PDA

View Full Version : I found today hard!

Netminder
05-03-2015, 06:59 PM
I do not usually discuss my personal life here, but this is in a way a bit riding related. My father has been extremely sick the last couple of months and has been in palliative care for the last 3 weeks. We as a family have been taking shifts to make sure he has someone everyday and as I am still working I have the weekends. I really do not mind as it allows me to spend time with him. He is 91 and up until a few months ago was totally independent and still driving, so it is very hard to watch him going down so quick and suffering. So I have had no time to change my oil and take my Spyder out for its first ride of the season, and this weekend was hard as the weather was finally beautiful and warm and there were so many bikes out! I felt guilty wishing I was riding, but emotions have been so high the last couple of months, that it would be so nice to get out. This feeling will pass and I will get out eventually, I just hope he does not suffer much more and finds some peace soon. Not sure why I wrote this, but feels better now that I did. Thanks.

cuznjohn
05-03-2015, 07:04 PM
PRAYERS COMING YOUR WAY

Netminder
05-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Thank you cuznjohn.

oldgoat
05-03-2015, 07:16 PM
I hope he has a peaceful departure. You are able to do something I was not, as my parents were in the UK when they died & both did it suddenly.

It was nice out today though, but you will get your share of beautiful days.

PrairieSpyder
05-03-2015, 07:16 PM
Praying for your Dad and for you. :pray: My Pa's 90th birthday was yesterday, and I cherish all the time I get to spend with him now.

Spyder_Cowgirl
05-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Netminder .... I know your pain. My mother is also 91 and suffered a serious fall last September; 1 week in hospital and 3 weeks in respite care were needed. Because she lived at home and alone, the Social Worker would not release her to go home until round the clock care was set up. Fortunately, already had a working relationship with "Seniors at Home" in San Francisco and they were able to provide two aides (one of which is there 24 / 7 now). My mother is whip smart and keeps her mind active, it's just her body is old and tired -- but, I prefer to keep her at home as long as possible. She will be happier and healthier at home ... I know that ... but it is still difficult to see her decline. I don't see it every day, nor every weekend, as she is in California and I am in Texas (and that presents a whole new set of challenges ... as I'm sure you can imagine).

Anyway ... you are not alone in facing this difficult time and I pray for your father, for you, and for your family. Peace be with you ... Ann

ARtraveler
05-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Our thoughts and :pray::pray: go with you.

Netminder
05-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Thanks all! And :pray::pray:to you and your Mom also Ann!

Orange Spyder Man
05-03-2015, 07:34 PM
my prayers are with your Dad and you...

osm

bmccaffrey
05-03-2015, 07:35 PM
Netminder
It's always nice to share feelings and get it off your mind.All your feelings are natural.
I know how you feel. Went through the same thing 1 1/2 years ago. My dad was 88 and failed quickly.
I know it's tough not to ride but u only get one Mom and Dad. Spend as muçh time as u can with them.
There will be plenty of time to ride.
God Bles you and you Dad :pray:

Bigtow
05-03-2015, 07:43 PM
Thoughts and prayers to you going thru the same thing with my dad...

Dennis in Lodi
05-03-2015, 08:00 PM
Buried my 91 year old father two weeks ago. Do everything you can to be there for his last moment. It's a very spiritual an powerfull moment for all.

Before my father passed we joked about him giving me a sign from beyond. We were at a Hospice and I watched his last breath. A little while later I went to get a pop. Had not drank or ate anything for about four hours, my mind was elsewhere. I needed some change from my pocket and in doing so I dropped 3 coins on the floor. The quarter rolled under the pop machine, a dime circled around and came back to me. But, the nickle I dropped neither rolled or spun. I laned BALANCED on it's edge between my feet and never moved.
I stepped back and called over a Hospice custodian and asked him if he could see the nickle standing on it's edge. He said YEP! I asked if he would believe me if I said it landed like that. He said you bet. Every single day unexplained things happen at this facility but that's a first.

Just thought I would share.

Deanna777
05-03-2015, 08:03 PM
Netminder, Spend as much time with your dad, :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray: go out to you and your family. Deanna

one2doo
05-03-2015, 08:10 PM
Prayers

Cruising RT
05-03-2015, 08:19 PM
I do not usually discuss my personal life here, but this is in a way a bit riding related. My father has been extremely sick the last couple of months and has been in palliative care for the last 3 weeks. We as a family have been taking shifts to make sure he has someone everyday and as I am still working I have the weekends. I really do not mind as it allows me to spend time with him. He is 91 and up until a few months ago was totally independent and still driving, so it is very hard to watch him going down so quick and suffering. So I have had no time to change my oil and take my Spyder out for its first ride of the season, and this weekend was hard as the weather was finally beautiful and warm and there were so many bikes out! I felt guilty wishing I was riding, but emotions have been so high the last couple of months, that it would be so nice to get out. This feeling will pass and I will get out eventually, I just hope he does not suffer much more and finds some peace soon. Not sure why I wrote this, but feels better now that I did. Thanks.

May God be by your side during this difficult time. I lost my step Dad last week, and I have great comfort in knowing that God needed another Hero in his kingdom. Stay Strong and treasure your time with your dad.

Retired 2012
05-03-2015, 08:21 PM
We can relate, my wife takes care of her Dad 24/7 for the last 3 years. He is 91 also and lives in another town. Care giving is a very stressful and emotional task. Please know our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Make time to decompress when you can.
God Bless
DJ

retread
05-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Thoughts and Prayers for your Dad, you, and family.

john

3 Wheel Rider
05-03-2015, 08:42 PM
Thanks for sharing. Don't feel guilty about wanting to take some time for yourself. Witnessing a loved one age and seeing their daily challenges is not an easy task. I live in a different state than the rest of my family and my siblings experienced the same struggle/moral dilemma recently. You see, just last month my mom (72yrs) was a passenger in a vehicle that was struck by a 17yr old female driver. The accident was so bad that one of her feet was amputated when the vehicle colapsed around her and she was subsequently taken by life flight to the hospital an hour drive away. My siblings drove to and from the hospital every day for a week before she passed. In addition to the daily drives, my brother had to commute 4 hrs each direction a couple times so he could catch up on work for his employer. Why do I bring this up, not for sympathy or empathy but rather to simply share that they too expressed guilt about wanting to take a day for themselves while she was in ICU, especially after she flat-lined and was resuscitated. If it helps, each eventually took a day off and it helped them rejuvenate their mental well being.

Here it is a few weeks later and my siblings are back to doing daily runs to the hospital for our aging aunt (88yrs).

Obviously the decision is yours and the amount of time you share with your loved one will be cherished by both of you. The question that you need to ask yourself is, "Can you give yourself permission to take a few moments for your own benefit?

WEB-WVR
05-03-2015, 09:11 PM
Netminder; Hang in there these are tough times and many of us have been through similar. On one of the days you are not caring for your Dad...get the oil changed, do a safety check and wash your Spyder. :spyder2: Get it road ready....it will make you feel good.

Also, I can only say for now...spend as much time with your Dad as you can. He will be thankful and you wont regret one minute of it...you will be glad you did. My Dad had terminal lung cancer he died when I was 25 some 34 years ago...way to young. My brother and I did not understand how serious it was. Either the doctors did not tell Mom and Dad or they kept/protected us from how serious it was. When he was getting worse he asked me to go with him on a fishing trip (it would have been his last)... but newly married, working, etc....I at the time felt too busy to go with him and did not. I regret to this very day not going on that fishing trip with him.

So dont feel bad about anything...the Spyder will be waiting for you, your Dad needs you and you will always have the memories !

Thoughts are with you and your family ! :pray:

WEB-WVR
05-03-2015, 09:14 PM
To all those here that are going through challenging times or have gone through the challenges of life and poor health and the loss of loved ones... not to speak for others but we all care....you are not alone. :spyder2:

Chupaca
05-03-2015, 09:26 PM
:pray::pray::pray:'s to you all. I'm down to one parental family member and know what it's like...:pray: the sun will keep shinning for you both..you can ryde in it and he can see you clearly...

Netminder
05-04-2015, 05:58 AM
To all those here that are going through challenging times or have gone through the challenges of life and poor health and the loss of loved ones... not to speak for others but we all care....you are not alone. :spyder2:
Thanks for saying, what I was thinking! Prayers to all. My Dad too is terminal lung cancer, and has said " it is not fun dying of this" and I told him exactly what you mentioned above, many people die of it much younger than 91. But I guess it does not matter how old you are when you are there! Thanks agin to all for your words and prayers.

harrypottar
05-04-2015, 06:08 AM
Netminder; not spoken for while, sorry to hear about your farther, hang in their bud our thoughts are with you and your family.

harry :pray:

Netminder
05-04-2015, 06:25 AM
Thanks Harrypottar, great to hear from you! Haven't rode together since SITA 2012, hope we can again soon. Take Care.

mastertek2000
05-04-2015, 06:33 AM
net you are doing the correct thing you can always ride but you can't replace the time with your dad prayers go out to you and your family

Bob Denman
05-04-2015, 07:11 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are going out to your family... :pray::pray:
:agree: riding your Spyder is nowhere near as important as this time with your Dad.
Celebrate his life with him while you can!

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-04-2015, 07:18 AM
Netminder, don't worry about the oil change. If the weather is good take it out for a 20 minute spin. It'll help you feel better, give time for you to reflect what your Dad has meant to you, and refresh your soul. You need a few minutes just for yourself at a time like this.

jwood4242
05-04-2015, 07:27 AM

No need to have feelings of guilt for being human. The feelings you're experiencing are part of what makes you who you are and it sounds like you are a wonderful person. I wish you the best during this difficult time and hope you are able to find the strength and peace needed to get you through:pray:

Netminder
05-11-2015, 10:45 AM
My Dad passed away at 2:30 this morning.Glad his suffering is over and he has some peace now. Thanks all for the prayers.:pray::pray:

Bob Denman
05-11-2015, 10:59 AM
:pray::pray: You are all in our thoughts and prayers...
We're sorry for your loss.

spydaman60
05-11-2015, 11:53 AM
sorry for your loss netminder. i'm sure that fond memories will get you thru the next few days. prayers shipped to you and your family from nj!! :pray::pray:

bscrive
05-11-2015, 12:13 PM
Sorry for your loss Netminder.
We went through a similar process in 2004 for my mom, she had lung and bone cancer. It's a relief when their pain ends.

Brian

03hdjill
05-11-2015, 01:05 PM
Netminder, Our deepest sympathy for the loss of your father. Will keep you and your family in prayer. We have been through what you have experienced. Things get better in time. Hold on to all of your good memories.

Buggy
05-11-2015, 02:54 PM
My deepest condolences...the time you spent with him will be priceless to you.

Take care and ride safe!

sandeejs
05-11-2015, 03:25 PM
My Dad passed away at 2:30 this morning.Glad his suffering is over and he has some peace now. Thanks all for the prayers.:pray::pray:

{{{{{{ Netminder}}}}}}}}}

~Sandee~

Tango
05-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Very sorry to hear of your loss. :pray::pray::pray:

CanAmChris
05-11-2015, 05:37 PM
... I felt guilty wishing I was riding, ...

Netminder, please don't feel guilty about being human and wanting to find some comfort and happiness doing something you love. For many of us, wind therapy is a very real thing and it helps us through the bad patches and stresses of life.

If you ask any parent what they want for their child, the first thing on every list is happiness. I suspect your father would say the same.

You did the right thing by spending time with your father, you have nothing to feel guilty about.

I lost my Dad in 1997 and didn't get a chance to spend time with him before it happened. You are only a days ride away from me, let me know if you want someone to ride with, and talk to, who has gone through it.

Spyder ri
05-11-2015, 06:24 PM
Prayers for your family coming. [emoji120] it was a lot of reflecting for me during these times also.

3 Wheel Rider
05-11-2015, 06:30 PM
My mom passed last month (car accident) and my aunt passed on Friday (natural causes).

Your family is in prayer!

Dan McNally
05-11-2015, 06:40 PM
Prayers for your dad, and your family.

napper39
05-11-2015, 06:40 PM
im thinking of you :pray::pray::pray: for you and your dad:pray:

Netminder
05-11-2015, 08:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words and prayers. It has helped very much.

oldgoat
05-12-2015, 08:29 AM
I'm very sorry to hear that your dad has passed on. Cherish your good memories.

Netminder
05-14-2015, 04:39 PM
It was very hard the past month and a half, but my dad is not suffering anymore, and for that I am happy! RIP Dad! This week I was able to get my oil changed and today I got out for my first ride! Man did that feel good, I thought of how I took my Dad for a ride two years ago at the ripe age of 89, and that brought a bigger smile to my face and I remembered how much he enjoyed it! Once again thanks everyone for their :pray::pray:. Hope everyone has a great and safe riding season!:doorag:

ARtraveler
05-14-2015, 04:56 PM
It was very hard the past month and a half, but my dad is not suffering anymore, and for that I am happy! RIP Dad! This week I was able to get my oil changed and today I got out for my first ride! Man did that feel good, I thought of how I took my Dad for a ride two years ago at the ripe age of 89, and that brought a bigger smile to my face and I remembered how much he enjoyed it! Once again thanks everyone for their :pray::pray:. Hope everyone has a great and safe riding season!:doorag:

Cherish the memories of the good times. Riding is a good cure for bad situations.

Glad to hear you are back.

jlg
05-14-2015, 07:02 PM
My condolences (and prayers) to you and your family. No more suffering for your Dad which is a really good thing. Remember all the great times you had together. God Bless.

Squadcarman
05-14-2015, 07:12 PM
I pray that your father finds peace and rest in heaven.

Netminder
05-14-2015, 07:41 PM
Thanks guys and gals!

donkes
05-14-2015, 08:34 PM
It's tough saying goodbye. Best wishes

IntoTheWind
05-14-2015, 09:19 PM
Your family is in our prayers.

one2doo
05-14-2015, 11:16 PM
Sorry for your loss :pray:

cuznjohn
05-14-2015, 11:31 PM

so sorry for your loss :pray::pray: