PDA

View Full Version : BUILDING A SKI-DOO

oldguyinTX
05-14-2015, 08:07 AM
Watch until the end to find out how long it takes to build one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf8fm5NpFE4

Bob Denman
05-14-2015, 08:14 AM
:clap: Dang; you're making me drool... :shocked:

mxz600
05-14-2015, 08:44 AM
Thanks for posting.

It took three hours to build, start to finish.

It takes only three brain cells and the blink of an eye to destroy one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9lDpvT-_6E

grumpybob
05-14-2015, 10:03 AM
Speed always has a way to catch up with you.

Bob Denman
05-14-2015, 10:15 AM
Yup! :agree:
I destroyed two of my own sleds in one careless moment in 1980... :gaah:

Chupaca
05-14-2015, 10:27 AM
some day I will have to try one of those critters. Looks like lotta fun but a bit scary cause there are no double lines to follow...:roflblack:

mxz600
05-14-2015, 10:29 AM
Yup! :agree:
I destroyed two of my own sleds in one careless moment in 1980... :gaah:

There must be a good story behind this, I would like to hear it someday. We'll have to get together for a cup of coffee and some bacon.

mxz600
05-14-2015, 10:47 AM
some day I will have to try one of those critters. Looks like lotta fun but a bit scary cause there are no double lines to follow...:roflblack:

I've posted this video before but I'm having trouble posting new vids on YouTube.

So Chupaca, for your enjoyment, take a ride on my mxz600. Just ignore if you've already seen it.

Watch closely at the beginning when at the stop sign. Yes the front of the sled is coming off the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkEdfvnjmQ8

Chupaca
05-14-2015, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the ryde..does look like fun out there. Nice trails....

garb55
05-14-2015, 11:19 AM

You mean with all that snow in San Diego you have not tried on e yet :roflblack:

Chupaca
05-14-2015, 11:37 AM
Missed out while on the east coast so now still waiting for the sand-doo..till then the spyder it is...yay

Bob Denman
05-14-2015, 11:53 AM
A "Sand Doo"; you say???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ECIOAEjVviI

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-14-2015, 05:56 PM
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: :yikes:....I've worked on more sno-mobiles than I can even remember and even if one of them went together in three weeks :gaah:....never mind three hours :lecturef_smilie: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: ...........Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-14-2015, 06:15 PM
There must be a good story behind this, I would like to hear it someday. We'll have to get together for a cup of coffee and some bacon.
It's Beaut!! :opps:
February, 1980... I had two college "co-conspirators" up to visit, and ride sleds... :D
It's snowing like crazy, so I take them out through a couple of hundred acre woodlot, to the back fields of a neighboring farm property.
I'm on my 1979 Scorpion Sting 440
The accident victim, is on my old 1976 Scorpion Range Whip 400
#3 is on my Dad's Polaris TX440...
We enter into a large (500 by 300 yard) field, that has a gentle rise in the middle of it... you can't see over it, but if you hit it at 35 mph; you get some GREAT hang time!
My Sting, and the Big TX are blasting around like kids in a Candy Store; the powder is awesome... The guy on my old 400 is struggling... (He's a SLOW learner about mechanized stuff...)
Finally; two of us are a the far end of the field, wondering where my Range Whip is...
"He must be stuck (again)... let's go dig him out!"
So I blast down the field; figuring on hitting the jump at 35 mph...
...AND THERE HE IS !!! :yikes:
Coming up the back side of the hill. I'm airborne now, and was about to make a perfect one point landing right on top of him...
So I flipped the Sting on it's side in the air, and bailed off... :shocked:
My ski landed dead-center on the hood, and the sled rode up over the crushed remains of the 400, and that ski then hit my buddy square in the cheekbone; two inches under his eyeball!! :barf:
When I stopped rolling, I just KNEW that I had killed him... The impact tore the helmet off of his head; a much better choice, than tearing his head off of his neck!
Well; I did ring his bell pretty good... Gave him a hum-dinger of a concussion, and splintered his eye socket. He spent about a Month in the Hospital, and never got back on a sled again.
The Sting had the Belly pan split in half, a crushed exhaust canister, and a busted ski.
The Range Whip was gone... It even buckled the chassis back at midpoint under the tank and seat. The motor mounts were torn loose from the engine, and the gas tank was split.
I put the skis from it on the Sting, and sold the salvaged the track and instruments; that's it... :opps:

mxz600
05-15-2015, 06:24 AM
It's Beaut!! :opps:
February, 1980... I had two college "co-conspirators" up to visit, and ride sleds... :D
It's snowing like crazy, so I take them out through a couple of hundred acre woodlot, to the back fields of a neighboring farm property.
I'm on my 1979 Scorpion Sting 440
The accident victim, is on my old 1976 Scorpion Range Whip 400
#3 is on my Dad's Polaris TX440...
We enter into a large (500 by 300 yard) field, that has a gentle rise in the middle of it... you can't see over it, but if you hit it at 35 mph; you get some GREAT hang time!
My Sting, and the Big TX are blasting around like kids in a Candy Store; the powder is awesome... The guy on my old 400 is struggling... (He's a SLOW learner about mechanized stuff...)
Finally; two of us are a the far end of the field, wondering where my Range Whip is...
"He must be stuck (again)... let's go dig him out!"
So I blast down the field; figuring on hitting the jump at 35 mph...
...AND THERE HE IS !!! :yikes:
Coming up the back side of the hill. I'm airborne now, and was about to make a perfect one point landing right on top of him...
So I flipped the Sting on it's side in the air, and bailed off... :shocked:
My ski landed dead-center on the hood, and the sled rode up over the crushed remains of the 400, and that ski then hit my buddy square in the cheekbone; two inches under his eyeball!! :barf:
When I stopped rolling, I just KNEW that I had killed him... The impact tore the helmet off of his head; a much better choice, than tearing his head off of his neck!
Well; I did ring his bell pretty good... Gave him a hum-dinger of a concussion, and splintered his eye socket. He spent about a Month in the Hospital, and never got back on a sled again.
The Sting had the Belly pan split in half, a crushed exhaust canister, and a busted ski.
The Range Whip was gone... It even buckled the chassis back at midpoint under the tank and seat. The motor mounts were torn loose from the engine, and the gas tank was split.
I put the skis from it on the Sting, and sold the salvaged the track and instruments; that's it... :opps:

Well I guess no coffee & bacon.

WOW!! I knew there was a good story to be heard, and that was good. I've got a couple of good ones but nothing like that. When you cross that line where serious injury or loss of life is possible, that is another ballgame.

Bob I am glad you are still here today to tell stories such as these. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-15-2015, 06:53 AM
Thanks... I really was never in danger. I was just too busy trying to NOT kill my buddy... :opps:
Oh! In spite of getting calls from several lawyers; he never sued me.
He felt that it was just one of those things...

mowin
05-15-2015, 07:55 AM
Now just imagine the outcome on today's modern sleds and speeds. :yikes:.

Had a few close call over the yrs myself, but nothing that close.

Bob Denman
05-15-2015, 08:23 AM
The speeds would probably have been similar... much more than 35 over that rise, and you run the risk of out-jumping the landing area. :shocked:
But the extra bulk of the newer sleds might have kept me from tipping mine out of the way of a direct impact! :yikes:
The Sting was only 342 pounds... :thumbup: