PDA

View Full Version : BUT HOW DOES IT HANDLE IN CORNERS?

drifter
12-01-2008, 06:25 PM
How does the spyder handle in corners is the number one question I get asked. I’m wondering what you all say when asked this. I usually say it feels like a little sports car, it’s so much fun that leaning into corners doesn’t matter. Half seem to think that’s cool, the other half seem totally turned off.

docdoru
12-01-2008, 06:54 PM
That's a good question for BRP: what is the Spyder lateral acceleration measured in "g”? :read:
For example, the concept VW GX3 lateral acceleration is 1.25g — more than virtually any current supercar. http://ecomodder.com/blog/volkswagen-gx3-reverse-trike-concept-vehicle/

Smylinacha
12-01-2008, 07:21 PM
When people ask me that I tell ask them, "Ever drive a car around a corner too fast and your butt slides on the seat the opposite way?" Well hang on when you ride a Spyder cuz it's the same thing. Fun Factor!:clap:

bjt
12-01-2008, 08:43 PM
I have used the sports car analogy a few times when asked about how it handles / corners. Sometimes I've said "like an ATV", just depends on my mood I guess. :dontknow:

Spyderman62
12-01-2008, 08:57 PM
LIKE A ROCKETSHIP ON RAILS! :2thumbs:

caymanbob
12-01-2008, 09:43 PM
I installed the EVO sway bar WOW , now you can say WHAT CORNER!!!

Good day
CaymanBOB:2thumbs:

Star Cruiser
12-02-2008, 01:27 AM
How does the spyder handle in corners is the number one question I get asked. I’m wondering what you all say when asked this. I usually say it feels like a little sports car, it’s so much fun that leaning into corners doesn’t matter. Half seem to think that’s cool, the other half seem totally turned off.

I tell most people tha it handles like a Porsche in the corners only a little better. I tell you it ROCKS. nojoke

bone crusher
12-02-2008, 02:14 AM
Come on guys...

When you corner with your Spyder, it sputters, jerks, and then the engine cuts out...

My Spyder only goes in a straight line...

Okay...maybe not! I like to take turns at a decently fast clip and I find that leaning is a MUST to allow the bike to do so...try sitting upright and see how you feel taking a turn at a pretty fast speed...leaning forward and into the turn helps me control the bike much better and is more comfortable...something about that centripetal force!

Spydyr
12-02-2008, 09:00 AM
VSS usually takes over and applies the brakes as I'm going into the turn and shuts down the ignition as I try to accelerate out of the turn. I think it's a little too senstitive because I know the Spyder has more to give, although I have had it on two wheels a few times on hairpin turns. A lot of people ask me how it is cruising on the highway and mine is so stable even in cross winds I tell them it almost drives itself.

Greg H.
12-02-2008, 09:38 AM
.try sitting upright and see how you feel taking a turn at a pretty fast speed...leaning forward and into the turn helps me control the bike much better and is more comfortable...something about that centripetal force!

Common sense dictates that you must lean into the turn. It's the same as if you were riding a snowmobile, quad, or jet ski. I have never been on any of those, personally. But, it's common sense.

The faster you are going, the more you lean. You transfer your weight. Or, the centrifical force will throw you off.

Sure! If you're only going 5mph or so, sitting straight up is doable. Common sense, folks! :)

retread
12-02-2008, 09:45 AM
"How does it handle in curves?" ..."Like a marble down a garden hose."

Director
12-02-2008, 02:32 PM
"How does it handle in curves?" ..."Like a marble down a garden hose."

Great quote! I'll have to remember that one. :2thumbs:

Bimjo
12-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Being a lazy sort I'd have to just reply- "quickly"

sabunim5
12-02-2008, 05:58 PM
I ususally use the quad or snowmobile analogy.

SpyderSpy
12-03-2008, 07:56 AM
All the hoopla like the Spyder handles like a Porche is total NONSENSE!!! My 56 Chevy handles better with flat tires. When & if there is a Mod for the front end to lean into turns then were talking. Anybody here of this mod yet?

aubierules
12-03-2008, 08:24 AM
LIKE A ROCKETSHIP ON RAILS! :2thumbs:

i like that one! i usually say that it feels like im on rails..ie i can take it real fast and as long as i lean correctly it feels like its glued to the road...i used to have a sidecar rig and man i was terrified to go around a right hand corner fast:yikes:

ataDude
12-03-2008, 11:00 AM
All the hoopla like the Spyder handles like a Porche is total NONSENSE!!! My 56 Chevy handles better with flat tires. When & if there is a Mod for the front end to lean into turns then were talking. Anybody here of this mod yet?

My guess is that you need a little more experience on it.

