PDA

View Full Version : Trailer hitch wiring harness

d-spyder
05-07-2015, 12:34 PM
After connecting the plug and play trailer hitch wiring harness; riders behind me said when I turned on my Left or Right turn signal my brake lights flash continuously. Is this normal? I checked the connections and there are no other ways to connect them. I'm thinking this may be a nice warning to drivers of my turn signal in use. But others think the wiring is wrong. Any one else have this issue? 2014 RT

Marker
05-07-2015, 12:37 PM
wiring is definitely wrong. Not sure if you have a BRP wiring harness or some other brand. I have a BRP wiring harness and my trailer lights don't flash when turn on turn signals

Welcome to spyderlovers this is a great site for all things spyder.

OverHillAndDale
05-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Need details -- BRP harness? BRP trailer? If not, is your trailer a 4 or 5 pin. If 5 pin how is 4 to 5 pin managed?

d-spyder
05-07-2015, 04:35 PM
It is not the trailer. It is the spyder tail lights that flash. The plug and play harness is from bike bike parts, showchrome, PN# 41-162 for spyder RT 2010-2014. The harness is not plugged into a trailer.

pilotdrl
01-04-2016, 05:41 PM
After connecting the plug and play trailer hitch wiring harness; riders behind me said when I turned on my Left or Right turn signal my brake lights flash continuously. Is this normal? I checked the connections and there are no other ways to connect them. I'm thinking this may be a nice warning to drivers of my turn signal in use. But others think the wiring is wrong. Any one else have this issue? 2014 RT

I brought the the same Harness , which is a 5 wire to trailer, I also brought a 5 wire to 4 wire converter, and everything worked fine with trailer connected, Take trailer off and as soon as I applied brake, I would blow the 10am red brake fuse, causing bike to go into Limp mode.

Took it into Spyder shop, cuz I was so fraustated with it..... Service person said that by adding, the wiring harness, and converter it is drawing more than 10amps, replaced 10amp fuse with 15amp and he's says it works great now and tested it( Time will tell)..... ???? Hope that helps....

billybovine
01-04-2016, 05:47 PM
Contact the vendor and exchange the harness for a good one.

pilotdrl
01-09-2016, 06:44 PM
Thanks for all your replys...

I received My Spyder back from the Service center and they cured the problem by replacing the 10amp brake fuse, with a 15amp fuse.... Works great now and no problems with trailer off or on......FYI

Thanks again

Bfromla
01-09-2016, 08:02 PM
Thanks for all your replys...

I received My Spyder back from the Service center and they cured the problem by replacing the 10amp brake fuse, with a 15amp fuse.... Works great now and no problems with trailer off or on......FYI

Thanks again
Umm :gaah: Not the way to fix. Yes it may not blow the 15A fuse , but was set to safety limit at 10A for a reason. Wire size and other things important is why you dont just change to larger fuses if it blows you keep the same size & FIND THE PROBLEM:banghead: Fact a service tech told you was fix is scary service practice:lecturef_smilie:

pegasus1300
01-19-2016, 07:46 PM
Has anyone had any more experience with the Big Bike Parts/Show Chrome/ Value accessories wiring harness? I just bought a Hannigan Europa trailer with a 5 pin plug and am now looking at buying a hitch and wiring harness from Value. It says plug and play.

jaherbst
01-20-2016, 12:27 AM
Another reason to buy OEM Hitch and wiring harness/modules (comes with the hitch) from BRP. You will be money ahead and not have all the headaches. How many times have we heard about these problems from folks using non OEM parts? Seems we are not learning from others mistakes here.

Jack

OverHillAndDale
01-20-2016, 09:41 AM
Has anyone had any more experience with the Big Bike Parts/Show Chrome/ Value accessories wiring harness? I just bought a Hannigan Europa trailer with a 5 pin plug and am now looking at buying a hitch and wiring harness from Value. It says plug and play.

Yes, I used this harness for 2 reasons. First, my trailer came with a 5-wire hitch. Next, I had installed the Can-Am harness and it didn't work. I found multiple references on this site where people had issues with the BRP harness, particularly with non-BRP trailers.

I've had no issues with the Big Bike Parts harness. Installation was easy, it is electrically isolated from the Spyder's electronics, and it works flawlessly with my 5-pin trailer. I bought an adapter from www.etrailer.com to allow me to hook up a 4-pin trailer.

pegasus1300
01-20-2016, 10:00 AM
Yes, I used this harness for 2 reasons. First, my trailer came with a 5-wire hitch. Next, I had installed the Can-Am harness and it didn't work. I found multiple references on this site where people had issues with the BRP harness, particularly with non-BRP trailers.

I've had no issues with the Big Bike Parts harness. Installation was easy, it is electrically isolated from the Spyder's electronics, and it works flawlessly with my 5-pin trailer. I bought an adapter from www.etrailer.com (http://www.etrailer.com) to allow me to hook up a 4-pin trailer.

Thank you OverHillAndDale that is the information that I was looking for,since I am not using a BRP trailer or wiring.

OverHillAndDale
01-20-2016, 10:02 AM
One note - it comes without a connector. You can buy a flat or round 5-pin connector at most auto stores or www.etrailer.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk