PDA

View Full Version : Hitch carrier thoughts

lwrydr
05-14-2015, 10:06 AM
I just returned from Spyderfest and instead of towing a trailer on my 3 1/2 week trip (over 5225 miles) I used my hitch carrier. It worked fine
except the bolts to keep it from bouncing did not work but bungies helped. The biggest problem was loading and unloading the carrier every
day and night. That got pretty old after a while. I also wrapped everything in plastic bags cause it got very wet out. I think the carrier is fine for 1 day
(overnight) cruises or wanting to take a small cooler along but that is about all. I will be towing my trailer when I go to SITR in august. Just some thoughts I had.

Chupaca
05-14-2015, 10:34 AM
Unless you have a clip on system they can be a hassle. They are great for day trips, overnighter, picnics and such. Those parts do get a workout being connected to the rear wheel especially on backroads...:thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-14-2015, 03:58 PM
A super light aluminum box can be made from 26 or 28 ga. alumin. sheet. to fit the carrier......This might weigh 8 lbs.....( I think less ) I don't think it would even need to have a frame. This way you can stuff your things in the BOX and just strap it to the carrier. Because this would be basically a super strong cover it wouldn't be waterproof. so you would still need to keep things bagged..............Mike :thumbup:

Roadster Renovations
05-14-2015, 08:19 PM
Just wait about another week. I have a solution that will work pretty well........

lwrydr
05-14-2015, 08:23 PM
Looking forward to your solution...

SpyderAnn01
05-15-2015, 12:22 AM
Dave, I kind of thought you would be less than impressed with it for the long haul.

lwrydr
05-17-2015, 11:19 AM
Dave, I kind of thought you would be less than impressed with it for the long haul.

I hate it when the woman is right....sounds like my wife.....:bowdown::bowdown:btw, the day after I got back from the trip she left for Europe. Chatted with her
yesterday and she is in France....and yes i'm jealous....:yes::yes:

bluedeval03
08-05-2015, 04:13 AM
Just wait about another week. I have a solution that will work pretty well........

doc, what did you come up with?

Roadster Renovations
08-05-2015, 06:26 AM
I just returned from Spyderfest and instead of towing a trailer on my 3 1/2 week trip (over 5225 miles) I used my hitch carrier. It worked fine
except the bolts to keep it from bouncing did not work but bungies helped. The biggest problem was loading and unloading the carrier every
day and night. That got pretty old after a while. I also wrapped everything in plastic bags cause it got very wet out. I think the carrier is fine for 1 day
(overnight) cruises or wanting to take a small cooler along but that is about all. I will be towing my trailer when I go to SITR in august. Just some thoughts I had.

Not sure if that is one you made or one of ours that we sell, but we are working on two factors that might help those problems.
1. On our Spyder Pack we are devising quick release connectors so that the entire Pack can be unloaded in less than one minute.
2. On the Spyder Rack we will be creating a suspension adaptor that will mount to the hitch and then the Rack will mount to it.
Probably not get them done this riding season.......too busy!

Vt. Rider
08-05-2015, 06:46 AM
Rivco has a great hitch/carrier and luggage combo. I hate hauling a trailer with a motorcycle, but haven't tried it on the Spyder. I used the Rivco setup on my Goldwing for years. Works wonderfully. Last year I took it on a trip from Vermont down to Hot Springs, Arkansas and out to Colorado for three weeks. Between the trunk, the saddlebags and the Rivco, there was enough room for whatever my wife and I needed.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
08-05-2015, 07:33 AM
i have doc's trailer rack i used it to go on a 4 day trip this past 4th.worked great for me, i also had a trunk organizer that i had from my wife's
honda, fit very snug on the rack & i loaded my bag & other stuff in it.