PDA

View Full Version : Belt alignment test

JAEN
05-05-2015, 04:27 PM
Hi All. Can I lift our 2010 RTS SE5 on the rear shock mount to raise the rear tire and run the engine in 1st gear and reverse at idle ? (without getting codes since the front tires are not moving) Thx Jae

Bob Denman
05-05-2015, 04:34 PM
If you just want ot check the belt alignment; ride the bike straight forward, and park it...
Then; take a look to see where the belt is on the rear sprocket. :thumbup:

It's a complete and utter waste of time to try looking at any reading that is taken after you've backed the bike up. :yikes: The belt wanders all over the place in reverse! nojoke

cognaccruiser
05-05-2015, 04:55 PM
If you are thinking of jacking it up to check belt tension or adjust the alignment, it is not a good idea to jack it up under the shock because you can bend the bolt holding the shock to the frame. Better to put the jack under the frame of the chassi in front of the shock. This is if you just want to raise the back wheel. Remember to chock the front tires. Hope this is what you were asking about.

Gary

Craniac
05-05-2015, 05:00 PM
On my 2013, I get codes and the orange screen of death. But driving it after checking the belt clears the codes and the orange screen.

So, I'm guessing you will get a code but it will clear withing a mile or two.

Chupaca
05-05-2015, 05:19 PM
you can lift the rear and run it but you need to be careful. Make sure you have a good floor jack (no sissor types) and block the front wheels well. Easy when manual we keep one hand on the clutch. You can do it manually turning a few full turns in either direction...:thumbup:

happyspyder2039
05-05-2015, 06:55 PM
Hi All. Can I lift our 2010 RTS SE5 on the rear shock mount to raise the rear tire and run the engine in 1st gear and reverse at idle ? (without getting codes since the front tires are not moving) Thx Jae
I It has been covered before not to do this as it will mess up the speed sensor computer unless disconnected here is a link that might be useful http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?37974-RT-Hitch-removal-and-belt-adjustment&highlight=Belt+adjust

900Dave
05-05-2015, 07:19 PM
On my 2013, I get codes and the orange screen of death. But driving it after checking the belt clears the codes and the orange screen.

So, I'm guessing you will get a code but it will clear withing a mile or two.

Not knowing this at the time I did the same and threw some codes due to the fact the front tire were not turning. Codes cleared after driving it. If you need to make an adjustment, make a small one and go around the the block and then check it.

oldgoat
05-05-2015, 07:45 PM
Didn't throw any codes on my '08 GS when I did it. ( not supported on the shock attachment)

Firefly
05-06-2015, 08:35 AM
I've never had any codes thrown when running the Spyder while jacked up.... Did this on my 08 GS and my 12 RT.
also.... Run it in 3rd gear in case you drop the rear... That way the engine should stall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk