PDA

View Full Version : Burn notice for F-3s Paras and those without feeling in legs

Jaymac
05-11-2015, 12:27 PM
Last night coming off a 130 mile ride I lost a 1 1/2 flap of skin off my right heel big blisted had popped. A little back ground. Saturday I went for a 170 mile trip in mid day. Very hot day about 93 degrees gauge temp indicator for outside temp ranged from 96 to 104 reads high. I did a lot of low speed driving hitting beach roads up north of Tampa. Got home and no issues. Sunday went for 130 mile drive from 20 miles above Tampa area to below Sarasota FL. Same hot day, lots of slow traffic as I hit all the congested beaches. I have includes pics below.I checked my feet several times when I would stop but no huge amount of heat. The 3 possible causes 1. Foot to close to engine but it is probably 4 to 5 inches away can't measure for sure have to stay in to take care of foot. 2. heel is directly out from exhaust pipe flange and I could have a small leak shooting towards heel. 3. Burn could be a combination of heat and rubbing from upward pressure on ball of foot stretching heel tendon setting off bounce spasm. I was wearing a low top converse shoe. I bought a set of boots full zipper down side but do to a high arch can't get my foot in them. I will slice the arch area to see if I can make them fit. Soon as I can get back out to the garage I will figure out a heat to install and also will bend foot petal extension so my foot is at the same angle as my chair pedals so will not get foot spasms. Just everyone please be carful with the possibility of foot heat and burns. I will loose 2 weeks ridding if not more healing this.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107318&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107319&stc=1Side note been a T-10 para for 40 years and driven and all sorts of equipment I converted to hand controls so know how my body handles situations and issues that come up with machines we are not suppose to drive.

Magdave
05-11-2015, 12:30 PM
Sorry to say no motorcycle is designed for short canvas tennis shoes. Get the right gear and you will be fine. You might be able to ride a Moped with those shoes. Hope you heal soon.

Jaymac
05-11-2015, 12:53 PM
Sorry to say no motorcycle is designed for short canvas tennis shoes. Get the right gear and you will be fine. You might be able to ride a Moped with those shoes. Hope you heal soon.

Totally agree with the shoe comment but it's very difficult to find a boot u can get your foot into when u have high arches and lack the ability to move and lift your toes as u slide the feet into the shoes. The boots I had ordered were zippered all the way down the side but they were made over seas and they have no Idea of Americans feet or for hemet size. I have a HJC full face xxL but is very tight I wear a size 7 1/4 this helmet claims it's up to size 8 but will have to order me a new one as it is to small and hurts the head after a hours drive.

cuznjohn
05-11-2015, 01:01 PM
i would think that if you go to a shoe maker or a seat maker you could have a piece of leather made as a shield with velcro to hold it to your leg to block the heat. no riding is worth the burns. main reason i got rid of my 13 rt

Chupaca
05-11-2015, 01:24 PM
hope it heals up quickly...have similar issues but you might try military lace up boots to accomodate the ach but also give you ease to get your foot in. Takes a bit to relace but will give you protection. :thumbup:

daveinva
05-11-2015, 01:58 PM
So sorry to hear this. That said, the above verdict is right-- Chucks are not viable riding shoes, not even on a trike where you don't have to put your feet down. Bikes are not cars, bikes get hot.

If you're having trouble finding a boot that fits and is easy to take on and off, consider dual sport/touring motorcycle boots. Most models will have a full-length zipper down the side that you can open up the entire boot quite wide and fit your foot in. There are plenty of models also with mesh/perforated leather to allow some airflow in while still protecting from heat. Most big dealers carry at least some selection, but online I like Revzilla.com-- plenty of reviews and video info, plus free returns when things don't fit.

A big boot is definitely not the "casual Florida rider" look, but it's more protective both on, and heaven forbid, *off* the bike.

GOZFST
05-11-2015, 02:06 PM
Totally agree with the shoe comment but it's very difficult to find a boot u can get your foot into when u have high arches and lack the ability to move and lift your toes as u slide the feet into the shoes. The boots I had ordered were zippered all the way down the side but they were made over seas and they have no Idea of Americans feet or for hemet size. I have a HJC full face xxL but is very tight I wear a size 7 1/4 this helmet claims it's up to size 8 but will have to order me a new one as it is to small and hurts the head after a hours drive.
Look for Cruiser Works short side zip boots, I have high arches and right ankle fused, so I can't bend it. They work great for me. I've had these for over 15 years and just had them resoled this winter.

Magdave
05-11-2015, 02:40 PM
Here are the ones I use and they fit well to size and are very comfy. No zipper and very adjustable Velcro

http://www.compacc.com/p/shadow-parkway-waterproof-motorcycle-boots

http://www.compacc.com/images/product/300/53468_4.jpg

Jaymac
05-11-2015, 04:03 PM
Thank you for all the responses. I ordered a set of long leggings and a new pair of Cruiser Works wide wide zippered boots that should do the trick and allow me to get them on. Will remake my foot holders to accommodate the wider heel. Also will install a heat shield when I get it designed and made. Thank you again for the suggestions.

kngfsh27
05-11-2015, 04:18 PM
Sorry for the burn sidelining you for a while. Glad you ordered a pair of boots. Really happy that you are able to get out and do what you love doing. :clap:

landrover97
01-09-2016, 08:18 PM
Last night coming off a 130 mile ride I lost a 1 1/2 flap of skin off my right heel big blisted had popped. A little back ground. Saturday I went for a 170 mile trip in mid day. Very hot day about 93 degrees gauge temp indicator for outside temp ranged from 96 to 104 reads high. I did a lot of low speed driving hitting beach roads up north of Tampa. Got home and no issues. Sunday went for 130 mile drive from 20 miles above Tampa area to below Sarasota FL. Same hot day, lots of slow traffic as I hit all the congested beaches. I have includes pics below.I checked my feet several times when I would stop but no huge amount of heat. The 3 possible causes 1. Foot to close to engine but it is probably 4 to 5 inches away can't measure for sure have to stay in to take care of foot. 2. heel is directly out from exhaust pipe flange and I could have a small leak shooting towards heel. 3. Burn could be a combination of heat and rubbing from upward pressure on ball of foot stretching heel tendon setting off bounce spasm. I was wearing a low top converse shoe. I bought a set of boots full zipper down side but do to a high arch can't get my foot in them. I will slice the arch area to see if I can make them fit. Soon as I can get back out to the garage I will figure out a heat to install and also will bend foot petal extension so my foot is at the same angle as my chair pedals so will not get foot spasms. Just everyone please be carful with the possibility of foot heat and burns. I will loose 2 weeks ridding if not more healing this.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107318&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107319&stc=1Side note been a T-10 para for 40 years and driven and all sorts of equipment I converted to hand controls so know how my body handles situations and issues that come up with machines we are not suppose to drive.

I hope you have healed by now. There could be some friction from your footplate that coursed this injury. I live in Australia and have similar heat. I have used surfboard rubber material that has stick on material on one side. This could make the footplate softer for your foot, but check out the vibration on the footplate too.