PDA

View Full Version : orange screen...check engine or night display?

itcbitc
05-05-2015, 11:52 PM
Just bought my 1st spyder yesterday, rode her home tonight...almost home and got an orange display (orange outline around top and bottom of display), was a about 8pm so I thought maybe display changed due it being darker...but am reading it also may be the check engine. I did the mode/set/signal cancel all at same time and no errors showed up just a white blank display...any ideas?
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107007&stc=1
Oh and she seemed to be running a little warm and she left a small puddle of radiator fluid on the drive way (guessing from overflow). Fan had kicked on, and she seemed warm but I know they tend to run warm. Anyways, have a call in to dealer, but would love to hear if anyone has additional insight for this newbie.

ItcBitc

2014 ST-S SE5

SpyderAnn01
05-06-2015, 01:02 AM
The orange was most likely the night lighting.

Professor
05-06-2015, 04:18 AM
Yep, I thought I was getting the dreaded orange screen when I first rode my RT in the dark, but it was just the night display. If it is there in the daylight, be concerned.

Trbayth
05-06-2015, 08:47 AM
Yeah, kind of questionable User Interface design when the nighttime display and the "oh crap" display are the same color. I'd prefer the option to keep it in daytime mode all the time.

As for the coolant puddle, check the right side, where the hose from the bottom of the coolant tank runs into the water pump. That's where the only old style, worm gear hose clamp is located (all the rest are the pliers kind.) This hose clamp has a tendency to be loose and leak a little.

itcbitc
05-06-2015, 10:27 AM
Yeah, kind of questionable User Interface design when the nighttime display and the "oh crap" display are the same color. I'd prefer the option to keep it in daytime mode all the time.

As for the coolant puddle, check the right side, where the hose from the bottom of the coolant tank runs into the water pump. That's where the only old style, worm gear hose clamp is located (all the rest are the pliers kind.) This hose clamp has a tendency to be loose and leak a little.

Okay I'll check the hose when I get home :-)
here's photo of the display...it shows more orange in person

thanks everyone for your help!
itcbitc

Trbayth
05-06-2015, 11:10 AM
Yep, that's the normal nighttime display

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Chupaca
05-06-2015, 11:20 AM
but the orange screen limp mode usually has indications to a problem. Check engine will show you an engine or codes will show sometimes scrolling messages. Some are glitches but if serious they will not go away or she will quit...there are afew places to check on the leaking. There is an adjustable hose clamp on the radiator that may need tightening. The radiator cap may be on the first detent and needs a second twist. Cracked tank (not likely) and a water pump seal gone bad. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
05-06-2015, 01:38 PM
:congrats: on your new ride. They have you covered on the display question.

Watch the puddling. Maybe a little overfill from the factory. If it persists, get it checked out ASAP.

itcbitc
05-06-2015, 01:58 PM
but the orange screen limp mode usually has indications to a problem. Check engine will show you an engine or codes will show sometimes scrolling messages. Some are glitches but if serious they will not go away or she will quit...there are afew places to check on the leaking. There is an adjustable hose clamp on the radiator that may need tightening. The radiator cap may be on the first detent and needs a second twist. Cracked tank (not likely) and a water pump seal gone bad. :thumbup:

Are you saying the display I am seeing is limp mode?

Chupaca
05-06-2015, 03:18 PM
No if it was you would not be able to Rev high or go fast if you get the limp home orange screen you will know it...not to worry..

itcbitc
05-06-2015, 03:36 PM
No if it was you would not be able to Rev high or go fast if you get the limp home orange screen you will know it...not to worry..

Okay :-) I will find out after work tonight when I take her out.
thank you so much for your replies.

ARtraveler
05-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Are you saying the display I am seeing is limp mode?

If you get the famous orange screen limp mode it will say limp mode and the whole screen will go orange.

itcbitc
05-06-2015, 09:40 PM
If you get the famous orange screen limp mode it will say limp mode and the whole screen will go orange.

Okay just back from a 15 mile ride at all ranges of speed and fluids looked quite full prior and no leaks afterwards! ;-) plus orange screen flipped back to other colors so the orange screen I got was the night display orange.

awesome responses from all and a super huge thanks for the help!

79cutlas
05-14-2015, 11:20 AM
haha, Thanks for answering my question too. I got the orange screen on the way home last night too, I'm a Spyder noob and reading it was some kinda warning light, but it seemed like it was just nighttime mode on my car when it got dark. Was getting worried. These are certainly "odd" little machines

Blade
05-29-2015, 08:54 PM
haha, Thanks for answering my question too. I got the orange screen on the way home last night too, I'm a Spyder noob and reading it was some kinda warning light, but it seemed like it was just nighttime mode on my car when it got dark. Was getting worried. These are certainly "odd" little machines

Thanks I too, was concerned about seeing my digital display screen turn orange.

Blade

Bob Denman
05-30-2015, 02:31 PM
II always kind of preferred the old nighttime display color of BLUE... :shocked:
It caused a lot less confusion! nojoke

Cruzr Joe
05-30-2015, 03:47 PM
The orange was most likely the night lighting.

:agree:

Cruzr joe

Bdomini
10-27-2015, 06:43 PM
I got my RT less than a week ago. I started it at night for the first time tonight and I got orange bands on the top and bottom of the digital screen. Instant panic. Everything I have heard about orange and the digital screen was bad. The manual said there would be a color change at night-but not the dreaded orange. When all seems lost, go to Spyderlovers. I am now reassured that orange bands at night are normal. Thank you to all that support this forum.