PDA

View Full Version : Non- BRP trailer woes

gpops
05-06-2015, 09:19 PM
Well, I've rewired my trailer and I installed a BIG BIKE trailer harness on the 2015 RT Ltd, and I am ready to attach the trailer plug to the end of the new harness, How do I go from the 5 wires on the harness to the 4 wires on the trailer? The 5th wire is the brake light; can I combine that with the tail light wire (brown)?

OverHillAndDale
05-07-2015, 07:33 AM
This will get you close. You'll need to build an adapter cable.

You'll need a square 4-pin adapter on the trailer side, Hopkins 11147975 4 Pole Square Set.
You'll need a flat or round 5 pin on the trailer side. You can find round ones at etrailer.com or flat 5-pin at most auto-parts stores or even Wal-Mart.

Then you'll need a 4 to 5-pin adapter. This site has pics and a video on how to use this. http://www.etrailer.com/question-111890.html

The 4 to 5 pin adapters have logic so that if both side lights (turn signals) are on they switch on the brake lights.

Good luck.

billybovine
05-07-2015, 08:58 AM
Buy one of these or something similar from a auto parts store. http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/products/vehicle-wiring-connectors/taillight-converters/tail_light_converter_60.html

This will convert the 5 wire of the Big Bike Parts harness to the 4 wire of your trailer. There are several brands available. You do not need an powered isolation type converter because the harness you put in is already is isolated.

gpops
05-09-2015, 08:30 AM
Success at last! The BIG BIKE Parts trailer wire harness 41-162 combined with the Hopkins 5 to 4 converter HM 48895 on my 2015 RT Ltd has restored power to my completely rewired Lumina XL trailer. I had to try three converters before I found one that worked. There are probably others that work, but there are definitely some that don't. Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread. All comments and suggestions were helpful and comments made about successes others had spurred me on. Thanks again! gpops

billybovine
05-09-2015, 09:31 AM
Success at last! The BIG BIKE Parts trailer wire harness 41-162 combined with the Hopkins 5 to 4 converter HM 48895 on my 2015 RT Ltd has restored power to my completely rewired Lumina XL trailer. I had to try three converters before I found one that worked. There are probably others that work, but there are definitely some that don't. Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread. All comments and suggestions were helpful and comments made about successes others had spurred me on. Thanks again! gpops

Thanks for letting us know how it worked out.