PDA

View Full Version : High Idle Problem on Electronic Shift

ibemarkv
12-04-2008, 06:52 PM
I took my spyder in for the break in mileage maintenance and mentioned to the tech that when it gets warm, especially in stop and go traffic, the idle revs up to just under 3000 and won't come down. If you shift into neutral to try and goose it so it comes back down you can't shift back into gear due to the high idle causing an embarassing "push it to the side" moment. They were able to duplicate the issue and had another Spyder in the shop for the same thing. Apprently only happens on the e-shift models. BRP said they are aware of it but do not know how to fix it yet. Have others out there experienced the same thing? Any ideas on how to fix the problem? I really like the Spyder, lots of fun, but now I am a little wary. First model year vehicles always seem to have something wrong.

ataDude
12-04-2008, 07:14 PM
See this thread... probably related:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=62758#post62758

I took my spyder in for the break in mileage maintenance and mentioned to the tech that when it gets warm, especially in stop and go traffic, the idle revs up to just under 3000 and won't come down. If you shift into neutral to try and goose it so it comes back down you can't shift back into gear due to the high idle causing an embarassing "push it to the side" moment. They were able to duplicate the issue and had another Spyder in the shop for the same thing. Apprently only happens on the e-shift models. BRP said they are aware of it but do not know how to fix it yet. Have others out there experienced the same thing? Any ideas on how to fix the problem? I really like the Spyder, lots of fun, but now I am a little wary. First model year vehicles always seem to have something wrong.

Degaman
02-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Two years ago while flying to Florida, I was thumbing through one of the in-flight magazines when I saw a picture of the Spyder. It was love at first sight. Up until last summer I had pestered the wife to give me the green light on a purchase. She so adamantly made her disapproval known that I had given up on the idea.

Imagine my surprise when a can-am key fell out of my stocking on Christmas morning. The love fest was rekindled immediately.

Since then, I have logged almost 400 miles in the cold here in Tennessee. I too have experienced the throttle surge while navigating bumper to bumper traffic. I also made the mistake of shifting to neutral and couldn't make it shift into gear. Yes, it is embarassing to push it out of traffic. After turning it off and back on it was okay again.

Will have to mention the possible fixes at the break-in service.

Also, I have noticed a popping sound on occasion that sounds like it is coming from directly in front of the driver. It sounds like a rock is coming up and hitting something or perhaps a backfire.

Spyderjuice
02-03-2009, 11:22 PM
I've had the same problem and it is after it gets hot. The fastest cure is to turn the engine off and restart. That gets it in a lower idle. I've been to the dealer three times now and no codes and can't duplicate. BRP says they don't know how to fix it yet but have heard of a "few" problems like this. I'm beginning to wonder if the dealer is even calling them.

FANG
02-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Two years ago while flying to Florida, I was thumbing through one of the in-flight magazines when I saw a picture of the Spyder. It was love at first sight. Up until last summer I had pestered the wife to give me the green light on a purchase. She so adamantly made her disapproval known that I had given up on the idea.

Imagine my surprise when a can-am key fell out of my stocking on Christmas morning. The love fest was rekindled immediately.

Since then, I have logged almost 400 miles in the cold here in Tennessee. I too have experienced the throttle surge while navigating bumper to bumper traffic. I also made the mistake of shifting to neutral and couldn't make it shift into gear. Yes, it is embarassing to push it out of traffic. After turning it off and back on it was okay again.

Will have to mention the possible fixes at the break-in service.

Also, I have noticed a popping sound on occasion that sounds like it is coming from directly in front of the driver. It sounds like a rock is coming up and hitting something or perhaps a backfire.

welcome and :congrats: ON YOUR :spyder2:. Enjoy the ryde. :2thumbs:

bjt
02-04-2009, 10:55 AM

Nice story and Welcome to SpyderLovers Degaman. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Happy/hi-103.gif

NancysToy
02-04-2009, 11:08 AM
I don't think the high idle problem is restricted to the SE5s. We have experienced an intermittent high idle at 2,500-3,500 rpm several times. Unfortunately, on the SE5 it causes shift problems, while on the SM5 it is merely an annoyance. My guess is electronic glitches somewhere on the CanBus, which are confusing the ECU.
-Scotty

sleepman
02-04-2009, 11:35 AM
While I don't have the high idle on my SM5 it did seem to idle rough from time to time. When I had the oil leak problem I found that one of the plug wires was bad and I actually think this may have attributed to my rough idle. I'll find out this weekend when I pick it up.

opticat
02-04-2009, 11:56 AM
My 2009 SE-5 has been in the shop for a month now for shifting problems. The problem is intermittent, and the dealer can't duplicate it with his little rides around the parking lot so it looks as if they won't fix it. Going to get it back and try somewhere else as I feel that getting stuck in gear and having to push it out of the way of traffic is a safety issue.

Sara
02-05-2009, 06:16 PM
....did you get the new, longer and stronger oil pressure spring (on recall) installed? I got mine done today, and it made a great difference---almost perfect now....