PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about lights?

jlg
05-04-2015, 09:27 AM
Folks,
I've lit up everything I can find on the bike, and yet ONE of the circles in the headlights doesn't appear to do anything. I've hopefully attached a picture of what I am talking about.

Any ideas here??? Do I need to get this back to the dealer to see why this isn't lighting? Also what are they/WHEN are they supposed to light up?
Thanks,
Jim

revjvegas
05-04-2015, 09:58 AM
that is as it should be

I think in the UK they use those slots for the low beams, but not here in the states.

Lew L
05-04-2015, 10:21 AM
We must find a use for this space!!! Rocket launcher, twin 30 cal's, more turnsignals, running lights???

Kaos

Chupaca
05-04-2015, 11:33 AM
you could always add lights there connecting to the park/running lights. :dontknow: or order the european set up which is better, they have less road lighting...:thumbup:

ARtraveler
05-04-2015, 12:19 PM
They have you covered. As it should be is correct. :yes:

LLSailor
05-04-2015, 12:51 PM
We must find a use for this space!!! Rocket launcher, twin 30 cal's, more turnsignals, running lights???

Kaos

Need a Marvin the Martian disintegrator, otherwise there's just more junk to drive through.

Lew L
05-04-2015, 03:00 PM
I like that idea!!!

Kaos

NorCalBud
05-04-2015, 05:08 PM
I asked this very same question as my first post here on SL about 2 years ago (and got the same answer about being on European use only). It was driving me nuts thinking that something on my Spyder was already broken when I just got it. Nice to see this blank spot bothers someone else too!
:thumbup:

Phil
05-04-2015, 05:59 PM
That little thing is a small convex mirror on the USA RTs.

You can add a small LED projection light (1 LED) to shine on to that mirror from down in the fog shroud. Not easy, but it can be done.

Deanna777
05-04-2015, 06:30 PM
I asked this very same question as my first post here on SL about 2 years ago (and got the same answer about being on European use only). It was driving me nuts thinking that something on my Spyder was already broken when I just got it. Nice to see this blank spot bothers someone else too!
:thumbup:I also have a 2014RTS-SE6 and the same area (blank Spot does not light up for me. Deanna

Deanna777
05-04-2015, 06:32 PM
That little thing is a small convex mirror on the USA RTs.

You can add a small LED projection light (1 LED) to shine on to that mirror from down in the fog shroud. Not easy, but it can be done.Can a dealer add a small LED projection light( 1 LED)? Deanna

Phil
05-04-2015, 11:59 PM
Deanna- depends on the dealer. I'm not trying to be trite, but my dealer... absolutely not. But I'm sure there are some that might be able to tackle it.

GeoffCee
05-05-2015, 08:24 AM
that is as it should be

I think in the UK they use those slots for the low beams, but not here in the states.

Nope, I ride a UK-spec RT and I can tell you for sure they're NOT our low beams. I doubt they serve any purpose at all, other than to create speculation among Spyder riders as to why they are there! :hun:

GeoffCee
05-05-2015, 08:28 AM
Can a dealer add a small LED projection light( 1 LED)? Deanna

One LED on its own would just about light up a small room in a doll's house. Just about. :shocked:

Phil
05-05-2015, 04:05 PM
One LED on its own would just about light up a small room in a doll's house. Just about. :shocked:

Oh Geoff.... with the right LED and a little bit of lens focusing..... it'll light up the entire fog light shiny bits!

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-06-2015, 12:24 AM
Oh Geoff.... with the right LED and a little bit of lens focusing..... it'll light up the entire fog light shiny bits!

:agree:......I believe the new OEM LED headlites ( for various vehicles ) are a single LED chip.........Mike :thumbup:

GeoffCee
05-06-2015, 04:22 AM

Phil, thanks for the info! I fitted left and right LED's to my RT's dash to make my turn signals more visible (to me) - they're a huge improvement over the dim hard-to-see stock item but even so they're not so bright as to dazzle me at night. It was my experience of those LED's I had in mind.

I should have remembered that I have also mounted a pair of LED daylight running lamps on my RT and they are very bright indeed but each lamp is illuminated by 4 CREE LED's, each one having its own reflector to throw its output forward. Used in a doll's house they would prolly give a dolly sunburn! ;)

Phil
05-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Used in a doll's house they would prolly give a dolly sunburn! ;)
HA!!! So true!!