PDA

View Full Version : Kumho tires

doug1950
05-10-2015, 09:50 AM
What air pressure is every one using for front and back with the Kumho tires ????????????????:bowdown:

Bob Denman
05-10-2015, 10:52 AM
I've got the rear set at 26.5 psi. :thumbup:
(I was aiming for 26, but that's where it landed...)

Pennyrick
05-10-2015, 10:54 AM
What air pressure is every one using for front and back with the Kumho tires ????????????????:bowdown:

Run the rear Kumho at 27 psi.

Run the fronts (Bridgestones) at 17 psi.

BikerDoc
05-10-2015, 11:18 AM
Run back Kumho at 28psi run front Federal Evos at 22psi ( I corner hard)

STELLING MAN
05-10-2015, 11:55 AM
I run the fronts at 20# and the rear at 30# works great for me..

wiredgeorge
05-10-2015, 01:58 PM
I was going to ask about tires...on most sites where there are heavy cruisers or touring bikes and the rear tires cost $300 and last 3K miles, a "darkside" group exists where they use car tires. Tire experts always claim a gruesome and immediate death will occur if you do this but folks seem to live anyway....

The Can-Am Spyder RT owners manual lists sizes for the tires but no brand and says to buy them at a Can-Am dealer and to be honest I don't recall what brand they are. The manual charaterizes them as motorcycle tires. I have never seen motorcycle tires with car tire profiles! Now I see folks are running what must be car tires from various manufacturers. Is there a list of the correct size tires someplace? Does a Can-Am dealer install? If not, where do most folks have their tires changed? Are the Can-Am wheels OK on a commercial car tire machine; ae a Coats or similar? Is there someplace on the site where tech stuff like this is already stored?

Ex-Rocket
05-10-2015, 03:26 PM
I was going to ask about tires...on most sites where there are heavy cruisers or touring bikes and the rear tires cost $300 and last 3K miles, a "darkside" group exists where they use car tires. Tire experts always claim a gruesome and immediate death will occur if you do this but folks seem to live anyway....

The Can-Am Spyder RT owners manual lists sizes for the tires but no brand and says to buy them at a Can-Am dealer and to be honest I don't recall what brand they are. The manual charaterizes them as motorcycle tires. I have never seen motorcycle tires with car tire profiles! Now I see folks are running what must be car tires from various manufacturers. Is there a list of the correct size tires someplace? Does a Can-Am dealer install? If not, where do most folks have their tires changed? Are the Can-Am wheels OK on a commercial car tire machine; ae a Coats or similar? Is there someplace on the site where tech stuff like this is already stored?

I had a Triumph Rocket and rode over 25,000 Darkside and I'm still alive.

PaladinLV
05-10-2015, 03:35 PM
The Can-Am dealers locally have no problem with installing a non-BRP tire.
Don't understand why this would not be across the board.
You don't need a "list" as their are several "car" tire manufacturers that provide the same size that comes with the Spyder.
But like many people I went with the Kumho ASTs

AJ

coz
05-10-2015, 04:40 PM
I had a Kuhmo ecsta ast installed yesterday. The tire is way better, and half the price of the kenda. I went to a local Indy bike shop for the install for half price of a dealer. While I waited.
The Kuhmo seems to be the best bang for the buck. I got mine from discount tire direct for 88 bucks shipped.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-10-2015, 07:19 PM

#1....The owner's manual says this because ONLY Dealers can sell KENDA tires......#2......KENDA's are one one of two brands of MTC.tires that will fit the Spyder .........#3.......Technically and Legally Spyders are Motorcycles , operationally drive it like a CAR or you will crash very fast.........#4....I think most Spyder owners have now figured out that car tires work far better on Spyders than KENDA's do........#5......Yes there are many,many lists of the sizes that will work for front and rear 14 and 15 inch Rims do a SEARCH............#6 Some but no all Can Am dealers will install Car tires.............#7.........Both the front and rear rim ( you must take off HUB & SPROKET from rear ) can have a tire mounted by an ordinary HYD tire machine at any auto tire shop., The fronts can also be SPUN balanced by machine ....the rear cannot ( I don't bother with the rear and have had no problems )..........#8 all tech stuff can be in the " ADVANCED SEARCH " function upper right white box./..........However it can be frustrating to locate something sometimes ........Hope this was Helpful.........Mike :thumbup:..................APPARANTLY IT WASN'T HELPFUL ....SO I APOLOGIZE FOR POSTING IT ....................IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BikerDoc
05-10-2015, 08:10 PM
I have just under 90000 miles on 3 Kumho Ecsta AST s and I am still very much alive

Chupaca
05-10-2015, 08:19 PM
whatever tire you use run it at the vehicle specs to start off. Everyone may have found their sweet spot if you haven't you should. Don't want you coming back and saying " I told you, I said":roflblack::roflblack: besides I ryde on Kendas great tire...for me..:thumbup:

wiredgeorge
05-10-2015, 08:45 PM
whatever tire you use run it at the vehicle specs to start off. Everyone may have found their sweet spot if you haven't you should. Don't want you coming back and saying " I told you, I said":roflblack::roflblack: besides I ryde on Kendas great tire...for me..:thumbup:

Funny thing about tires and air pressure. On most motorcycle tires, max load rating (vintage and tubed) is about 38 PSI. With a Metzler 880, they have max load rating at about 45 PSI. Whatcha gonna do? Adhere to tire manufacturer's max load rating and back down a tad or go by the operators manual where they were using tires that are no longer in existence?

On a Goldwing trike, back tires are car tires and generally a bit taller than a Spyder but run at about 20 PSI and the front tire is the rear tire from a motorcycle mounted backwards and run at about 45 PSI for best mileage, comfort and handling.

In the motorcycling world, Kenda is considered sort of a bargain basement Korean tire most serious riders would not use.

Chupaca
05-10-2015, 09:16 PM
Your right on many counts but tire manufacturer's do not know what your putting their tires on so give you max. And agreed here and elsewhere kenda may be garbage but I get 22,000 on rear and still going on fronts at 27,000. Stick good flex nice and ryde well. May be my set up and where I ryde..

Highwayman2013
05-10-2015, 09:23 PM
For the rear I use a 215/60/15 car tire and there are many options in this size. I have it on for 11,000+ miles and have had no problems running 28 psi. The fronts are 185/65/14 car tires on there for 4,000+ miles at 20 psi with no problems.

Purple Guy
05-11-2015, 09:32 AM
20 lbs in the front & 28 lbs in the rear

Firefly
05-11-2015, 09:50 AM
After many years of riding with OEM Kenda's.. I switched to Bridgestone Potenza's for the fronts and Kumho for the rear.

FAR better tires, cheaper.. and last longer.

Had many issues with front wobble with OEM tires.

Bob Denman
05-11-2015, 10:02 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107313&stc=1

chris0749
09-21-2015, 02:44 PM
I ordered a Kumho for the rear tire of my 2014 RT LTD (worn out after 7500 miles) from discounttiredirect.com
They called and said Can-Am "wouldn't allow" them to sell it to me.
I re-ordered saying it was for a 2005 Chevy Cobalt.
So far, they haven't rejected the order.

The Can-Am dealers locally have no problem with installing a non-BRP tire.
Don't understand why this would not be across the board.
You don't need a "list" as their are several "car" tire manufacturers that provide the same size that comes with the Spyder.
But like many people I went with the Kumho ASTs

AJ

Bob Denman
09-21-2015, 02:47 PM
:welcome: We'll keep our fingers crossed for you! :thumbup: :D

GeorgiaBill
09-22-2015, 06:49 AM
I ordered a Kumho for the rear tire of my 2014 RT LTD (worn out after 7500 miles) from discounttiredirect.com

Chris, have you found an installer around Atlanta. My rear tire is about used up in 5100 miles. I'll call the local Can-Am guys today and see what they have to say. I easily removed the rear wheel on my GL1800 (sold in 2010) and had Kumhos installed, but the Spyder looks a little too much for me.

I stopped at Kens Motorcycle Tires Saturday, but he has always been a little emotional regarding car tires on motorcycles - it's the beads, donchaknow.

Anyone know an installer in Atlanta?

-Bill

900Dave
09-22-2015, 08:04 PM
Fronts, Federal EVO's 22psi, Rear, Kumho was 26psi but noticed it was wearing more in the center so a couple thousand mile ago lowered to 22psi in the rear also. Nearing the end of it lifespan, I should get the rest of the riding season out of the Kumho and will decide what to go with after that.

SpyderAnn01
09-22-2015, 08:12 PM

Chris, I had ordered several Kumho's over the years from them and I always ordered by size and was not asked what vehicle it was for. Yesterday I placed an order for 2 of them and darn if the last page of the order didn't make me enter vehicle info. I entered the Chevy Cobalt and got a warning about needing to install the tires on the rear only since I had not ordered 4. This morning I had a text saying that my order couldn't be processed until I spoke to them. I called and they asked what vehicle it was for and I said the Cobalt, the guy noted that I had ordered the Kumho previously and he placed the order. I got my shipping notification later today.

hecoon
09-22-2015, 09:55 PM
2009 gs bridgestones on the front 15 psi 45k and still lots of tread left

kuhmo on the rear 25 psi got 37k before I replaced it.

my tire guage was reading very low and was causing the rearend to vibrate enough to break the rear fender supports. it was rea
ding 6 psi and so I actually had 31 psi in the rear. threw away the tire gage

Don in E Texas
09-23-2015, 07:32 AM
I run the fronts at 20# and the rear at 30# works great for me..

...same here.

Freddy
09-23-2015, 07:43 AM
I have a Kumho 205/55/15 on the rear and run 18psi. It's the second 205 I had as it allows a little more clearance for the lower belt guard.

robmorg
09-23-2015, 08:10 AM
Chris, I had ordered several Kumho's over the years from them and I always ordered by size and was not asked what vehicle it was for. Yesterday I placed an order for 2 of them and darn if the last page of the order didn't make me enter vehicle info. I entered the Chevy Cobalt and got a warning about needing to install the tires on the rear only since I had not ordered 4. This morning I had a text saying that my order couldn't be processed until I spoke to them. I called and they asked what vehicle it was for and I said the Cobalt, the guy noted that I had ordered the Kumho previously and he placed the order. I got my shipping notification later today.Hi Ann,

I see you are going back to Kumho's. I may do the same if my Yoko s-Drive does not wear well. I'm curious to know... How many miles did you finally get out of your s-Drive, and what did you think of the s-Drive performance? So far I've only got a tad under 3000 on mine, but I'm lovin' it. Still looks brand new, and when I rode home from Spyderquest in the rain earlier this month, it held the road really well - even on the highway when the rain got a bit heavy.

robmorg
09-23-2015, 08:38 AM
Chris, have you found an installer around Atlanta. My rear tire is about used up in 5100 miles. I'll call the local Can-Am guys today and see what they have to say. I easily removed the rear wheel on my GL1800 (sold in 2010) and had Kumhos installed, but the Spyder looks a little too much for me.

I stopped at Kens Motorcycle Tires Saturday, but he has always been a little emotional regarding car tires on motorcycles - it's the beads, donchaknow.

Anyone know an installer in Atlanta?

-Bill

Hi Bill,

:welcome: to both you and Chris.

The beads on the Spyder rims have been the subject of some discussion here in the recent past. When I got my Yokohama tire installed a few months ago, my tire dealer and I compared the beads on my Spyder to other rims he had in the shop. We definitely have automotive style beads on the Spyder - which makes sense, since the Spyder doesn't lean like a conventional motorcycle.