PDA

View Full Version : Stranded on way to Spyderfest - help

NoLmtz
05-01-2015, 07:39 AM
We are in Clarksville, AR and we went to start my father in laws 2014 RT and it shows DESS ERROR and the keys lights up in Orange on the bottom. This prevents us from starting. Fixes???

Bob Denman
05-01-2015, 07:40 AM
The DESS error is normally a "Call the Dealer" sort of issue... :shocked:
It's the anti-theft system of the bike...

MEP
05-01-2015, 08:32 AM
I've read on this forum that some folks have had temporary success walking away from the bike with the key in hand for awhile, and then trying again. I've also read about turning the key on and off three times and then giving it another shot. There have been issues with some of the ignition switches, so even if you manage to get it started somehow I would have it checked as soon as possible thereafter. Good luck.

Centurion
05-01-2015, 09:45 AM
Agree with post above. Turn the Spyder off, remove the key from ignition and walk away from Spyder for in order to allow the system to reset. I would also try a second key if you have one.

Chupaca
05-01-2015, 10:00 AM
Problem is the 2014's had ignition switch issues that require replacing the switch. Some were intermitten (hope the above works for you) but some just stopped working and needed replacing. If you get her going go to a dealer and have it replaced (their dime). Good luck..:thumbup:

MRH
05-01-2015, 10:09 AM
To add to the conversation, you need something like seven minutes away to completely restart the system. I would do ten to be sure you are getting a true restart, and keep the keys 30 feet away. That way you can be sure you are getting a complete re-set.

IndySpyder
05-01-2015, 10:18 AM
cycle the key as stated wait 7-10 min. this is obviously a temporary fix and it might come on in a mile or never again.

MRH
05-01-2015, 10:42 AM
If it does come on again, you'll want to check the actual codes. This is how it works on and RT, which I think is the same on an ST (or not?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ORFxBtyJU4

Basically, you hold down the "mode" and "set" buttons on your handlebars and then hold down the turn signal to bring them up. They may give you some additional info. There is an app for checking those, and you can search this site and Google for more info.

NoLmtz
05-01-2015, 10:47 AM

Still holding faith that we'll get it fixed it Fort Smith and catch Spyderfest later tonight!!!

Bob Denman
05-01-2015, 10:52 AM
Good Luck... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106649&stc=1

ARtraveler
05-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Sorry to hear about the DESS glitch. Looks like you now have the situation well in hand. Keep us posted.

NoLmtz
05-01-2015, 02:17 PM
No joy - heading back to Dallas in the back of a box truck!!

Spyderfest you are so elusive!!! 2016 bound!!!

ARtraveler
05-01-2015, 02:19 PM
No joy - heading back to Dallas in the back of a box truck!!

Spyderfest you are so elusive!!! 2016 bound!!!

Very, very sorry to hear that. :(:(

Ex Winger
05-01-2015, 04:15 PM
That sucks.Hope you get it fixed soon:banghead:

vided
05-01-2015, 04:47 PM
That sucks.Hope you get it fixed soon:banghead:

:agree: Big time. What was the issue :banghead::banghead::gaah::gaah:

NoLmtz
05-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Just got back to Dallas. It was a long trip to Spyderfest without ever seeing spyderfest!!
The issue is a failed antenna that authorizes the key - if that fails your machine is DOA! No warning or indication - just failed!!
No worries - we'll be back next year!!

MRH
05-01-2015, 10:11 PM
Sorry you missed it.

I do have to wonder if the whole chipped key thing really helps us - would we have theft issues without it? I doubt it.

MikeinGA
05-02-2015, 11:52 AM
We are in Clarksville, AR and we went to start my father in laws 2014 RT and it shows DESS ERROR and the keys lights up in Orange on the bottom. This prevents us from starting. Fixes???

To bad, I have seen this reported before. BRP knows of this problem, I guess they fix them as they fail. That's why I have trailer to put it on. I have read to many threads on here of all kinds of thing like this happening. I have missed a lot of trips and tons of ridding time because of lack of parts and/or service. I have found the older my 2011 Spyder gets the more problems I have and longer it takes to get parts.

Mike

LEEB
05-02-2015, 06:33 PM
We just returned from a 175 mile ride. About half way we stopped for about an hour for a CMA event we were attending. When we were ready to leave the Spyder (2014 RTS) would not start and I got the orange/black 'key' at the bottom of the screen. Tried turning the key about a half dozen times and it finally started. Then on the return ride we stopped for gas. After fueling up I tried to start the Spyder and not only got the 'key' symbol, but also got the DESS Error message. After several attempts I stepped away from the machine for a couple of minutes and tried it again. This time the Spyder started. We rode the rest of the trip home without shutting the engine off. I parked it in the garage and tried to start it several times and had no problems at all. The only thing I now notice is that after I turn off the key the lights stay on for maybe 10 seconds, as they always have, but when they shut off there is a loud 'clunk' sound in the right front of the dash. I tried it several times and got the same loud 'clunk' every time. This has never happened before.