PDA

View Full Version : Intercom - CB kit

Imnotlost
05-11-2015, 11:42 AM
So my wife and I already have the Edsets that we purchased for the Harley intercom system and really like the quality of sound they produce. I have priced the intercom/cb kit for the Spyder (cough, sputter), but am still considering getting one. However, I would really like to see and hear one first and my local dealership doesn't have any installed on their models. Does anyone in the north Florida area have this system installed on their RT? I would be grateful to anyone willing to share their experience with this system.

Thanks!

Doc - Riverside
05-12-2015, 07:53 AM
Sent you a PM

trikermutha
05-12-2015, 10:41 AM
Maybe a good Bluetooth headset will be better??

ThreeWheels
05-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Maybe a good Bluetooth headset will be better??

I second that.
I had the factory Intercon/CB setup with my 2010. To be honest, I fought the bluetooth setup all teh way.
When travelling, I didn't want the hassle of recharging my phone AND two bluetooth headsets.
It turns out that I didn't have to worry about recharging multiple devices.
I got the BRP Sena set up with my 2014. I also found a multiport charger and can plug 5 devices in at once.
The quality of the bluetooth is exceptional compared to the wired system.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.

MarkLawson
05-12-2015, 05:33 PM
I second that.
I had the factory Intercon/CB setup with my 2010. To be honest, I fought the bluetooth setup all teh way.
When travelling, I didn't want the hassle of recharging my phone AND two bluetooth headsets.
It turns out that I didn't have to worry about recharging multiple devices.
I got the BRP Sena set up with my 2014. I also found a multiport charger and can plug 5 devices in at once.
The quality of the bluetooth is exceptional compared to the wired system.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.

So, the BRP Sena only cost you the price of a new Spyder...

Let the man try his EdSets before trying to talk him into a costly upgrade that may not be needed.

daviszoo1
05-13-2015, 10:36 AM
Threewheels, could you explain what is involved with the BRP/Sena combination? we ride with different groups & The CB is the radio of most. thanks

Imnotlost
05-15-2015, 09:16 PM
LoL, I like that double your money back guarantee!
After some consideration and talking with Docriverside, I agree that going the Sena bluetooth route is actually going to be the most affordable way to go. I should be able to sell the Edsets and apply that toward the SMH-10's. One thing I will miss is having the ability to detach the boom mic (a very nice feature for when I'm riding solo). I will look like a gadget geek when riding solo with a mic hanging off my head.

jpbuch9309
05-16-2015, 05:10 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?80691-ATTN-All-Spyder-RT-owners

afrank4524
05-21-2015, 10:30 PM
Can anyone make CB radio sound com out from the speakers? I can only get sound from my headset in my helmet.

DonST
05-22-2015, 04:06 PM
Can anyone make CB radio sound com out from the speakers? I can only get sound from my headset in my helmet.

The factory CB is set up for headsets only.

What brand headset are you using? Do you ride with a passenger with their own headset? I ask because I have J&M headsets and get a squeal when transmitting if both headsets are connected. With just one headset connected , no squeal. The dealer added a ground wire to the CB mount today, and with BRP headsets, there was no squeal. Now I need to decide if I want to buy two more new headsets and another helmet ( I need the J&M headsets in my current helmet for my Gold Wing and handlebar mounted CB on my ST) or try some of the grounding suggestions on this forum.

edsetsdude
04-11-2016, 05:05 PM
Many Spyder riders, especially the 2014 models have a nasty feedback when using either a EdSets or a J&M, and I assume any other non-Spyder headset would also do the same.

Many of my customers have been working with me to find out what changed in the 2014 that causes the CB to feedback. Our headsets (EdSets Brand) worked fine on earlier Sypders.

In general, you tune your CB to a SWR lower than 1.5, and your antenna will push max power out the antenna, but in these bikes ('14) using non-Spyder headsets are in jeopardy because keying the CB with a SWR over 3 could cause damage to the CB unit because un-transmitted power from the CB WILL reflect back to the CB head unit where the damage could possibly cause problems. Most CB are well designed for reflected power, but I like to be on the safe side.

Now, to solve this problem, I have a few ideas that may be in play:

1. The Spyder before 2014 was good with most any headset you put it on. The current one squeals like a pig when you key it with anything EdSets, J&M, and other headsets. This tells me that something substantial has changed on the '14. Squealing means that the antenna is not tuned, and I understand that it is NOT tunable. Strike one!

2. Second, I designed a lower cable for the Spyder and we've used it for all our Spyder EdSets customers till the '14.

3. In all these bikes, there is a microphone pre-amplifier built into the headset, the bike, or the lower cable. This small preamp takes a roughly 0.005 Volt signal and brings it up to about line level, say 1 full Volt or so.

