PDA

View Full Version : Heated seats....

reissooz
05-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Debating on whether the heated seat option is a good decision for someone on a somewhat limited budget. Do those of you that have them feel they are worth it or if you had the decision to make over again, you might have passed? My only experience with heated anything was heated grips for my v-rod and they barely lasted a year. Pretty expensive for a limited time of use. I would appreciate hearing from both sides of the aisle on this one! Thanks!

Chupaca
05-10-2015, 08:58 PM
while ryding in cold weather neither my butt nor my palms get cold. I find no use for heated seats or heated grips. Imho...I use heated gloves and a heated liner with chaps. Thighs knees get cold you know...:thumbup:

Highwayman2013
05-10-2015, 09:04 PM
I have ridden in below freezing without a heated seat and it was fine, but a heated jacket liner comes in very handy.http://www.warmnsafe.com/all-heated-jacket-liners/

DJFaninTN
05-10-2015, 09:24 PM
I'd go for a heated jacket liner (Warm & Safe) that you can control the temperature with its own thermostat and one of the best investments is some Baker Air Wings. They are great for cold weather and warm weather plus really work great if you happen to get caught in the rain.

ARtraveler
05-10-2015, 09:29 PM
I have only the heated grips that are on my RT. No heated seat or gear. I can be seen out any about until there is black ice on the roads.

Professor
05-10-2015, 10:29 PM
I had a heated seat on my BMW and used it occasionally. My Spyder RTL doesn't have the heated seat and I haven't missed it at all. I do like the heated grips, but I would not pay extra for a heated seat.

revjvegas
05-10-2015, 10:39 PM
On those occasions when its chilly/cold or I happen to get caught in the rain, like when I was on my way to Spyderfest, it sure increases the comfort level a lot.

I wish my BMW had heat too.

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-11-2015, 12:38 AM
The thing I've never quite understood about heated grips or seats is why they are considered worthwhile in the first place. After all, both systems are heating the side of the body NOT exposed to the cold air! :banghead: If you're going to do a lot of cold weather riding, which I don't, I would suggest you look at a snowmobile suit. They are made to keep one warm while riding in windy cold weather. That's what I would do if I decided to ride seriously in the cold.

Bob Denman
05-11-2015, 07:04 AM
Check with Motorcycledave: I think that he can install a heating element into your stock seat for you. :thumbup:

jwood4242
05-11-2015, 08:00 AM
Debating on whether the heated seat option is a good decision for someone on a somewhat limited budget. Do those of you that have them feel they are worth it or if you had the decision to make over again, you might have passed? My only experience with heated anything was heated grips for my v-rod and they barely lasted a year. Pretty expensive for a limited time of use. I would appreciate hearing from both sides of the aisle on this one! Thanks!

I like riding in cooler weather and have never wished for a heated seat, maybe heated grips a few times though.

cptjam
05-11-2015, 09:03 AM
A luxury item. Nice to have, but not worth it. Can be added afterward, much cheaper.

Firefly
05-11-2015, 09:46 AM
Heated grips are worth it.
Heated seat... nope. My RT has Corbin heated seat.. sure I use it sometimes... but it really doesn't do much. Save your $$$ and get some heated gear.

DrewNJ
05-11-2015, 10:31 AM
After having heated grips, I wouldn't do any cold weather riding without them.

jaherbst
05-11-2015, 11:00 AM
I have Heated Seat, Grips, and Heated Gloves plus Jacket. I love them all. Anything to make you more comfortable is worth spending your kids inheritance.

jack

Bob Denman
05-11-2015, 11:09 AM
While I've not yet felt the need for a heated seat; :agree:

bmccaffrey
05-11-2015, 06:58 PM
while ryding in cold weather neither my butt nor my palms get cold. I find no use for heated seats or heated grips. Imho...I use heated gloves and a heated liner with chaps. Thighs knees get cold you know...:thumbup:

You must getting old Gene heated anything in southern calif. :roflblack::roflblack:

Chupaca
05-11-2015, 07:14 PM
What can I say...snow, hail, rain in the mountains still cold...even here. But I do feel the cold more helps for cast the weather...

bmccaffrey
05-11-2015, 07:21 PM
What can I say...snow, hail, rain in the mountains still cold...even here. But I do feel the cold more helps for cast the weather...

Just joking.
Need to do a trip there. Haven't been there since '75' HOLY how time flys

Chupaca
05-11-2015, 07:50 PM
Anytime...you have a place to stay and no end of roads to ryde. ...

samewok
05-11-2015, 08:10 PM
I had the heated Corbin seat. I did not use it enough so I got an ultima seat.

Saluda
05-11-2015, 08:12 PM
After having heated grips, I wouldn't do any cold weather riding without them.

Motorcycledave
05-11-2015, 10:20 PM
It's almost summer time in most of the country now, so heated seats are not a
pardon the pun, a hot item.... however this is a mod anyone can do right at home
I have the seat heaters and the switches for them 3 different types... you can see them
on my website I sell them for $74.95 it is an easy do it yourself project.. ask the folks here
that have done it, or check the Goldwing forums and the ST owners club forums they love them
because they don't cost an arm and a leg.
Ride Safe
Dave