PDA

View Full Version : HERE'S THE PLAN

SPYD3R
05-03-2015, 05:00 PM
Pat (RT, fispyder) and I (F3-S, SPYD3R) are planning our X-Country ride... we'd like your help and or suggestions as to sites to visit or roads to take or avoid... AVOID being the key here...

we'll be leaving Greenville, SC on or about June 27th... our plan is to pick up Rt. 84 somewhere in Alabama, and follow it to our 1st hard-stop is Odessa, TX to visit with a friend of mine... from there, we plan to head over to NM for 2 hard-stop and visit Carlsbad then north to Roswell to visit my alien relatives... off to AZ and a hard-stop for me to visit with Glenn 'BIG BIRD' Johnson in Golden Valley, AZ... Pat will break off alone and head to Oxnard, CA to visit with his son... 5 - 7 days later, Pat and i will meet back up, and we'll head north-north-east thru UT and over to Yellowstone for another hard-stop for couple days... once we've enjoyed "Old Faithful" and the buffalo's, we'll ride east to Deadwood, SD for the SPYD3R gathering in July... from there - HOME... we figure about 4 weeks in the saddle...

If anyone can recommend good places to stop and visit; cities, sites, motels, restaurants, etc, please let us know... also, if you'd like to join us for a portion of our ride, you are more than welcomed to do so... whether it be 10 miles or 1000...
Dan P
Easley, SC
F3-S

SPYD3R
05-10-2015, 04:29 PM
would any1 out there that may have suggestions....????
would be greatly appreciated...
dp

900Dave
05-10-2015, 04:36 PM
I have been told Cody, Wyoming is a must see by several different people.

GOZFST
05-10-2015, 05:18 PM
Cody, WY has some great roads,Hwy 13 from Yellowstone to Devils Tower is a great road, Devils Tower to Spearfish and take Spearfish Canyon Road towards Cheyenne Crossing, eat Indian Taco's at Cheyenne Crossing. Go N towards Deadwood, If you want to see Sturgis stay on 14A to Sturgis. After Sturgis go out main st which will be exit 32 on 94 head towards Van Ocker Canyon (one of my favorites in the hills) when you come to a stop sign take a left at Nemo, take that for about 10 miles till you see the sign for Johnson Siding, take a right there. Take that out to Hwy 44 and go right on 44 to 385 take a left towards Custer, stop at Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse (I'd skip Crazy Horse, but that's just me). As you go through Hill City there will be a restaurant Alpine Inn, if it's supper time EAT THERE. Two items on the menu, large and small sirloin, makes my mouth water just thinking about it. At Custer tale a left towards Custer State Park, ride the Iron Mtn road, 17 miles, 314 curves,14 switchbacks,3 pigtails, 3 tunnels.
When you get to The Black Hills give a shout if you want some company.

900Dave
05-10-2015, 06:13 PM
Cody, WY has some great roads,Hwy 13 from Yellowstone to Devils Tower is a great road, Devils Tower to Spearfish and take Spearfish Canyon Road towards Cheyenne Crossing, eat Indian Taco's at Cheyenne Crossing. Go N towards Deadwood, If you want to see Sturgis stay on 14A to Sturgis. After Sturgis go out main st which will be exit 32 on 94 head towards Van Ocker Canyon (one of my favorites in the hills) when you come to a stop sign take a left at Nemo, take that for about 10 miles till you see the sign for Johnson Crossing, take a right there. Take that out to Hwy 44 and go left towards Custer, stop at Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse (I'd skip Crazy Horse, nut that's just me). As you go through Hill City there will be a restaurant Alpine Inn, if it's supper time EAT THERE. Two items on the menu, large and small sirloin, makes my mouth water just thinking about it. At Custer tale a left towards Custer State Park, ride the Iron Mtn road, 17 miles, 314 curves,14 switchbacks,3 pigtails, 3 tunnels.
When you get to The Black Hills give a shout if you want some company.

WOW! I am ready to pack up and head to Wyoming!

oldgoat
05-10-2015, 06:39 PM
We go to Cody a lot & always do the Chief Joseph Hwy & the Beartooth Pass.

SPYD3R
05-10-2015, 06:51 PM
WOW! I am ready to pack up and head to Wyoming!

JOIN US DAVE.....
WE LEAVE JUNE 27th..... 4 weeks on the road, ending in Deadwood for the 3 WHEEL EVENT... http://d3wr.com/
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R F3-S

Bfromla
05-10-2015, 06:54 PM
So here's a copy of my places to visit enjoy. (Fyi is random redneck list of what i want to see)
Places to visit/see:
Look out MT Chattanooga TN
Deals gap (tail of dragon)
Bell airport (glacier girl) Middlesboro KY mammoth cave KY
Bulldog cafe from (rocketeer)
The University of Georgia, 188 Central of Georgia Railroad, Athens, GA 30601
(706) 542-8511
Mile marker 0, southernmost point E&W cost, All national/historical-parks &monuments
Yellowstone & smokey MTs
Sequoia nat park
crater lake
Grand Canyon
Rushmore
Roswell
niagara falls
Alaska
Devils peak (close encounter3kind)
Vegas
Cheers(bar)Boston
Hollywood sign &star walk Golden Gate Bridge
Carlsbad caverns & various caves
light house(jaws)
hole in the rock (transformers4)
Collect pics of bike in front of the welcome to state signs, all lower 48! Canada & Mexico too

Tee shirt collection or poker chips from Harley Davidson shops😏👍& can-am dealers😬😎
OCC shop
mythbusters
M5 lab.
Various paintball fields
shooters grill

http://youtu.be/EYMlzLMwv1M
Middle of no where diner
(http://eccentricroadside.blogspot.com/2011/02/all-dressed-up-and-nowhere-to-go-middle.html?m=1).
Did recently enjoy natural bridge in Clinton AR, & natural falls in west Siloam springs OK beautiful natural wonders & great place to stretch legs fyi. ENJOY:yes:

Chupaca
05-10-2015, 07:00 PM
sounds like a great trip. Hope you have a great time, the wind is to your back and the the sun shines through everyday...:2thumbs::ohyea::ohyea:

ravseren
05-10-2015, 07:02 PM
If you get near Knoxville going or coming and need a place to stay, let me know.
Seth
seth@smintz.com

spydaman60
05-10-2015, 07:08 PM
we're headed out there from nj on july 1st. doing SD, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, and ND. Will be in SD july 3rd to 8th, and Wyoming july 9th to 15th. Love to meet you for a ride or two. keep an eye open for an f3s in magnesium silver and black!!! we'll be looking for ya! :thumbup:

SPYD3R
05-10-2015, 07:21 PM
we're headed out there from nj on july 1st. doing SD, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, and ND. Will be in SD july 3rd to 8th, and Wyoming july 9th to 15th. Love to meet you for a ride or two. keep an eye open for an f3s in magnesium silver and black!!! we'll be looking for ya! :thumbup:

my eye will be seeing a MAG/BLACKF3-S the entire ride... b'kuz i'll b on it.... :roflblack: my partner will be on an RT Limited, all black...
PM me your phone #, and i'll PM mine back...... r u going to the Deadwood event....???
Dan P

900Dave
05-10-2015, 07:24 PM
JOIN US DAVE.....
WE LEAVE JUNE 27th..... 4 weeks on the road, ending in Deadwood for the 3 WHEEL EVENT... http://d3wr.com/
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R F3-S

I would love too! Just one dreaded thing in the way. WORK!!!:banghead: You know I gotta pay to play, so off to work I go.

happyspyder2039
05-10-2015, 07:55 PM
Pat (RT, fispyder) and I (F3-S, SPYD3R) are planning our X-Country ride... we'd like your help and or suggestions as to sites to visit or roads to take or avoid... AVOID being the key here...

we'll be leaving Greenville, SC on or about June 27th... our plan is to pick up Rt. 84 somewhere in Alabama, and follow it to our 1st hard-stop is Odessa, TX to visit with a friend of mine... from there, we plan to head over to NM for 2 hard-stop and visit Carlsbad then north to Roswell to visit my alien relatives... off to AZ and a hard-stop for me to visit with Glenn 'BIG BIRD' Johnson in Golden Valley, AZ... Pat will break off alone and head to Oxnard, CA to visit with his son... 5 - 7 days later, Pat and i will meet back up, and we'll head north-north-east thru UT and over to Yellowstone for another hard-stop for couple days... once we've enjoyed "Old Faithful" and the buffalo's, we'll ride east to Deadwood, SD for the SPYD3R gathering in July... from there - HOME... we figure about 4 weeks in the saddle...

If anyone can recommend good places to stop and visit; cities, sites, motels, restaurants, etc, please let us know... also, if you'd like to join us for a portion of our ride, you are more than welcomed to do so... whether it be 10 miles or 1000...
Dan P
Easley, SC
F3-Sgreat trip ahead. I would do Carlsbad cavern for sure. Then Grand Canyon up from williams az but make reservations way ahead. I would stay at Cameron trading post. From there follow hwy 160 up thru monument valley to 191 in Moab,Utah for arches natl. park/dead horse point.

spydaman60
05-10-2015, 07:56 PM
pm sent!

Highwayman2013
05-10-2015, 08:55 PM
Sounds like a great ride, I agree you must ride Spearfish Canyon and Vanocker Canyon. 16A near Rushmore is a great road. If you have time ride the Badlands.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107292&stc=1

GOZFST
05-10-2015, 09:12 PM
Sounds like a great ride, I agree you mus ride Spearfish Canyon and Vanocker Canyon. 16A near Rushmore is a great road. If you have time ride the Badlands.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107292&stc=1
+1 You can get there either from I90 exit 110 Wall and then go E thru the Park, or head out from Rapid City (near Rapid Honda, the Spyder dealer in town) on Hwy 44 out to Interior and then back on the Park road.

gman214
05-10-2015, 09:15 PM
If you come thru Chattanooga, holler at me. We could hit a couple of places. The Battlefield, Lookout Mtn. just to name a couple places.

rtotten
05-11-2015, 09:25 AM
Moab, Utah to Torrey, Utah to Bryce Canyon then on to Zions is a must see in Utah.

TomW
05-11-2015, 09:59 AM
I agree with everyone's suggestions, especially about Cody, WY. While you’re there, if you have time, you should visit the Buffalo Bill Center of the West along with the Cody Firearms Museum. If you like guns they have the largest collection I've ever seen. It used to be in the basement of the Center of the West but that was eons ago. These days it does cost extra to see the weapons but I feel it's worth it.

Enjoy the trip wherever you stop.
TomW

GOZFST
05-11-2015, 02:42 PM
I agree with everyone's suggestions, especially about Cody, WY. While you’re there, if you have time, you should visit the Buffalo Bill Center of the West along with the Cody Firearms Museum. If you like guns they have the largest collection I've ever seen. It used to be in the basement of the Center of the West but that was eons ago. These days it does cost extra to see the weapons but I feel it's worth it.

Enjoy the trip wherever you stop.
TomW
+1 for The Cody Museum.

SPYD3R
05-11-2015, 06:04 PM
Sounds like a great ride, I agree you must ride Spearfish Canyon and Vanocker Canyon. 16A near Rushmore is a great road. If you have time ride the Badlands.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107292&stc=1

I'LL BE STAYING WITH FRIENDS IN SPAREFISH, while attending the 3 WHEEL RALLY in Deadwood.....
Dan P

SPYD3R
05-11-2015, 06:39 PM
Moab, Utah to Torrey, Utah to Bryce Canyon then on to Zions is a must see in Utah.

WE DID TORREY, UT to PANGUITCH, UT in 2013.... via Rt. 12, AMERICAS MOST SCENIC HIGHWAY.... and it was just fabulous....

SPYD3R
05-11-2015, 07:37 PM
We go to Cody a lot & always do the Chief Joseph Hwy & the Beartooth Pass.

OLD GOAT.... Maybe if you also ride out there, we can meet up, and i can see how you mounted those FOOT BORDZ i sent you...
hope all is well my friend....

SOUNDS LIKE CODY, WY is the place to go.... i can't wait....
Bon jour
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R

Major spyder
05-14-2015, 09:21 AM
We're riding in form montana ...will be there a couple of days early...to ride the black hills ...badlands....

see you there...

howard

easysuper
05-14-2015, 09:47 AM
Definetly take the Cheif Joseph Hwy. and Bear Tooth Pass as oldgoat was saying. I spent 5 months in Gellitte Wyoming last summer and rode every weekend and that was my favorite ride . Try to stay in Cody as theye is a great museum there. We stayed at some cabins and they also had a western show put on that night with a steak buffet dinner. If you are close enough when leaving California going north try to make Crater Lake , that is a great ride and absolutly beautiful.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107468&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107469&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107470&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107471&stc=1

cyclekid58
05-14-2015, 10:36 AM

Dan P
Easley, SC
F3-S

FYI: It was just announced that the national park entrance fee for Yellowstone is going up June-1 from $25 to $30, and a separate entrance fee for Grand Teton will now be charged instead of the previous combined fee, these are good for 7 days.

jtpollock
05-14-2015, 11:12 AM

Dan P
Easley, SC
F3-S

In my opinion you have to go over Beartooth Pass leaving Yellowstone head to Gardiner at Hwy 212 go over the Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge then make your way to Deadwood. I did the Yellowstone side and am told I missed the best part. Have a safe trip I'll look for you in deadwood. :2thumbs: jtpollock