PDA

View Full Version : how cold is 2 cold,,,,,,,,,

hondaman
12-02-2008, 10:06 PM
its getting cold here,what is the coldest some of you have gone for a ride?At least 20 miles+.not a ride to get the mail. im at 27 now

docdoru
12-02-2008, 10:10 PM
46 in Tampa...:yikes:

Greg H.
12-02-2008, 10:23 PM
I've ridden 35-38 degrees for 28 miles to the office. :) That's probably my limit.

And, when it gets in the mid 40s, and below, I switch to my Tour Master Polar Tex Gloves w/liners. :)

jwfranklin
12-02-2008, 10:52 PM
When I was Younger as long as it was above frezzing and not raining I rode my bike to work, about 20m one way I also went on 150-200 mile trips on weekend, same conditions, As I got older the temp went up. Can not take the cold like I use to. Today it has to be above 40. But not working anymore. So mostly on weekends when I can find someone to go with me. In Ga if you wait till 10am or so this ususally isn't a problem. But it has been unusually cold this year. Average high is about 58. the last few weeks barley getting into the 40's Having lived in Ohio, and Maryland for a while. I can tell you I could stand 40 up there better than I could down here.

Wayne

arachnomania
12-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Have ridden in the thirties quite a bit, but for long hours in the saddle nothing beats my heated gear from Gerbings. Socks, gloves, pants and jackets with adjustable thermostats for diffrent zones of gear. Twenties have even been no problem, but no exposed skin. With the right gear riding in the cold can be more enjoyable than on a 100 degree day.

NautiBrit
12-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I think you may have posted this to the wrong board, you should try the Packers board, especially when they're playing Chicago. You'll always find the crazies in sub-zero temperatures wearing nothing but a smile and war paint.........I think that their answer is an alcohol based anti-freeze that can be taken orally, but appears to evaporate quickly as it is replaced often.

bone crusher
12-03-2008, 05:56 AM
My general rule is that if my hands start to freeze in the normal gloves that I wear (while I ride), then it's too cold to ride...that means about 45 degrees for me!

Then again, some here have better windshields and that makes a huge difference...some protect the hands a little...

Anyone with CHAD yet??

Lamonster
12-03-2008, 08:25 AM
It all depends on your gear. I did a Ironbutt from San Diego to East TN one time and on that trip I had a 400+ mile run at night in the low 20's. I was so cold that I had to get a hotel just so I could sit in a hot shower for what seemed like hours. I thought I was going to chip my teeth they were chattering so bad. :shocked:

The reason I was so cold is I had some heated gear I got from a friend to try to see if I wanted to buy it. Needless to say it didn't work and when I got home I ordered Gerbings. :doorag:

Gear is the key to cold weather riding. :doorag:

NancysToy
12-03-2008, 08:38 AM
I was so cold that I had to get a hotel just so I could sit in a hot shower for what seemed like hours. I thought I was going to chip my teeth they were chattering so bad. :shocked:
Been there, done that! You don't think you will ever stop shaking. The hands hurt like the devil as the feeling comes back, too.

Gear is the key to cold weather riding. :doorag:
:2thumbs: :agree:
-Scotty

Roaddog2
12-03-2008, 08:49 AM
It all depends on your gear. I did a Ironbutt from San Diego to East TN one time and on that trip I had a 400+ mile run at night in the low 20's. I was so cold that I had to get a hotel just so I could sit in a hot shower for what seemed like hours. I thought I was going to chip my teeth they were chattering so bad. :shocked:

The reason I was so cold is I had some heated gear I got from a friend to try to see if I wanted to buy it. Needless to say it didn't work and when I got home I ordered Gerbings. :doorag:

Gear is the key to cold weather riding. :doorag::agree::thumbup:

frleo
12-03-2008, 08:53 AM
The cold doesn't stop my rYding. I've taken local trips (from our farm to town and back - 22 miles -) in temps in the 20's. I layer under FIRSTGEAR Thermo Suit with goretex insulated boots and leather thermo gloves. I haven't needed electric aided gear.

It is snow, ice and salt that keep the spYder in the barn.:spyder:

---leo---

tnfleming
12-03-2008, 09:08 AM
i wear tourmaster heated clothes. windshield. face covering hat thingy. perfect except need fairings to block leg wind, not available.

ataDude
12-03-2008, 10:55 AM
...Anyone with CHAD yet??

Mine has shipped but has not arrived yet.

frleo
12-03-2008, 11:16 AM
>>fairings to block leg wind, not available.<<

Check out F1's "shutters." I don't have them, but am told they work.

b2k
12-03-2008, 12:11 PM
so far 17deg for about 22 miles to work ,have drove colder but the temperture has not got there yet.It is all about deciation:doorag:

FANG
12-03-2008, 12:34 PM
37 degrees in Pensacola, FL Layered X 4 and jeans - legs froze but the ryde was great. Am planning leather chaps and a leather jacket soon. :clap:

sabunim5
12-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Too cold is when you can not function at your full potential (physically and mentaly). Remember that your judgement is affected by being too hot or too cold and this usually happens before you suffer serious physical symptoms. Just being distracted by being cold or hot distracts you from the task at hand; piloting a vehicle with no protection other than the gear you are wearing. Dress appropriatley and Ryde Safe:thumbup:
sabunim5:spyder:

GI Jane
12-03-2008, 01:01 PM
I've ridden in 29 degrees which is cold for this southern blood. Had the Thermosuit on. Didn't get cold at all (thanks Deb). It's all in the being prepared for the cold.

mike3069
12-03-2008, 01:37 PM

Back in '76 I rode my TX500 Yamaha from Sun Valley, Idaho to Salt Lake City after Thanksgiving. The temp was in the low 20's and I remember thinking I had finally proven myself to be insane!

Nowadays, I draw the line at about 35 degrees if the sun is out. 40 if its overcast to allow more room for safety afa water freezing on the corners.

NancysToy
12-03-2008, 01:45 PM
It is snow, ice and salt that keep the spYder in the barn.
A big amen to that one, Father!
-Scotty

jnt
12-03-2008, 02:33 PM
When I was still commuting (20+ miles each way) I would ride to work at 20F, so long as the main roads were clear. Got caught in snow showers on the way home a couple times. Gear: Aerostich, Polartec 200 sweater, good winter gloves, Heated grips, sometimes heated seat. Got Gerbings a few years back - gloves and jacket liner - work great!! New Schuberth fogs up at 10F, so that's pretty much the limit.

sleepman
12-03-2008, 02:43 PM
39 is the coldest we've gotten in my area of Florida so far this year. I use a set of Arctiva snowmobile bibs and an Arctiva jacket when it's that cold. 30 mile ride to work and combined with my full face helmet and Alpine Stars gloves I don't feel the cold at all. :2thumbs:

Director
12-03-2008, 03:05 PM
A big amen to that one, Father!
-Scotty

:agree: Can I have another Amen?

Bruce

tatt2r
12-03-2008, 06:51 PM
I believe 14 was coldest with a windchill of about 5 bundle up not bad new England rider so far 10 months and still riding

GeminiJane
12-03-2008, 06:54 PM
...Twenties have even been no problem, but no exposed skin. With the right gear riding in the cold can be more enjoyable than on a 100 degree day.

I agree - with heated gear, if you're sealed up, doesn't matter. I've ridden on 17 degree days - dry roads - and felt just fine. Only problem is if I stop for a traffic light, etc., either had to try not to breathe or had to open the visor to keep from fogging up and then frosting up.

caser
12-03-2008, 06:59 PM
I live in the San Diego area. You all sound like crazy sons a bitches to me.

GeminiJane
12-03-2008, 07:01 PM
37 degrees in Pensacola, FL Layered X 4 and jeans - legs froze but the ryde was great. Am planning leather chaps and a leather jacket soon. :clap:
Just my opinion, but none of my leather gear, even layered, is as warm as textile jackets with liners - and actually a lot of times the liners are needed as I used heated jacket liner and gloves. I can only wear my leathers for short time in Spring and Fall comfortably. In order to get leathers that fit well, can't be too big and then they don't layer well with other stuff and you feel constricted. If my body core is warm, legs stay warm longer so I can get away with leather pants with a fleece underlayer. Once it gets below about 45 or so, though, I have to switch to lined textile overpants to stay comfortable.

Should have typed: "lot of times the liners are not needed"

hondaman
12-03-2008, 07:46 PM
I like to see we have some tough riders here!For the cold I bought a coldgear coldwave 2 piece suit.and thinsulate 100gram gloves my hands ill sweat on the coldest of days.I am impressed with coldgear they are not cheap but keeps me warm,they have liners to remove when it gets warm.:thumbup:

Zerocool
12-03-2008, 08:11 PM
its getting cold here,what is the coldest some of you have gone for a ride?At least 20 miles+.not a ride to get the mail. im at 27 now

When my eyes freeze shut while riding, I'll put the Spyder away ;)

arachnomania
12-03-2008, 08:12 PM
I don't get the priviledge of driving on snow near enough living in Oklahoma, every time it snows at all I'm out having fun... in a car. Have tried on bicycles, dirt bikes and quads... and even though the manual says not to I'm sure I'll be out on the Spyder just to see what it will do and how much the rev limiter kicks in... can't help it... should have been a drifter.

nickcaro
12-03-2008, 08:13 PM
15 degrees, 5:30 am, 76 mile commute, 60 of those miles on highway with average speed between 70 - ? ...

stock windshield
Hot Chillys thermals
Gerbings heated liner and gloves
Olympia Phantom one piece with one piece thermal liner.
BRP SnowMobile boots

all was good except for the tips of my fingers on the highway. The gloves started loosing that battle.

NancysToy
12-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Just my opinion, but none of my leather gear, even layered, is as warm as textile jackets with liners - and actually a lot of times the liners are needed as I used heated jacket liner and gloves. I can only wear my leathers for short time in Spring and Fall comfortably. In order to get leathers that fit well, can't be too big and then they don't layer well with other stuff and you feel constricted. If my body core is warm, legs stay warm longer so I can get away with leather pants with a fleece underlayer. Once it gets below about 45 or so, though, I have to switch to lined textile overpants to stay comfortable.

Should have typed: "lot of times the liners are not needed"
I agree 100%! I wore nothing but leathers for over 45 years, then I discovered the textiles. As many or few layers as necessary, tighter collars and cuffs when needed, the overpants zip on over clothes, instead of needing to be worn all day, there are lots of handy pockets, and they are waterproof for the most part. If you need additional warmth, you can add longjohns, another later of fleece, or heated gear. Very versatile! Worst problem is the hands. Heated gloves or grips, heavy gloves, silk liner gloves, and frequent stops to hold on to that cup of coffee or hot chocolate seem to work best.
-Scotty

LDFIREWORKS
12-03-2008, 09:19 PM
YOU LIVE IN THE WRONG PLACE THE COLDEST WE HERE IN FLA IS 71 DEGREES ANYTHING BELOW THAT WE PARK OUR BIKES AND GO TO THE BEACH:2thumbs:

Spydr in KS
12-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Only problem is if I stop for a traffic light, etc., either had to try not to breathe or had to open the visor to keep from fogging up and then frosting up.