4. Because the CB squeals and can't be tuned, number one, you will NEVER get good performance, and if you do, it's fleeting at best. Doesn't matter who makes it. It needs to be tuned. Period.

5. My thinking is that the Spyder has a higher gain on the preamplifier than that is needed. I tested and perfected my "Power Cables" for bikes that needed a preamp, and I put the preamp right where you plug in your lower cable. These were and still are great cables, duarble, etc. The point, tho, is that I spent 2 years on that project before I went to production. I am not criticizing Spyder, but something has gone wrong with the CB.

6. If you give the preamp too much gain, it will cause any voice level line to howl, such as the CB, which (brobably) shares a line with the CB and Intercom.

7. I want to fix this problem if it's possible. I can make up the cables to test for high gain, low gain, but apparently you can't do anything with the stock antenna. One of my customers is looking into using an aftermarket antenna, I'll report on that when I hear from him.

8. If you're in Georgia, especially middle Ga, I'd like to find a rider with a 14 so we can see what's really going on. I'm not going to damage your bike, and I won't damage the electronics either. I know my stuff. Help me help you!

9. You can get my info at EdSets.com, and at ed@edsets.com.

Disclaimer: Most bike shops don't know about audio, Bluetooth, nor even CB tech! I talked to a tech at another headset company, and the main tech didn't know why you needed a preamp. CB can be like black magic at times, and even the best of us scratch our heads more than any other body part.

stillriding
04-11-2016, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=edsetsdude;1115261]Many Spyder riders, especially the 2014 models have a nasty feedback when using either a EdSets or a J&M, and I assume any other non-Spyder headset would also do the same.

Many of my customers have been working with me to find out what changed in the 2014 that causes the CB to feedback. Our headsets (EdSets Brand) worked fine on earlier Sypders.

Valuable info and thanks for providing it and for continuing your research. My situation, I guess, would be an exception. I have a '14 RTS with BRP's mediocre CB and I use a J&M headset w/lower cord and I've never had any feedback.

can-am sam
04-11-2016, 06:25 PM
I have a 14 RTL with BRP's CB and J&M headsets. Sometimes I get "static" that goes for a couple of minutes before it quits. I have tried keying the mike, but it does not stop the noise. Any suggestions?

edsetsdude
04-12-2016, 02:22 PM
[QUOTE=edsetsdude;1115261]Many Spyder riders, especially the 2014 models have a nasty feedback when using either a EdSets or a J&M, and I assume any other non-Spyder headset would also do the same.

Valuable info and thanks for providing it and for continuing your research. My situation, I guess, would be an exception. I have a '14 RTS with BRP's mediocre CB and I use a J&M headset w/lower cord and I've never had any feedback.

What I am hearing from riders is that the CB howls on any headset except a Spyder headset. Did you mod your antenna or anything like that?

edsetsdude
04-12-2016, 02:24 PM
I have a 14 RTL with BRP's CB and J&M headsets. Sometimes I get "static" that goes for a couple of minutes before it quits. I have tried keying the mike, but it does not stop the noise. Any suggestions?

Hard to guess on this, but the static could be caused by a bad ground, a poor SWR on the antenna, and many other things. If you can narrow it down, I might be able to come up with more info.

Ed

stillriding
04-12-2016, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=stillriding;1115293]

What I am hearing from riders is that the CB howls on any headset except a Spyder headset. Did you mod your antenna or anything like that?No modifications made. However, I'm thinking of buying a J&M antenna kit in hopes of improving my broadcast quality, reception and distance.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-13-2016, 02:14 AM
[QUOTE=edsetsdude;1115670]No modifications made. However, I'm thinking of buying a J&M antenna kit in hopes of improving my broadcast quality, reception and distance.
Don't bother with the J&M. It's just another ground plane antenna and the lack of ground plane is the real problem with the Spyder. Read this thread http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?92153-CB-problems-promising-development! to learn about what I just came up with. The NGP antenna and coax cost about $63 vs $99 for the J & M, and does a much better job of addressing the real problem.

stillriding
04-13-2016, 08:03 AM
[QUOTE=stillriding;1115703]
Don't bother with the J&M. It's just another ground plane antenna and the lack of ground plane is the real problem with the Spyder. Read this thread http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?92153-CB-problems-promising-development! to learn about what I just came up with. The NGP antenna and coax cost about $63 vs $99 for the J & M, and does a much better job of addressing the real problem.​Thanks.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-13-2016, 12:03 PM
​Thanks.

I should have said I wouldn't bother, not don't bother. It's not my place to say what another should or should not do in cases like this.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk