PDA

View Full Version : it's just one of them days where nothing goes right

cuznjohn
05-10-2015, 04:54 PM
ever had one of them days, i have been working on the bike installing some strobe lights and i used a switch and a relay to operate them. so i have been working on this for two weeks now to get all the parts.

well i take the bike apart and put it back together couple of times, drill holes where there should not be holes, run wires and wrap everything to make it look nice, than yesterday test everything except the the lights i put on the mirror housings because the mirrors have to be off the bike to do the work, after all the lights are brand new so why check them, right.

well it turns out yesterday the relay was not working, no big deal it was a wiring mix up. than when i try to test again the switch goes bad on me. so i had to order a new switch. i had it sent Sunday delivery and it showed up today. i installed the new switch and the rear lights worked and so did the relay so job done.i now put the whole bike back together and go to install the mirrors and guess what, the lights on the mirrors flash and go out. just to explain these are emergency strobe lights and will only be used if i or a friend get stuck on the road. so now i am totally sweating and just ordered two new strobes for the mirrors and i will change them when they get delivered. oh well i hope everyone else is having a better day than i am so far.

— https://fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net/rsrc.php/v2/y0/r/wQg06LtE9ig.pngfeeling pissed off.

Bob Denman
05-10-2015, 05:10 PM
:shocked: Take a deep breath... :shocked:

I've had MANY projects get to this point.
You need to walk away, and clear your mind for a little while...
Then; If you think about what you might need to do different; options will appear for you! :thumbup:
When I was most recently adding the rear marker lights to my bike, I got all sorts of tangled up in the wiring, and nothing was working. :banghead:
I went inside, took a shower, and put on the TV...
...In a little while; I started seeing where mistakes in the wiring could have happened.
I actually scribbled down some thoughts, and the next morning; I had rear marker lights working in not time!

Chupaca
05-10-2015, 08:47 PM
have learned on days like that...drop it all walk away and do something else...they should have a guardian bell for such days...:roflblack::roflblack:

kngfsh27
05-10-2015, 09:29 PM
Have a beer and cigar. Sit down and watch some tv. You will know what went wrong by morning. You will have it fixed in 30 minutes. I have a white board that really helps.

Bob Denman
05-11-2015, 06:51 AM
Have a beer and cigar. Sit down and watch some tv. You will know what went wrong by morning. You will have it fixed in 30 minutes. I have a white board that really helps.

Is that kind of like staring into an empty pizza box? :D

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
05-11-2015, 07:28 AM
I'm doing my light installs this week and my hitch came in

spydaman60
05-11-2015, 07:36 AM
just keep smiling my friend!!! :thumbup:

jwood4242
05-11-2015, 07:48 AM
Hope it all turns out like you want when it's done. I would like to see a picture or video when it is complete?

Good luck!

Cavman
05-11-2015, 08:19 AM
I finally installed a new trailer harness module after the dealer in Kennasaw fried mine a year and a half ago. (Can't prove it) (they also fried two alarm systems which I can't prove.)

I installed red LED strips on the tail lights and yellow LED strips on the sides of the trailer. I connected these to a sealed alarm battery on the trailer so there would be "lights" while towing the trailer. No brake lights nor turn signals.....just lights, so it could be seen.
So, I know some of the frustrations of wiring or lack there of.

PrairieSpyder
05-11-2015, 08:33 AM
I hate it when things like that happen. I have not patience for when things don't work like they are supposed to. That task isn't something I'd even begin to know how to do. Another reason to get someone else to do it for me.

cuznjohn
05-11-2015, 12:55 PM
being a retired electrician i can do almost anything with electrical. but when part's fail there is nothing a person can do but order more parts. he is a small sample of some of the wiring i did for the strobe lights. don't get nervous, the strip is double sided taped to the air box, and all connections have quick disconnects on them in case body panels and the mirrors need to be removed for any type of service. once the parts i ordered come in i will finish the job and do a video of the flashing lights

https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/22288_10206357005581323_8412873691731119207_n.jpg? oh=c917463ebef02841f563306c349a9607&oe=55D6A7A5

Bob Denman
05-11-2015, 01:06 PM
I can't wait to see the glorious results!! :2thumbs:

cuznjohn
05-11-2015, 01:15 PM
it's only two strobes on the back and a set on the mirrors, one on each.

ARtraveler
05-11-2015, 07:54 PM
Hang in there. :yes: