PDA

View Full Version : FOX SHOCK kit: Part Number: 219400409

NSPYTE
04-30-2015, 01:46 PM
I'm about to install the Fox shocks to my 2013 ST-limited. In the instructions it basically tells you to install the shocks and then for the adjustment it says something to the affect of "refer to the operators manual". Well i know that theres nothing in my manual. Looking at the operators manual for 2013 Spyder RS, it lists that the distance between the shock bolts with rider(s) and cargo on the bike should be 16 7/8 inches. So I thought okay..this might be it. But then I remembered that the 2014 Spyder ST-S bikes supposedly CAME with the fox shocks but the 2014 ST operators manual says NOTHING about them. So I looked in the 2014 RS operators manual and for some reason, for 2014 the distance between the bolts of the shock with rider(s) and cargo dropped to 16 1/2 inches....argh. Should i go with the 2013 numbers? the 2014 numbers? Anyone have a 2014 Spyder ST-S with the fox shocks? Did you do any adjusting?

I guess I will install the shocks and then measure...this overthinking may be for nought. BTW, have a Baja Ron sway bar on the way too. Thanks

Chupaca
04-30-2015, 03:11 PM
You will probably be re-adjusting them anyway to suit your ryde. Set them on the short side and work from there...:thumbup:

quadfather
04-30-2015, 04:46 PM
I did the fox shocks and upgraded sway bar on my 2013 st-s. I measured the distance with the old shocks before I took it apart , and then put the fox's on and it was an 1/8 longer out of the box. so I just left it. seems fine . after about a 150 miles they now measure approx. 16.5'' center to center with no-one on the bike. I haven't checked the length with a rider, since they ride nice. no real big difference when I'm alone , but I really noticed it when 2 up. no more body roll . hope this helps.

NSPYTE
05-04-2015, 01:49 PM
Thanks Quadfather! Put on the shocks and baja ron swaybar. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I can feel riding in the front and my wife on the back. What was surprising was that the sway bar that came with the fox shock kit was real close in size to the Baja Ron unit...but for some reason "felt" heavier. I did not weight it or take calipers to them to measure. A definate improvement. I will admit that even though the instructions in the "kit" from can am says 1.5 hours..it took me closer to 4. Hardest part was getting the Spyder high enough to remove the old bar. Shocks I thought might be a bit more since i have the fog lights...but there was enough room to get in there. Have to thank my wife and my son for the extra help.

ingramwc
05-22-2015, 07:38 AM
Pardon me if I ask any dumb questions, I am a newb on the Spyder, I've had it a week today. I have seen where folks say their Spyders are unstable above 50 mph and wiggle in turns.
Is this all the time or only when riding 2 up? I was disappointed to notice that my brand new leftover 2013 ST-S did not have the FOX Podium shocks. I am still getting acquainted with my Spyder so I'm not real sure if what I'm feeling sometimes is me or a short coming of the machine. I haven't experienced the instability above 50. I had some wiggling but it was me being tense, once I relaxed all was good, and very stable on the Interstate. I did notice some spongy feeling entering turns, but again wasn't sure if that was me or the machine, sounds as if it was the machine. Does the BajaRon sway bar fix the turning issue and are the FOX shocks worth the money. I have seen the FOX shock kit and sway bar listed at $410, is that about normal?
Feedback is appreciated...

Y'all ride safe! :f_spider:

NSPYTE
05-22-2015, 01:41 PM
The Fox shocks for ST-S came out in 2014...pretty sure on that, 2013s were the first year of the ST series did not come with them. As for the handling of the bike, the spongy-ness is more noticed 2 up than solo. Fortunately or unfortunately when i took my 3 wheel endorsement class I took it on a supplied RS-S that had the fox shocks. It handled great! So when I got my ST...it just didnt seem to have the flatness in the handling. My wife also felt the same. I thought it was all shock related until i read about the Baja Ron sway bar. The addition of the sway bar probably is more to the handling than the shocks. It its a TOTALLY different bike now with the addition of the swaybar, shocks, and upping the tire psi per Rons instructions. Solo, yeah i can be more aggressive diving into and exiting. Two up, when you ride in back is where you really "feel" the change in the turns. Straightline its hard to tell...the only twitchyness i had was me and my grip. The more i rode the bike stock, the less twitchy it became but i honestly feel the bike tracks better now going down the road..it feels more planted...but that could be just in my head.

As for the shocks, when I sent an email to Ron about the sway bar and he also recommended the Can Am kit (219400409, shocks and sway bar) just to get the shocks. He sent me a link to ebay where i got the kit for $325 shipped (there is one on ebay now for $354 shipped, search for the part number above)! So i got the Bajaron Sway bar and the can am kit. Just an FYI. When i got the Can Am kit, the sway bar provided "looked" very similar in diameter to the Baja Ron version..just saying. Both are significantly bigger than the stock one. I used the Baja Ron one. Whether you just want to go the the Can Am kit alone is up to you. hardest part of the sway bar install is getting the bike up high enough and removing the plastics to get access. The shocks werent too bad, but if you have the fog lights installed its a little bit more to get around them. I did not remove my fog lights, just undid the electrical connections. Honestly feels like a different machine. WELL worth the investment to me.

ingramwc
05-24-2015, 12:04 PM
The more time I have riding the Spyder, the more I can figure out what I am feeling. Straight line is very solid, slight bends in the road are OK, sharper turns at higher speeds are a bit unsettled at entry to the turns. I also notice on secondary roads with bumps and dips and contour issues the Spyder wants to move around a bit, not a lot but enough to keep me on my toes. So, at a minimum I think it will be best to start with the BajaRon sway bar, shocks, maybe later. Thank you for the feedback.
Ride safe!!!!:thumbup:

5/26/015 - just got a note from BajaRon, my sway bar and hiem links are on the way!!!

Framer
05-28-2015, 10:16 PM
The more time I have riding the Spyder, the more I can figure out what I am feeling. Straight line is very solid, slight bends in the road are OK, sharper turns at higher speeds are a bit unsettled at entry to the turns. I also notice on secondary roads with bumps and dips and contour issues the Spyder wants to move around a bit, not a lot but enough to keep me on my toes. So, at a minimum I think it will be best to start with the BajaRon sway bar, shocks, maybe later. Thank you for the feedback.
Ride safe!!!!:thumbup:

5/26/015 - just got a note from BajaRon, my sway bar and hiem links are on the way!!!

Do the bajaron bar and the hein links. I just installed it on my wives ST Limited and she loves it. She said it used to feel floaty over 50 mph and the corners, well let me say she was sloooow. Her cornering is much improved and I caught her doing 85 down the highway( 65mph used to scare her). So do the bar you won't regret it.

ingramwc
05-28-2015, 10:33 PM
My sway bar kit and links arrived today, now to get them installed, hopefully early next week. I never experienced the "floating feeling" at higher speeds. Mine has been very solid feeling on the Interstate. Twisting roads have been the only place where I have had an unsettled feeling on turn entry. I look forward to getting this fixed. Now if I can get my heat issue fixed all will be good with my Spyder.

Update: BajaRon bar and links were installed 6/12/2015. Handling issues are resolved! It is like a different machine, very positive tracking through turns, much more fun to ride!!!

m2motorsport
07-10-2015, 07:29 PM
wow~! i like that!

http://www.m2motorsportinc.com/custom-wheels/wheels-brand/velocity-wheels-sale.html