PDA

View Full Version : So BMWLarry how did the install go?

SpyderAnn01
05-07-2015, 09:11 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107066&stc=1

:popcorn::popcorn:

Lew L
05-07-2015, 11:20 PM
That dangerous and hokey setup looked like mine when I raised my :spyder2: to put on the anti-sway bar.
BUT ----- I didn't use any Duct Tape.

Duct tape can cause-----

Kaos

Chupaca
05-08-2015, 12:09 AM
it does the job. Duck tape, doubleback ramps, "A" stands, shelving, sissor jack and scrap wood. But what are you going to do..?? :dontknow:

Bob Denman
05-08-2015, 07:41 AM
:shocked: Has anybody checked the Emergency Rooms yet?
Larry, Pu-LEEZE let us know that all went well... nojoke

(The insurance guy in me; just about swallowed his tongue...:yikes:)

Deer Slayer
05-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Rube Goldburg would be proud.:yikes: OSHA not so much.:cheers:

bruiser
05-08-2015, 08:40 AM
Holy Crap!!! :yikes:

When I was installing the bar on the wife's 2014 RTS I ended up going to Sears and purchasing a jack with jack stands and creeper included. When Ron says you need at least 22" of clearance, that's exactly what he means.

I have to ask... Is that a lift that the scissor jack is sitting on?

bmwlarry
05-08-2015, 09:52 AM
Well - I lived thru it! It was a whole lot harder job than the 2011 bar I installed! The work setup looked scary but believe me it was sturdy and secure! 24" is a lot of clearance to come up with. I wish I had tried removing the frunk! It couldn't have been any harder. The very hardest part was getting the bushing holes to line up so I could get the bolts thru!! I had to use C-clamps to get it close and then used the wrench to screw in the bolts!! I only took a short ride but it seems better. Could be in my head though! It doesny make as dramatic difference that it did on my 2011. BRP must be getting better!
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107129&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107130&stc=1

Bob Denman
05-08-2015, 09:55 AM
:clap: So glad to hear that you have, "Lived to fight another day!" :thumbup: :congrats:

bmwlarry
05-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Yes, it is a Handy lift I had from my BMW days. I added longer poles to spread the side extensions and built wooded ramps for the front tires (shown inserted under the front tires in the pic). I backed the spyder onto it to get everything about 8' off the ground to start, used the Rhino Ramps backwards in front and rode the spyder onto those to get the front end out away from the lift. I used a floor jack to slowly jack up the spyder and slowly extend the jack stands. Finally I used the service scissor jack for added security. I do wish the bike was balanced lt/rt so it wouldn't lean when you raise it with a jack from under neath!

Holy Crap!!! :yikes:

When I was installing the bar on the wife's 2014 RTS I ended up going to Sears and purchasing a jack with jack stands and creeper included. When Ron says you need at least 22" of clearance, that's exactly what he means.

I have to ask... Is that a lift that the scissor jack is sitting on?

Craniac
05-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Only need to get one side of the Spyder up 22". And only for a couple minutes.

I raised the front of the bike about a foot. Used two tire/rim combos under the front wheels. I removed all the hardware, then raised one side higher with a floor jack. This put a side load on the tire/rim under the right tire. But it didn't budge at all. Removed the old bar, slipped the new one in. Then I lowered the bike back onto the tires to hook up the new hardware.