Expensive but the snowmobile helmet have the fogging problem solved. The helmet has a built-in mask that seals to your face and directs your breath outside. One way valves allow you to breath warmer air from inside the helmet and then close when you exhale. See link below to BRP BVS2

http://www.brp.com/BRPINTERNATIONAL/Static/Neutral/Img/Product/SkiDoo_PAC_2008/445837_07_FT_md.jpg

http://www.brp.com/en-US/Products/SkiDoo/RidingGear/Product.htm?ProductID=445837&category=HelmetAccessoryBV2S

FANG
12-03-2008, 10:17 PM
I agree 100%! I wore nothing but leathers for over 45 years, then I discovered the textiles. As many or few layers as necessary, tighter collars and cuffs when needed, the overpants zip on over clothes, instead of needing to be worn all day, there are lots of handy pockets, and they are waterproof for the most part. If you need additional warmth, you can add longjohns, another later of fleece, or heated gear. Very versatile! Worst problem is the hands. Heated gloves or grips, heavy gloves, silk liner gloves, and frequent stops to hold on to that cup of coffee or hot chocolate seem to work best.
-Scotty

Jane and Scotty thanks for the advice. I have not made any purchases yet and am just exploring possible purchaces. currently using under armour coldgear, long sleeve shirt, a under armour microfleece jacket and when it get down below 45 I have a bomber style textile jacket. As long as I wear my knock around denim jeans I have been warm down to 37 degrees. When my legs got cold I had a pair of my "dress" denims and they just don't trap the air as well as my knock arounds. I have a pair of motorcycle glove I bought in Korea years ago and they have down and fleece lined, very warm so far. I agree frequent stop for coffee help. Doing mostly solo riding now as my better half isn't up for winter ryding. Loving the :spyder: no matter what the weather. :clap::yes:

bone crusher
12-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Okay, if I have to wear a snowmobile helmet, it's definitely too cold! The Spyder might look like a snowmobile, but it's supposed to ride on dry pavement!

As far as textiles go...I love my Cordura coat...darn thing is much warmer than leather...actually, my leather coat is my mild weather coat...the Cordura is beyond warm...I was riding on a blustery 45 degree day with about 40 mph winds and felt no cold at all...my hands did freeze though.

There are some inexpensive Cordura coats/pants on ebay...that's where I bought mine...they work incredibly well!

tatt2r
12-03-2008, 10:22 PM
I live in the San Diego area. You all sound like crazy sons a bitches to me.

So... What r u trying to say?

frleo
12-03-2008, 10:38 PM
i wear tourmaster heated clothes. windshield. face covering hat thingy. perfect except need fairings to block leg wind, not available.

Look here and scroll down to see shutters:

http://www.f1windshields.com/

---leo---

tnfleming
12-03-2008, 10:49 PM
many thanks for info on shutters! much appreciated!

spyderbitten
12-04-2008, 09:15 AM
16F this am in Mid-Missouri. Brrrrr. Had snow, rain, sleet on the way home from work yesterday. Today will be better, no precipitation expected and high of 30F. :2thumbs:

Trap
12-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Have ridden in the thirties quite a bit, but for long hours in the saddle nothing beats my heated gear from Gerbings. Socks, gloves, pants and jackets with adjustable thermostats for diffrent zones of gear. Twenties have even been no problem, but no exposed skin. With the right gear riding in the cold can be more enjoyable than on a 100 degree day.
Done 10 degrees with Gerbing with no snow on the rode, ridden a couple of times over an hour, just a little frisky. :doorag:

caser
12-04-2008, 07:14 PM
So... What r u trying to say?

If your riding in freezing weather your a crazy sob.

frleo
12-04-2008, 08:49 PM
If your riding in freezing weather your a crazy sob.

Color me crazy. :clap:
However, I'd appreciate no derogatory name calling.

---leo---

dltang
12-04-2008, 10:27 PM

---leo---

Crazy husband & wife team here as well. Been riding done in the 20's and then figure in 70+ mph on the hwy and wind chill, it can be nippy, but still fun as heck.

NancysToy
12-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Nuttier than a squirrel's nest here, as well. Only the snow, ice, and salt is keeping me off the road now. Rode every month two years ago and the year before that. Last year I missed one, although two were real close to washing out. I figure if I am crazy, I am in good company.
-Scotty

Roadkill
12-04-2008, 10:58 PM
+Here's another twist to the "I didn't see you" standard.

I weathered yesterday morning's 21*F temperatures for the ~125-mile ride without difficulty.

As I was removing my riding gear in my office, though, one of the employees walks in and says he hit my bike. I thought he was yankin' my chain, and said, "You're kidding, right?" while I removed myself from my leather snowbibs, but he then detailed how he backed into it...

There's an oriental quad in the bed of this guy's pickup, and he'd simply pulled forward into an empty spot and then backed straight into my (filled) spot. His visible view and rearview mirror were both useless because they were blocked by his ATV, so he stated he used his sideview mirrors. Crunch.

The fender didn't reach a contact point on the tire, and things aren't quite square, but it rode right for the 2-1/2 hour ride home, so I think I'll ride on until it's fixed...

=====

In a recent reply to an acquaintance who knows my riding habits and who thought maybe I picked up RAKNID just for winter riding, I wrote:

"You know me too well, as that was a major reason in my decision. I simply didn't realize that the computerized nannies would restrict slip-condition riding. (None of the many reviews I read mentioned winter riding. Silly me...)

In the meantime, I'm having a ball. This is a vehicle that leaves a grin from the moment you sit on it, until... Well, actually it doesn't stop leaving a grin even after it's parked, and makes you grin before you climb aboard, so throw the first comment out the window.

It's a 24/7 grin bike."

Would you agree with my sentiment?

Ride on.
Roadkill

Star Cruiser
12-04-2008, 11:32 PM
I usually ride until the temp is single digits. 10°C is about it to be comfortable, but still chilly. I've been caught out there at 4°C a few times and braved the ride home...but heck - I have a heater in the car :2thumbs:

Calif-spyder
12-05-2008, 11:21 AM
found my limit last night on the way home from work. 44* wearing shorts.
kinda cold for this Calif Boy
Mark

zzneonzz
12-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Yesterday's ride home from the dealer was to cold for me. It was about 33 with windchill of 25 glad i only had about 4 miles to go in that temp.

caser
12-05-2008, 02:31 PM

---leo---

Sorry. Did'nt mean to offend anyone.

Director
12-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Nuttier than a squirrel's nest here, as well. Only the snow, ice, and salt is keeping me off the road now. Rode every month two years ago and the year before that. Last year I missed one, although two were real close to washing out. I figure if I am crazy, I am in good company.
-Scotty
:agree: You are Scotty, you are (in good company, that is:D)!

GeminiJane
12-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Gosh, if all us non-California/non-Florida riders quit riding when the weather got chilly, we'd only have about a four month riding season. We gotta go with the no snow/no salt/no ice rule or we'll forget how to ride!

Roaddog2
12-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Gosh, if all us non-California/non-Florida riders quit riding when the weather got chilly, we'd only have about a four month riding season. We gotta go with the no snow/no salt/no ice rule or we'll forget how to ride!
:agree::thumbup:

Roaddog2
12-05-2008, 07:47 PM
found my limit last night on the way home from work. 44* wearing shorts.
kinda cold for this Calif Boy
MarkThat is just not right :thumbup:

Smylinacha
12-05-2008, 08:21 PM
That is just not right :thumbup:

I think you need to wear some nice bermuda shorts and a tank top and ride w/ flip flops.

Spydr in KS
12-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Tourmaster heated jacket and gloves make for a toasty ride at 32 F. Wasn't even a challenge, had to dial down to low. Next stop single digits!:yikes:

tatt2r
12-05-2008, 08:58 PM

---leo---

i've been called worse by better...:coffee:

Aussie spyder
12-06-2008, 05:35 AM
Has any one tread heated hand grips?I need powerpoint for my gerbing jacket.Do you take the power of the battery or use a switch and relay.

greetings Henk

NancysToy
12-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Has any one tread heated hand grips?I need powerpoint for my gerbing jacket.Do you take the power of the battery or use a switch and relay.

If you search old posts. you will find heated grips have been used. Still have to make a power connection, and add a controller. We went with the Gerbing. It was simplest. Most folks here attached their Gerbing battery harness directly to the battery, but I had previously installed an auxiliary power pus under the hood, so went to the feed for that, and brought the connector out under the dash, instead of under the seat, like most have done.
-Scotty

ataDude
12-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Here's what I did:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=45212&postcount=53

Has any one tread heated hand grips?

greetings Henk

hondaman
12-06-2008, 05:31 PM
rode to work today and was 20f not a bad ride.but it had to snow at work.was a slick ride home!Not fun.Looked like a ski-doo on the road today.

NancysToy
12-06-2008, 07:39 PM
rode to work today and was 20f not a bad ride.but it had to snow at work.was a slick ride home!Not fun.Looked like a ski-doo on the road today.
It's a slow trip, with the traction control, but it sure beats road rash!
-Scotty

Donzo
12-06-2008, 08:52 PM
I have not found my lowest temp yet. Today was a 200 mile ride, most was 40-55 , but we hit a fog bank that dropped the temp ALOT - you could see your breath (prob. dropped to low 30s) - still no problem with what I was wearing. I have Cortech stuff and don't feel the cold at all at these temps. I plan on rideing all year if the roads are safe - biggest prob. here would be black ice in some of the canyons - still feel alot safer on my spyder than my motorcycle - esp. in these conditions.

Ride on!

Questions
04-25-2011, 01:34 PM
How about delivering a sperm sample to the doctors at minus 6 degrees downtown Louisville. Throttle cable was frozen when I got out of office.
20 mile round trip. I think I was crazy.

Bootie
04-25-2011, 01:48 PM
I needed to take my Spyder to the Dealer for some work last year. Temp was in the 20's. I thought the day looked pretty good so I decided to take the back roads for the 150mi one way trip. Well I got to the lowlands of Western PA and the temp dropped to 0 deg and there was frost all over the trees. I had a heated vest and the heated grips but, at 0 deg they didn't help much. When I got to the Dealer I was shivering and shaking and could not stop. The salesman suggested that I needed a good winter coat, one that they use for snowmobiling and he sold it to me right then and there for about $220. The ride home was much better. I still wear that coat, to this day, if the temp gets below 40 and I will probably be wearing it to Spyderfest.

boborgera
04-25-2011, 02:03 PM
How about delivering a sperm sample to the doctors at minus 6 degrees downtown Louisville. Throttle cable was frozen when I got out of office.
20 mile round trip. I think I was crazy.

:congrats: On your first Post, And Na your not crazy people in cages will think you are ' But that's half the fun of riding though the winter:D

ARtraveler
04-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Minnesota--1966--first bike--January---(10 below zero). Probably would not do that now. Lowest so far on Spyder--20 degrees above zero. Did not go out when colder--because there was ice and snow on the road--I wont ride on that if I can avoid it. I am guessing there are some real brave ones out there that can beat this easy.

Eraser
04-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Minnesota--1966--first bike--January---(10 below zero). Probably would not do that now. Lowest so far on Spyder--20 degrees above zero. Did not go out when colder--because there was ice and snow on the road--I wont ride on that if I can avoid it. I am guessing there are some real brave ones out there that can beat this easy.
Brave,no....just a case of cabin fever! I went out for a 60 mile return this "Spring" at 4 below zero F. The Bike performed well and all my gear was heated,no problems.:thumbup:

spydrluvr
04-25-2011, 03:03 PM

rode my spyder home from the dealer starting at 25 degrees and snow...72 miles later....18 degrees :gaah: