PDA

View Full Version : New Owner and observations

grapnel
05-12-2015, 10:34 AM
Hello From Kansas. My wife and I just bought a yellow 2013 RTS. I have a 2012 Road Glide that just hit 50,000 miles. my wife had been wanting a cycle, but was not ready to ride on just 2 wheels. We rode about 300 miles to a dealer and picked up her Spyder with 77 miles on it. She rode it home after riding around for a few minutes, I was impressed that she was able to ride that far and on the highway for her first ride.

She only had a few complaints, the crosswinds felt like it was going to blow her off the rode and she kept looking down to see if her foot was on fire from the heat. When I test rode it, I didn't notice the heat and only got up to about 55 mph and didn't really feel any cross winds.

After a 500 mile trip to KC and back, I was getting frustrated that she was having issues keeping up on the highway at times. When we got back home I decided that I needed to get more time on the highway to see if I could help her figure out what the issues were.

After doing some highway riding, I felt like the Spyder tracked pretty good, but the wind was actually moving me in the seat more than it was moving the bike on the road. When I was going with the wind I could go 80 mph with no effort. As soon as I got into some head or cross winds, wow was I having trouble staying in the seat. I have since ordered a new windshield in hope that it cuts back on some of the turbulence. And I read good things about a new sway bar.

As far as the heat goes, I ride a Harley and am used to the feeling like my leg is on fire if I wear shorts. I did read a few post about the 2013 having heat issues and will look more in to that when they actually have a fix for it.

I did find that the seat on the Spyder was not as comfortable as I thought it would be. The seat was cushy, but not particular comfortable. I asked my wife about the seat and she agreed. She asked about the comfort seat, but when I told her that it sat you back 2 inches, she declined. She wants taller bars that come back to her a few inches, not get them further away.

I don't like the way that I have to press the mode button to get back to the IPOD screen so that I can skip songs.

I like my turn signal switches on each hand better. It's not a huge issue, I rode for the 1st 10 years using the same kind of turn signal switch. I did get honked at from her a few times when we change lanes or turn because she accidentally hits the horn instead of the turn signal. I made fun of her and then did the same thing when I rode it.

I like the way that I can twist my throttle forward on the Harley to disengage the cruise control.

Over all I find it a fun bike to ride. I am not ready to get ride of my bike for a Spyder yet, but I do ride it occasionally. With it being so different than my bike or a car, I have no issues on trying to ride it like my bike or drive it like a car.

Last time I rode it to the store with my wife on the back, she tells me that she prefers being the driver and not the passenger for now on. And that I completely understand.

We are planning on going to Sturgis again this year, except this time she will be on her own ride. Hopefully we can get the wind and heat issues resolved so that she can have a more enjoyable trip.

My 2 favorite things about the Spyder, are the that I will never drop it. I have dropped my bike more than once, and that it has reverse. I love the reverse!

Cruzr Joe
05-12-2015, 10:51 AM
Check out Spyderpops ( a sponsor ) on the home page for the block off plate that redirects some of the heat on the foot. He is on vacation this week but if you call him next week he can help you divert the heat for a more pleasant ride, His name is Harvey and his phone # is 501 627-4008, he also sells the Sway Bar and numerous other items for the Spyder.:thumbup:

Cruzr Joe

grapnel
05-12-2015, 10:53 AM
Check out Spyderpops ( a sponsor ) on the home page for the block off plate that redirects some of the heat on the foot. He is on vacation this week but if you call him next week he can help you divert the heat for a more pleasant ride, His name is Harvey and his phone # is 501 627-4008, he also sells the Sway Bar and numerous other items for the Spyder.:thumbup:

Cruzr Joe

Thanks, might do that after we find out what the "fix' will be from the factory about their heat issues.

jcthorne
05-12-2015, 11:00 AM
I don't like the way that I have to press the mode button to get back to the IPOD screen so that I can skip songs.

There is a setting in the menu under display that will add basic audio controls to the main screen along with the speed. you will be able to skip to the next or previous track on ipod, or next station on radio.

BajaRon
05-12-2015, 11:08 AM
Thanks, might do that after we find out what the "fix' will be from the factory about their heat issues.

There are several 'Fixes' for the heat issue and you should definitely make sure all the factory things have been done. But riding with good boots and pants is the best cure for the heat. Riding long distance you'll stay cooler with mesh gear than you will with shorts and t-shirt.

grapnel
05-12-2015, 11:20 AM
There are several 'Fixes' for the heat issue and you should definitely make sure all the factory things have been done. But riding with good boots and pants is the best cure for the heat. Riding long distance you'll stay cooler with mesh gear than you will with shorts and t-shirt.

Agreed, she said her boots actually felt like they were shrinking on her foot from the heat.

grapnel
05-12-2015, 11:22 AM

There is a setting in the menu under display that will add basic audio controls to the main screen along with the speed. you will be able to skip to the next or previous track on ipod, or next station on radio.

Thanks, I will look for that.

Chupaca
05-12-2015, 11:29 AM
the heat issues and the fix from brp will likely not include the block off spyderpops has been selling for years. I know on our RS it eliminated that hot foot problem. With the swaybar you both will feel better in the wind. Congrats on the new ryde..:2thumbs: and welcome..:thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
05-12-2015, 01:47 PM
:welcome: & :congrats: to your wife on her new Spyder!! Where in Kansas are you located?

Look into the tri-axis handlebars. They really help my shoulders keep from getting sore on long rydes.

Saluda
05-12-2015, 01:57 PM
The Spyder does have a lot of surface area to catch the wind but that doesn't bother me any more (unless very strong).

ARtraveler
05-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Congratulations on your new :spyder2:. Previous posters have you covered on any "heat" issues you might encounter. Hopefully, your dealer mentioned a fix is on the way and you did not have to find out about that here.

Try to lighten up on the grip on regular rides or even in wind. White knuckles on the grip will cause over control on the :spyder2:. This will give it a squirrely feel. Pretend there are eggs between the hand and the bars--don't break them. A push/pull for turns also seems to work well.

A link for do's and don'ts gives a lot of information on the :ani29:. I will find it and come back with the link.

HELP! Where did the link go?

Bob Denman
05-12-2015, 02:17 PM
:welcome: :nopic::2thumbs:

grapnel
05-12-2015, 05:03 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107396&d=1431468179

CanAmChris
05-12-2015, 05:17 PM
Congratulations on your new :spyder2:. Previous posters have you covered on any "heat" issues you might encounter. Hopefully, your dealer mentioned a fix is on the way and you did not have to find out about that here.

Try to lighten up on the grip on regular rides or even in wind. White knuckles on the grip will cause over control on the :spyder2:. This will give it a squirrely feel. Pretend there are eggs between the hand and the bars--don't break them. A push/pull for turns also seems to work well.

A link for do's and don'ts gives a lot of information on the :ani29:. I will find it and come back with the link.

HELP! Where did the link go?

Here ya go:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

I never felt the heat problem as bad as others when I had my RSS. I always wear Gore-Tex boots though and that material works pretty good for heat and cold.

Orange Spyder Man
05-12-2015, 06:47 PM
When I had my last Harley... I thought no one could price parts & accessories any higher than Harley Davidson priced their stuff... well, I have to admit I was dead wrong... Harley does not hold a candle to BRP on prices of their parts & accessories.. :shocked:

osm

Deanna777
05-12-2015, 08:03 PM
:welcome:and :congrats: on your new :spyder2: Ride Safe Keep the shiny side up, glad that you found us. Deanna

Highwayman2013
05-12-2015, 08:37 PM
Welcome. There are many things people have done to relieve the heat, http://www.spyderpops.com/5.html like removing the splash pans under the engine and the block off plate.

SpyderAnn01
05-12-2015, 11:52 PM
Welcome. Tell your wife to check out Girls on Spyders on Facebook. Did you ask if the dealer had done the prior recall work? They wouldn't be the first to sell a 2013 without doing the recall work from September 2013.

Definitely get BajaRon's Sway Bar and have the Spyder laser aligned, it will make a world of difference in the handling. I'd wait on doing any heat modifications until you get the latest recall work done. If the new recall doesn't fix the hot foot (and you are wearing proper riding gear) then definitely check out Spyderpops and ISCI for their blockoff products.

wiredgeorge
05-13-2015, 07:39 AM
I have had my 2010 Spyder RT for over a week. Noticed the same lack of power going into heavy headwinds on my way home from the dealer (about a 250 mile ride). Then I figured out the v-twin Rotax engine needed rpms to be peppy. Stay out of 5th gear under 5K rpm. I also found the ride disconcerting in the wind. Felt like I was being buffeted around but I wasn't actually moving around on the road much. First thing I did when I got home was to set the rear shock air pressure at 65, the front shock pre-load to 5 and add a BajaRon anti-swaybar and metal Heim links (stock are plastic). This helped a BUNCH and calmed the Spyder in the wind. I have no sense of engine heat so can't help you there... may be a 2013 issue. When I ride solo, I ride a Triumph America as I still prefer two wheels at times; the Spyder is for two-up riding. Good luck and best to you both!

Firefly
05-13-2015, 08:52 AM
Great information given so far.

I would add the following and the Spyder will track like it's on rails:

Elka shocks in the front.
Upgraded sway bar and Heim Joints from Baja Ron
Ditch the cheap OEM tires and go with something like Bridgestone Potenza's.
Laser Alignment.

grapnel
05-13-2015, 09:13 AM
Thanks, lots of information to go with. I have ordered the sway bar and hope to install it this weekend. going to play with the air shocks to see what kind of difference it makes on the ride.

Seems like you lean forward on the seat rather than sitting in to it. I am considering having a few inches shaved to lower it down, looks like there is enough foam to do that.

Pennyrick
05-13-2015, 09:37 AM
Thanks, lots of information to go with. I have ordered the sway bar and hope to install it this weekend. going to play with the air shocks to see what kind of difference it makes on the ride.

Seems like you lean forward on the seat rather than sitting in to it. I am considering having a few inches shaved to lower it down, looks like there is enough foam to do that.

A few additional thoughts.....

The addition of the SpyderPops blocker combined with floorboards that direct heat down to the pavement eliminated any 'hot foot' problem on my 2012.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107433&stc=1

See how the board flips up in front, fitting into the lower vent so that all the heat goes away from the rider.

Also the addition of a custom seat is expensive but in my mind very worthwhile.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107434&stc=1 The addition of my Ultimate seat may be the best investment I have made on the Spyder. It turned 90 minute rides into four-hour rides. Here is a shot showing the depth from front to back. Mine is ostrich trimmed but you don't have to be that extravagant.

Firefly
05-13-2015, 08:10 PM
Make sure and do the upgraded heim joints when you do the sway bar. The OEM ones can break easily... Especially with the stronger sway bar installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tango
05-13-2015, 09:07 PM
:welcome: :congrats: