PDA

View Full Version : best cooling vest

doug1950
05-08-2015, 09:37 AM
What is the best vest to get ,for riding in the heat ???????????????????????????????:banghead:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
05-08-2015, 09:40 AM
the one lady godiva wore

asp125
05-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Evaporation vests work well in dry climates, not so well in Alabama gridlock in August. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

SpyderAnn01
05-08-2015, 11:17 AM
asp is right, they work great here in the desert, I wear mine under my BRP Cavalier jacket with the vents open, but once you hit the humid states it doesn't do any good.

Orange Spyder Man
05-08-2015, 11:17 AM
cooling vests are worthless in Louisiana... they just make you sweat more... after a couple days... green stuff starts growing on the vest... :yikes:

osm

cuznjohn
05-08-2015, 12:45 PM
my remedy is to turn around and head home to the AC

easysuper
05-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Move to Oregon , actually we do like the ones we got at cycle gear and just soak them in water, their pretty good for abot 1 1/2 - 2 hrs and its time to stop anyway , we have used them in the high 90s in the desert with great sucess.

Yazz
05-08-2015, 06:55 PM
Met a guy in Louisiana, middle of July, bundled up with a puffy vest and leather jacket over top. Got to talking with him...

Turns out he is very heat sensitive and wears a cooling vest. His vest has water chambers running through it, hooked by a tube to a small cooler full of ice water he had in a bag on his passenger pad. Every stop he lifts the cooler lower than the vest to let the warm water out, sloshes the cooler water around, then lifts the cooler higher than the vest so fresh ice water runs into the vest.

Kinda like if you've had a surgery and they have those joint wraps hooked up to an ice cooler.

He was all bundled up to keep the cold in. Says one cooler full of ice water lasts him all day.

For the life of me, neither of us can remember what brand he said it was.

Hope this points you in a new direction to look...

bmwlarry
05-08-2015, 07:00 PM
I use Silver Eagle and like it

SpyderAnn01
05-08-2015, 07:23 PM
Met a guy in Louisiana, middle of July, bundled up with a puffy vest and leather jacket over top. Got to talking with him...

Turns out he is very heat sensitive and wears a cooling vest. His vest has water chambers running through it, hooked by a tube to a small cooler full of ice water he had in a bag on his passenger pad. Every stop he lifts the cooler lower than the vest to let the warm water out, sloshes the cooler water around, then lifts the cooler higher than the vest so fresh ice water runs into the vest.

Kinda like if you've had a surgery and they have those joint wraps hooked up to an ice cooler.

He was all bundled up to keep the cold in. Says one cooler full of ice water lasts him all day.

For the life of me, neither of us can remember what brand he said it was.

Hope this points you in a new direction to look...

Terri Clark, Spyderpops wife, has one similar to this. She used it on their ride to Durango from Arkansas last year and she actually got so cold that she had to turn it off. These are very pricey though - especially compared to the $35 +/- for a cool vest at Cycle Gear.

SPYD3R
05-08-2015, 07:32 PM
BEST is strickly an opinion... and we all know about those....

i'm NOT here to tell you which is best... but i am here to tell you what works wonders for me... and it's the CYCLE GEAR vest...
look here: http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Cooling-Vest
i've ridden with this in 100 degree weather, and as long as you keep it wet, it will keep you cool... last about 4 hrs. in 90+ degree temps... and for the price, YOU JUST CAN'T BEAT IT......
http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/image/CycleGear/web1001053~60744?$QV$
JMHO
DAN P
EASLEY, SC
SPYD3R F3-S

Yazz
05-08-2015, 08:04 PM
Terri Clark, Spyderpops wife, has one similar to this. She used it on their ride to Durango from Arkansas last year and she actually got so cold that she had to turn it off. These are very pricey though - especially compared to the $35 +/- for a cool vest at Cycle Gear.

Would have loved one the time I went to Durango. (Time before last.) Something about buying two bottles of water. One to douse me and one with sea salt in the water to drink. Not a pleasant ride...

The guy we met was in Scott, Louisiana, a humid region. Swamp coolers don't work down there...

Bswank
05-08-2015, 08:24 PM
What is the best vest to get ,for riding in the heat ???????????????????????????????:banghead:

try this it was posted awhile back

http://www.veskimo.com/cooling-vest-motorcycle-racing.php

Chupaca
05-08-2015, 08:40 PM
We use the heat away under garments and a soaking collar. Never had much problem with the heat the cold is a different story...heat away we use the "T" long shorts and beany keeps us cool....:thumbup:

CanAmChris
05-08-2015, 08:40 PM
Cyclegear is great. I don't use that cooling vest but I always wear the Heat Off under layer and a Bilt mesh riding jacket that has CE armor.

Spyder 42
05-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Bought two Silver Eagle cooling vests for us many moons ago. Never used them. The ATL is just too darn humid to make a difference.

The Silver Eagle head silks are another matter. They are fine weave, wicking poly and do wonders at keeping my head cool. The beanie pulls sweat from my hair and puts it up where the helmet flows air (Arai Profile). ride all day? Wash out at night, use again the next day.