PDA

View Full Version : oil check problem

jcasey
05-15-2015, 12:54 PM
Hi all. I searched oil check and got nothing. I am having trouble with checking oil in 2013 sts. I have been told two different ways by two dealers. When I check it cold(after sitting for a couple of days) it shows just above the fill line. If I let it warm up it shows overfull. Should I check it cold or warm? Sorry for the stupid question but I want to get it right. How do you check yours? Also are they prone to use oil?:banghead:

JKMSPYDER
05-15-2015, 01:13 PM
Manual says to check when warm. If above top line when warm you have overfilled. Siphon some of it out. The V twin does use some oil, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 qt. between changes.

jcasey
05-15-2015, 01:40 PM
Manual says to check when warm. If above top line when warm you have overfilled. Siphon some of it out. The V twin does use some oil, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 qt. between changes.
Thanks! Was thru Murphy Monday. Love riding up there!

billybovine
05-15-2015, 01:43 PM
I would believe the manual.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107543&stc=1

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-15-2015, 01:45 PM
tip:......Always check your oil AFTER YOU ride..........then it is ....always correct temp ( unless you just rode around the block :roflblack:).......and you KNOW it is correct.....Before you start your next ride , so you don't have to worry or waste time waiting for it to warm up.............Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
05-15-2015, 01:49 PM
:agree: if you don't take a ryde the best is to let her run till the fan comes on. Keep it under the full line....:thumbup:

Highwayman2013
05-15-2015, 02:41 PM
Yep, I check mine right after a long ride.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-15-2015, 04:01 PM
:agree: if you don't take a ryde the best is to let her run till the fan comes on. Keep it under the full line....:thumbup:

If you aren't taking the Spyder for a ride ..............why would you check the OIL ??????...............you Sir have tooooooooo much free time :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:.......................your buddy Mike :yes::yes::yes:

900Dave
05-15-2015, 04:10 PM

That might work on an SM5. When I did that on my SE it showed low, nothing on the dip stick at all. So I added oil. The next time I rode it showed it was waaaaay overfull.
I no longer check it unless I get back from a ride so I know the oil is really warm and has been pumped through the transmission.

AY4B
05-16-2015, 06:33 AM
We discussed this on another thread. I went threw the same experience and ended up overfilling it. The manual says to bring it to operating temp. The temp guage is not a reading of oil operating temp, it is coolant temp. Always check after a ride to make sure.

AY4B
05-16-2015, 06:53 AM
Correction on my last post. The manual says to bring it to operating temp. I just thought idling it till the temp gauge reads 4 bars was what it meant. Baja Ron set me straight on that thread.

Not sure how you brought your Spyder up to 'Operating Temperature'. But there are a few things that are important.

[It is not good to idle your Spyder (or any vehicle) for a long period of time.
Coolant will come to operating temperature even at idle. And it will come to operating temperature (under any condition) long before the oil will come to operating temperature. Especially if you are not riding the Spyder. At idle, the oil may never come to operating temperature.
To get the Oil Temperature to 'Operating Temperature' you need to ride your Spyder for at least a few miles AFTER the coolant temperature is at 'Operating Temperature'.
If the oil is not at operating temperature you are not getting an accurate reading, regardless of what your temperature gauge says.

I check my oil level at the end of a ride or at a gas stop during a ride. This way I am sure that my oil is at operating temperature (which is really what the manual is referencing). Checking at the end of a ride works great since if you don't find a puddle of oil on the floor you know it's going to be the same when you get back on.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
05-19-2015, 09:17 PM
I am pretty sure that the manual for my 2012RT (yeah I know this is the ST shop talk) has a paragraph in the oil change section that states that if you are checking your oil when it is cold, then the level should only come up to the halfway point on the dipstick. And before you ask, I always check my oil level immediately after a nice long ride. I do not check it while its cold. Again, I may be wrong, but I just checked my manual here at work. I am guessing that it takes awhile for us newbies the first time we do our own oil change, and you are not supposed to just let the engine idle for any length of time. That is probably why it is in that section of the manual.

billybovine
05-20-2015, 08:52 AM
I am pretty sure that the manual for my 2012RT (yeah I know this is the ST shop talk) has a paragraph in the oil change section that states that if you are checking your oil when it is cold, then the level should only come up to the halfway point on the dipstick. And before you ask, I always check my oil level immediately after a nice long ride. I do not check it while its cold. Again, I may be wrong, but I just checked my manual here at work. I am guessing that it takes awhile for us newbies the first time we do our own oil change, and you are not supposed to just let the engine idle for any length of time. That is probably why it is in that section of the manual.

I have just looked at the 2012RT manual and cannot find any reference to how to check oil level cold. :dontknow:

The problem with trying to check the oil level cold is on occasion, oil will drain from the oil tank back into the engine sump. That will put you at risk of overfilling. In fact this can happen hot as well. So if it takes you a while to check the oil after a ride. As the procedure says idle the engine for 30 seconds to clear the sump.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
05-21-2015, 02:51 AM
I have just looked at the 2012RT manual and cannot find any reference to how to check oil level cold. :dontknow:

The problem with trying to check the oil level cold is on occasion, oil will drain from the oil tank back into the engine sump. That will put you at risk of overfilling. In fact this can happen hot as well. So if it takes you a while to check the oil after a ride. As the procedure says idle the engine for 30 seconds to clear the sump.

In the manual, on page 132, on the left hand side between steps 19 and 20 there is a note that states:

NOTE: The oil level dipstick is accurate

when the oil temperature is at80°C (176°F). If the oil level is checked when the oil is at room temperature20°C (68°F), the proper oil level indicationis half way between the lower(ADD) and upper (F) marks on the dipstick.This must be considered to prevent
overfilling the oil tank.

If you are looking at the PDF from BRP, it is on page 134.

But again, I always check my oil after I ride, not before. Fill as needed and I am ready for the next ride.

billybovine
05-21-2015, 08:36 AM
In the manual, on page 132, on the left hand side between steps 19 and 20 there is a note that states:

when the oil temperature is at80°C (176°F). If the oil level is checked when the oil is at room temperature20°C (68°F), the proper oil level indicationis half way between the lower(ADD) and upper (F) marks on the dipstick.This must be considered to prevent

But again, I always check my oil after I ride, not before. Fill as needed and I am ready for the next ride.

You are correct in that does say exactly what you said. But you must keep in mind the context of where it is in the manual. It is in the section of the manual that refers to checking the oil level after first start, after the oil change. When you have fill the oil tank with cold oil. It is not on pages 129 and 130 "Engine Oil Level Verification" which is the correct procedure for regularly checking the oil level.

900Dave
05-21-2015, 03:25 PM

I believe that if you fill it half way between full and empty when cold it will be overful. When I change the oil I fill it so the oil is just touching the bottom of the dipstick. Then after going for a short ride when everything is warmed up the level rises up to the full mark.

AZ Y Factor
05-21-2015, 08:27 PM

In the ST Manual it's on page 112 for checking at room temperature.

ingramwc
05-22-2015, 03:59 PM
I noticed my oil light on when I turned the key to wake the Spyder for a run. The light stayed on, so I started the engine and the light turned off. I ran some errands and came back home. The engine was nice and hot now. I checked the oil and it was full! Is the oil light being on during initial wake up normal? Sorry, newb here.

billybovine
05-22-2015, 04:27 PM
I noticed my oil light on when I turned the key to wake the Spyder for a run. The light stayed on, so I started the engine and the light turned off. I ran some errands and came back home. The engine was nice and hot now. I checked the oil and it was full! Is the oil light being on during initial wake up normal? Sorry, newb here.

The oil pressure light should be on when you turn on the key. There is no oil pressure. I will bet this is exactly the same as your car. When you start the engine, the oil pump starts pumping oil and makes oil pressure. The oil pressure light then goes out. Then if you stop the engine using the stop switch leaving the key on the oil light will come back on because the oil pump is not running and not making oil pressure.

ingramwc
05-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Billybovine, thanks for answering! I was hoping that was the reason. No idiot light in my truck, just a pressure gauge.
Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup: