PDA

View Full Version : Need more room on RTL

MS_Spyderman
05-05-2015, 10:20 PM
When my wife and I ride together we are pretty crowded. Hey, I know, we need to lose weight. BUT, does anyone have any ideas to make our touring a bit more comfortable? I use a Utopia backrest and I've thought of not using one at all, but I sure love the comfort of the back support.
Has anyone ever modified the passenger backrest to make it thinner, thus more room? This dilemma makes me miss my Goldwing.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-05-2015, 11:43 PM
I'm sure a competent upholstery shop could do it .................but IMHO there isn't much padding for the passenger to begin with......I don't know if it would be worth it ......( room wise ).........................Mike :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
05-06-2015, 01:03 AM
Sounds like you need to use your wife as a backrest.

ARtraveler
05-06-2015, 01:34 PM
Most passenger accommodations on motorcycles are not much better than second class at best. Add in the heavy passenger/driver combo, a back rest that gets in the way, and the ride just is not as much fun anymore.

I ended up getting a second :ani29: to alleviate the problem. Not everyone can do so though. Removal of the driver backrest might help, but it still makes for a cozy ride sometimes. The backrest attached to the top trunk is already thin--so I don't know that will be a good answer.

MS_Spyderman
05-06-2015, 04:16 PM
What is a second :ani29: ? Don't know what that is.

ARtraveler
05-06-2015, 06:33 PM
What is a second :ani29: ? Don't know what that is.

A second Spyder. This is also used by many to designate Spyder. :spyder2:

mob133
05-06-2015, 06:54 PM
#1 if its that snug use the mrs. for a back rest #2 ultimate seats I belive their passenger back rest is cut to allow 3/4 inch more room. hope this helps .
When my wife and I ride together we are pretty crowded. Hey, I know, we need to lose weight. BUT, does anyone have any ideas to make our touring a bit more comfortable? I use a Utopia backrest and I've thought of not using one at all, but I sure love the comfort of the back support.
Has anyone ever modified the passenger backrest to make it thinner, thus more room? This dilemma makes me miss my Goldwing.

PrairieSpyder
05-06-2015, 08:31 PM
+1 on getting a second Spyder!!

PMK
05-06-2015, 10:14 PM
This may sound to extreme. Remove the passenger back rest. Using it as a template, find an upholstery shop that can cut some thin firm foam and wrap it. Use velcro to secure this to the Spyder. This will lose the oem pan that support the foam and secures the cover.

The shop, if you use one and even ensure the foam is sculpted to match the oem plastic of the trunk.

As for the front backrest, I have no experience with your brand. Possibly, like a Corbin, there is adjustments that allow for front to rear and how upright the pad is positioned.

PK

Tango
05-07-2015, 08:21 AM
Time to get her her own Spyder. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

WA5VHU
05-07-2015, 09:25 AM
Sounds like you need to use your wife as a backrest.

We have the same problem. When I'm riding with her on her Spyder and not on my separate 2-wheeler I am her backrest.

:shemademe_smilie: :2thumbs:

MS_Spyderman
05-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys. Some good thoughts. We'll try removing my backrest before running out to get another Spyder. [emoji4]. Gosh, I hope she's not a member of this forum.