PDA

View Full Version : Any fun ideas for back roads traveling?

markyodo
05-07-2015, 09:00 AM
When we are traveling the back roads we always run into small and interesting towns and we like to site see.
My wife started this new thing, when ever we see an old Court House we stop and she takes a photo of it. When we get home she looks them up on Wikipedia and prints her photos and some history about the courthouse and adds them to a scrap book.

I was just wondering if there were any other interesting ideas for back roads traveling?
Thanks.

Chupaca
05-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Must be a great scrap book. Once heard that all you need to be a town is a general store and a post office. We run across many of those here in southern california. When I rode the back roads of texas and florida there were many as well. Wish I had taken pictures as you have but back then taking a picture was a production. Now I have no one who cares so we just marvel at them and ryde on...state capitals are great, most are quaint small cities nothing like the big cities states are known for....state government hideouts...:roflblack:

grumpybob
05-07-2015, 10:33 AM
Not quite back roads but we like lighthouses. Go & tour them when we go someplace new, mostly on the coast, although some on the Great lakes.

Lin
05-07-2015, 10:38 AM
My wife and I frequently notice private and small cemeteries along the back roads we travel. On a happier note, we also notice the local ice cream stands that seem to be everywhere.

SpyderAnn01
05-07-2015, 10:40 AM
Wow, your wife is organized. There is something called the ABCs of Touring that HOG groups did. You would take your picture with your motorcycle at a sign for a town, for instance Amarillo for your A, Big Rapids for your B and see how many letters of the alphabet you could get in a season. They had you include your HOG membership card or something to show that the picture was current.

markyodo
05-07-2015, 12:00 PM
Wow, your wife is organized. There is something called the ABCs of Touring that HOG groups did. You would take your picture with your motorcycle at a sign for a town, for instance Amarillo for your A, Big Rapids for your B and see how many letters of the alphabet you could get in a season. They had you include your HOG membership card or something to show that the picture was current.

That's a fun idea, I will see if we can add it to our travels.

Yazz
05-07-2015, 12:09 PM
I like going to places that, to me, have interesting names...

Stayed nights in Paris, Texas and Arkadelphia, Arkansas, one night in Wickiup, Arizona. You can buy ethanol free gas in the city of Houston, county is Texas, Missouri. Road down Hwy 666 below Four Corners.

There are other places I've been but the above are my favorites. Nice hotels, friendly people, or just had to go down that road.

Yazz
05-07-2015, 12:20 PM
Here's something fun we did way back when...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?24405-Scavenger-Hunt-2011

vided
05-07-2015, 01:02 PM

I did that iin the late 80's. :thumbup::thumbup:

ARtraveler
05-07-2015, 01:07 PM
All good ideas above.

Back in the 70's or so, there was a photographer that hauled around a big red sofa. The sofa was placed at interesting places to document where it had been. It ended up on the top of mountains, in various towns, at lakes, etc., etc. He published a book with all the photos. I believe the book was called "The Big Red Sofa."

mxz600
05-07-2015, 03:53 PM
I like going to places that, to me, have interesting names...

Stayed nights in Paris, Texas and Arkadelphia, Arkansas, one night in Wickiup, Arizona. You can buy ethanol free gas in the city of Houston, county is Texas, Missouri. Road down Hwy 666 below Four Corners.

There are other places I've been but the above are my favorites. Nice hotels, friendly people, or just had to go down that road.

Have you ever been to Kalamazoo, MI. If not come on up and we'll ride the wine country.

mxz600
05-07-2015, 03:59 PM
The back roads in Michigan and the word fun don't really go together. But if you want a good workout then come to MI. You will wear yourself out dodging potholes.

retread
05-07-2015, 04:23 PM
If you get a chance, head to Corydon, IN, the original Indiana capital, the building is still there, and as a bonus, one of the best ice cream parlors I've found is just a few blocks away.

john

PrairieSpyder
05-07-2015, 05:27 PM
I like architectural images, too. But I seem to notice barns I see along the way.

The idea of running the alphabet in a season is good. At Spyderfest a couple years ago I met a couple who rode to fire stations, trying to get all the letters. But they trailered their Spyder. I asked if they parked the trailer, rode around the block and then took a pic. They said no, but they would stop about 10 miles away and ride to it!

Yazz
05-07-2015, 06:13 PM
Have you ever been to Kalamazoo, MI. If not come on up and we'll ride the wine country.

Never been to the Great Northeast. Going to take you up on the offer either this year or next. Thank you for the generous offer!

I have Kalamazoo, MI on my list along with Woodstock, NY. Looking forward to the adventure...