PDA

View Full Version : I never had so much alphabet soup....

wyliec
05-09-2015, 07:11 PM
scroll across my 2008GS SM5 screen as today. I believe I saw DPS, VSS, DESS along with some other warnings. Of course, the last thing to scroll across I remember: LIMP HOME MODE; then, the speed dropped right off. For about a split second I thought what others have said before, biting their finger nails, is it safe to drive or should it be towed; that was just a split second thought. I pulled the key; but, didn't walk away like others, and 2 minutes later I got tired of all the traffic zipping by me on the NYS Thruway, and started it up. I thought should I go back home, only 10 miles away, or continue my estimated 160 mile trip. I continued on my trip with no further problem.

In my opinion, there was no loose connections, and the battery is fine. Under normal driving (what's normal), the volt meter typically reads 14.17 volts; sometimes a little higher. The only thing I did differently today was, not to shift into 5th. I was running about 72MPH. After that little hiccup, I used 5th. I also thought was it possible I had been touching the brake. I meant to place my foot where I normally feel the ball of my foot on the stock peg, and look and see if it was possible that I had been touching the brake. I forgot to do that; we (my gf, and Yorkie) were having fun (I think they were), and it slipped my mine.

I didn't check for codes because I had no instructions with me. I think I remember reading, if they are not active codes, they will not pull up. Since nothing flashed across the screen after I took off, I felt there must not be any active codes.

SpyderAnn01
05-09-2015, 07:33 PM
Have you ever had the BUDS updated? In 2013, I think it was, BRP changed the way Limp Mode works and instead of immediately dropping your speed it now limits your RPM. If you haven't had your computer updated you should think about doing it. With the new Limp Mode you can maintain highway speed as long as you keep your RPMs down.

You can also turn your key on and off while riding and it will clear Limp Mode if it is an occurred fault as opposed to an active one. You have to use the key not the Emergency Cut Off Switch. You should check to see if any codes come up, sorry I don't know how to check on the RS, if you have a blank screen you are good to go.