Lamonster
12-03-2008, 11:08 AM

I want to take a ride in that 56 :D:thumbup:
http://media.putfile.com/Chasing-Lamont

Director
12-03-2008, 03:11 PM
I want to take a ride in that 56 :D:thumbup:
http://media.putfile.com/Chasing-Lamont

Lamont, you might recall I followed you out to your home on my Kawasaki Concours during the Gatlinburg event. I would also like to see the '56 Chevy (even with fully inflated tires) that could keep up to you in the curves! I think it would need some pretty special engineering and a formula one driver at the wheel! :clap:

Bruce

Lamonster
12-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Lamont, you might recall I followed you out to your home on my Kawasaki Concours during the Gatlinburg event. I would also like to see the '56 Chevy (even with fully inflated tires) that could keep up to you in the curves! I think it would need some pretty special engineering and a formula one driver at the wheel! :clap:

Bruce

Makes me wonder if he's one of those guys who has no power steering and doesn't know it. :dontknow:

NancysToy
12-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Makes me wonder if he's one of those guys who has no power steering and doesn't know it. :dontknow:
That's a possibility, or he hasn't put more air in his tires, or he hasn't jacked up the spring preload a bit to match his weight and driving style, or maybe he just hasn't learned the trick of shifting his weight. Heck, even my rookie wife can corner this thing well enough to stay with my BMW R1100RT in the turns, and that thing is no slouch.
-Scotty

arachnomania
12-03-2008, 08:44 PM
My guess is he's never ridden a four wheeler hard off road... the similarity is uncanny to the Spyder but with the Can Am we have the advantage of all the electronics keeping us in control. Gaurantee ya I've never taken a certain off ramp near my house at near 70 on my Goldwing... did on the Spyder... no issues.

LDFIREWORKS
12-03-2008, 09:29 PM
I DRIVE A PORSCHE 911 AND IT HANDLES EXACTLY LIKE THAT IF YOU CLOSE YOU EYES YOU CANT TELL IF YOU ARE IN MY 911 OR ON THE SPYDER THATS HOW GOOD:yes::yes::thumbup:

spyderme
12-04-2008, 05:56 AM

I think i'd take your Spyder back to the dealer, because it sounds like they forgot to put the wheels on it. Certainly doesn't sound like the same Can Am Spyder i'm riding.

dltang
12-04-2008, 09:02 AM

If you wanted a machine that leans, why did you buy a spyder? This is a serious question, I am not being facetious. It amazing me how many folks I have heard that bought a spyder and then complain because it doesn't act like something else. That would be like me complaining that it doesn't handle well in the snow or off road. I knew that going in, if I wanted to drive in the snow (no smart aleck remarks everyone) I would have a snowmobile. If I wanted off road, I would have an ATV. If I wanted it to lean, I would have a motorcycle or Piaggio or something like that. This machine is what it is and I love it. Mods are fun and I am guilty of many, but I am not trying to change the dynamic of the machine itself. Just my humble opinion. Sorry about the rant.

retread
12-04-2008, 09:18 AM
If your Spyder doesn't handle, you're not ryding it right.

Greg H.
12-04-2008, 09:30 AM
If you wanted a machine that leans, why did you buy a spyder? This is a serious question, I am not being facetious. It amazing me how many folks I have heard that bought a spyder and then complain because it doesn't act like something else. That would be like me complaining that it doesn't handle well in the snow or off road. I knew that going in, if I wanted to drive in the snow (no smart aleck remarks everyone) I would have a snowmobile. If I wanted off road, I would have an ATV. If I wanted it to lean, I would have a motorcycle or Piaggio or something like that. This machine is what it is and I love it. Mods are fun and I am guilty of many, but I am not trying to change the dynamic of the machine itself. Just my humble opinion. Sorry about the rant.

Well said, Deb! :thumbup: You echo my thoughts exactly! :clap:

I've cornered about as hard as I ever will, I suppose. And, I don't think I've lifted a wheel. I'm taking no chances, if I can help it. I'm no boy racer. :)

FANG
12-04-2008, 09:43 AM

:clap: :2thumbs: Very well put Deb. I am amazed at how well the :spyder: handles in all types of weather and road conditions. I hate when I have to get in my cage and drive. :spyder: is :b2b:.

SpyderSpy
12-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Since I do not no how anymore to ride a Spyder or left my wheels off, its starting to sound a little bit more interesting.
So I am now getting my 56 Chevy ready for a trip to Lamonsters for 2 reasons,
First - Ill take Lamonster for a ride in the 56 (hes requested that).
Second - when I get to Lamonsters I will deflate the tires, setup a video camera and let the readers decide if the Spyder can out corner a 56 chevy with flat tires Lamonster Im on my way!!

Lamonster
12-04-2008, 10:28 AM
:2thumbs::doorag::yes::2excited:

aubierules
12-04-2008, 10:59 AM
My guess is he's never ridden a four wheeler hard off road... the similarity is uncanny to the Spyder but with the Can Am we have the advantage of all the electronics keeping us in control. Gaurantee ya I've never taken a certain off ramp near my house at near 70 on my Goldwing... did on the Spyder... no issues.

My 4wheeler is no where near like my spyder.....the spyder is much more stable, more forgiving, and much more enjoyable to ride...i still like my 4wheeler tho:thumbup:

Lamonster
12-04-2008, 12:38 PM
My 4wheeler is no where near like my spyder.....the spyder is much more stable, more forgiving, and much more enjoyable to ride...i still like my 4wheeler tho:thumbup:

Me too :2thumbs:

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=2255 (http://media.putfile.com/Lamonster-mud)

tatt2r
12-04-2008, 04:04 PM
went out yesterday did an "S" shaped on ramp at 70 no problem at all and it is a bad corner in any car i've ever driven i do about 35 in the hummer ...not that it conners very well .... but i used to test drive cars when i worked in garage on same ride .... and spyder still handles better

SpyderByter
12-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Besides the cornering question, I get asked a lot about the MPG. People seems surprised that it doesn't get more than some cars.

I tell them, "If you’re looking for gas mileage get a moped, if you’re looking for fun, get one of these!" :2thumbs:

My two wheeler only gets about 40 MPG, but then again, I like the throttle on both machines. What are y’all getting for gas mileage?

Roadkill
12-04-2008, 10:45 PM
+I describe to people that it feels like an ATV on rails.

Not a sea-doo that leans into its fluid.

Not a ski-doo that leans into the flakes.

A reverse trike that feels like an ATV glued to the road. Spirited riders will learn to adjust their butt-print upon the seat accordingly, with limited ability to lift the inboard wheel.

Ride on.
Roadkill

Way2Fast
12-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Riding a sport bike through curves can be described as poetry in motion.....riding the Spyder through the same turns is best described as a "fight" because your battling the centrifugal forces being exerted on the Spyder and on your body while stretching to reach the bars during a hard turn.

Richard

SLO RYDER
12-05-2008, 01:04 AM
IF you are needing to fight your Spyder in the corners you are not riding it correctly. I compare the Spyder to the sport quad I used to have. If you want to corner fast you need to "hang off" in the direction of the turn just as you would do with a Sport Bike not just lean. Try hanging off and I think the Spyder will surprise you.

Mike

ANDY
12-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Spyderspy. Don't hurt you self or your car just to prove a point. If you hurt your self you won't be able to practice cornering on your spyder.

Andy

:nopic:[/quote]

effgjamis
12-07-2008, 03:53 AM
Since I do not no how anymore to ride a Spyder or left my wheels off, its starting to sound a little bit more interesting.
So I am now getting my 56 Chevy ready for a trip to Lamonsters for 2 reasons,
First - Ill take Lamonster for a ride in the 56 (hes requested that).
Second - when I get to Lamonsters I will deflate the tires, setup a video camera and let the readers decide if the Spyder can out corner a 56 chevy with flat tires Lamonster Im on my way!!

I am awaiting with baited breath of the results of that test.

Would like to know when, I would like to schedule that into my rydes..

Zerocool
12-07-2008, 01:11 PM
IF you are needing to fight your Spyder in the corners you are not riding it correctly. I compare the Spyder to the sport quad I used to have. If you want to corner fast you need to "hang off" in the direction of the turn just as you would do with a Sport Bike not just lean. Try hanging off and I think the Spyder will surprise you.

Mike

:agree:

Today we have snow, but yesterday I went for a ride (30 F), and took an aggressive left turn, from stand still, when the light turned green. I was able to lift the right front tire and slide the read tire; can be done, but it's a foolish way to ride (IMHO).

My point is, under normal riding conditions, the :spyder: corners exceptionally well w/o losing control.

My 2 cents :popcorn:

SpyderSpy
12-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Seriously I do not need to practice Spyder cornering. My 56 does corner pretty good but an experienced Spyder rider no doubt would out corner the 56. But I do agree cornering fast on turns on the Spyder takes some athletic work. If I was used to riding a sport bike there wouldnt be any question....but im not 25 Im 56 and the body does fight the Spyder on the fast turns. Ive actually turned this machine into a touring Bike, 32: windshield ..love it (Marcel), Corbin seats & backrests, NNM 4" risers & Im about to move the shifter, brakes and footpegs more forward. I actually really enjoy the Spyder Im just looking for a little comfort. I also think this forum is tops!!

tatt2r
12-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Seriously I do not need to practice Spyder cornering. My 56 does corner pretty good but an experienced Spyder rider no doubt would out corner the 56. But I do agree cornering fast on turns on the Spyder takes some athletic work. If I was used to riding a sport bike there wouldnt be any question....but im not 25 Im 56 and the body does fight the Spyder on the fast turns. Ive actually turned this machine into a touring Bike, 32: windshield ..love it (Marcel), Corbin seats & backrests, NNM 4" risers & Im about to move the shifter, brakes and footpegs more forward. I actually really enjoy the Spyder Im just looking for a little comfort. I also think this forum is tops!!

treat it like a jetski or snow mobile use your body as a counter wait if you turn right hang body to right ...and so on i've connered at some pretty high speeds and was amazed on how much it hugged the road...and lets not forget how much fun it is ....:D:coffee: