (1st time) :yes:, probably into a few rain showers, especially through Texas. Would appreciate any input as the best type of rain gear ryding on the 2014 RT. Sitting behind the stock windshield, what would you suggest for type (brand) of jacket, pants and boots or boot covers. Thanks for any and all suggestions. I guess I could wait for a clear weather forecast ;) to ryde in, but what's the fun in that? :ohyea:

murphybrown
05-16-2015, 10:43 AM
I'm heading cross country (1st time) :yes:, probably into a few rain showers, especially through Texas. Would appreciate any input as the best type of rain gear ryding on the 2014 RT. Sitting behind the stock windshield, what would you suggest for type (brand) of jacket, pants and boots or boot covers. Thanks for any and all suggestions. I guess I could wait for a clear weather forecast ;) to ryde in, but what's the fun in that? :ohyea:

I am on my 3rd set of rain gear (had these for 3 years and give them a 10+). Started with FrogTog...lasted one trip..light rains fine, downpours NOT. Then onto Cabellas...worked better..but not GREAT. Switched to Can-AM 3 years ago and they are the best. That is for my jacket and pants: Shoe/Boot covers I use gore tex gaiters...gloves, not that is a whole diff beast. I have tried soooo many can't remember them all...tried sprays etc etc etc...can't get those seams sealed...so I have an ugly pair of rubber gloves that fit over my regular gloves...would love to use those fancy colored dish washing rubber gloves...but not big enough to go over regular gloves. AND have started using the new Rain X for Plastic....on both windshield and face shield...definite benefit. :thumbup:

cptjam
05-16-2015, 10:44 AM
Aerostitch
i wear a Darien light
and AD1 pants. Dry as a bone over 8 years.
Not cheap!
I believe it is the best I have tried. Joe

Bob Denman
05-16-2015, 10:47 AM
TourMaster suit... I've never gotten wet when wearing one! :2thumbs:

PrairieSpyder
05-16-2015, 10:51 AM
I have the Can-Am one-piece suit I got on sale at the Maggie Valley OE. I've lost weight since and it's way too big, but I'll keep using it as long as it works - and it does! I got fishing gloves from Wal-mart to go over my summer gloves. I also have a pair of boot covers. I saw this advertised:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107595&stc=1
I sprayed my non-waterproof boots with it. But I haven't had a chance to see how well it works.

murphybrown
05-16-2015, 10:52 AM
TourMaster suit... I've never gotten wet when wearing one! :2thumbs: I love my tourmaster suit...but after a few years it has lost it's waterproof properties...now I just throw my rain gear on top of. But highly recommend that TourMaster suit from Bajaron:thumbup:

murphybrown
05-16-2015, 10:55 AM
I have the Can-Am one-piece suit I got on sale at the Maggie Valley OE. I've lost weight since and it's way too big, but I'll keep using it as long as it works - and it does! I got fishing gloves from Wal-mart to go over my summer gloves. I also have a pair of boot covers. I saw this advertised:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107595&stc=1
I sprayed my non-waterproof boots with it. But I haven't had a chance to see how well it works.

I also have the Ice Fishing Gloves from WalMart...they work like a neoprene dive suit...which is fine unless it is also very cold...then the insulating layer of water turns CHILLY+...but they are in my bag of rain tricks!! Going to see if I can find that spray..worth a try..:thumbup:

Larry rt
05-16-2015, 04:19 PM
I have the BRP ,2 piece suit,works great.
I also have the Olimpia Motor sports suit (mesh).Great on hot days,plenty of oversized vents.Comes with rain insert and insulation.
BRP rain boots, comfortable, ware n sunny Ana rainy days!

Orange Spyder Man
05-16-2015, 04:28 PM
+1 on a Tour Master 2 - piece rain suit... and buy some latex surgical gloves for rain gloves.. they are cheap and you can toss them when finished ..

osm

STELLING MAN
05-16-2015, 08:22 PM
I also have the two piece Tour Master rain suit, It's the best one I've ever had, rode three straight days In the rain on a trip out west In 08 and never got wet at all..

SpyderAnn01
05-16-2015, 09:21 PM
Tony, I'm sure you probably don't want to invest too much money in rain gear since you live in Phoenix. If this is a one time big trip to the land of rain then maybe you should just get something inexpensive like Frog Toggs. I have a pair of First Gear overpants that I have had since 2010 and they have never let me down. Currently I wear the CanAm Cavalier textile jacket and it is great, I love the built in hood that keeps the water from running down your back.

One good tip is if you think it might rain put your gear on, don't wait because rain gear over wet clothes doesn't help you much at all. Have a great trip.

ARtraveler
05-16-2015, 10:47 PM
For me, Firstgear textiles.

Many others have mentioned Frogg Toggs.

Fat Baxter
05-16-2015, 11:33 PM
Another vote for the Tour Master 2-piece suit. I use Aerostich's "triple digit" glove covers in the rain. They also double as an additional windbreaker layer in cold weather over regular gloves.

http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/gloves/rain-glove-covers/aerostich-triple-digit-covers.html

As for footwear, I have a pair of BMW gore-tex lined boots.

jaherbst
05-17-2015, 12:21 AM

A large garbage bag upside down with holes cut out for head and arms.

Jack

mastertek2000
05-17-2015, 05:17 AM
REV'IT! rain gear one piece Hi-Viz Neon Gear

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-pacific-h2o-rain-suit

trikermutha
05-17-2015, 07:18 AM
My old Harley Rain gear works great too..

I know it will clash with the spyder..:roflblack:

redhorse
05-17-2015, 08:23 AM

you can not go wrong with first gear or tour master

Oldmanzues
05-17-2015, 08:46 PM
I like the Frog toggs, they have more then one version. Last set lasted years with great results, this set ( 3years old) is called road toggs
Oldmanzues

blitzkreig
05-17-2015, 10:20 PM
I use a Rev'It two piece Everest which cost me more than I could possibly confess too but it is truly a 4 season piece of gear. To about 85 degrees anyhow ... then I put on a mesh. But it is truly waterproof and is good until about 5 degrees below freezing. Then comes out the heated gear ...

Such is life in Calgary Canada ...

brerrabbit
05-17-2015, 11:35 PM
How about gloves for a hail storm?

=bob=

TopCat
05-18-2015, 10:10 AM
Thanks for all of your suggestions. Now to decide.:banghead: If all else fails, I'll take Jack's suggestion and head over to Walmart and pick up some garbage bags. :roflblack::roflblack:

Dan McNally
05-18-2015, 10:23 AM
My Frogg Toggs have lasted two years, so far, and still keep me dry. I'll buy another set when they finally die. As for hail, I recently discovered that it hurts like :cus:!