PDA

View Full Version : question for grandparents

cuznjohn
04-27-2015, 12:36 PM
i have never had kids so i will never be a grandparent, but i am having a discussion on facebook with my relatives about what today's kids are calling their grandparents. i am old fashioned and grew up with grandma x's 2 and grandpa x's 2 but today the kids in my family are calling their grandparents norny, mom mom, and nana, to name a few.

i don't need to know what your grand children call you, i just would like to know if you are called by any name other than grandma or grandpa. thanks

SPYD1
04-27-2015, 12:41 PM
I am PaPa or Grandpa chubs...LOL

ARtraveler
04-27-2015, 12:53 PM
The abbreviated versions are used a lot. No disrespect intended and much easier for the little ones to say.

Bob Denman
04-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Since I'm still too young to be sleeping with anybody's grandmother; I'll say that I had a Gramma & Grampa Denman, and a Nanna and Poppa Matzinger

cnl414
04-27-2015, 12:57 PM
PePa @ Nana :rolleyes:

blacklightning
04-27-2015, 01:10 PM
They call me grandpa. The other one (my son-in-laws dad) is called pa pa. I think they do pretty good since I always get their names mixed up. I just catch the one looking in my direction that I want to talk to and say "Hey you".:D

wyliec
04-27-2015, 01:12 PM
I try to avoid all 8 of them. So, I'm not sure what they call me.

Cruzr Joe
04-27-2015, 01:14 PM
I try to avoid all 8 of them. So, I'm not sure what they call me.

How sad that you would even have to say that.

Cruzr Joe

Cruzr Joe
04-27-2015, 01:16 PM
We are proud to be called Pa & MiMi by our three fantastic grandsons that we love very much.

Cruzr Joe

cuznjohn
04-27-2015, 01:18 PM
joe i am sure he was joking, but my family all said it is easier for the kids to learn a shorter name so young that they can call them

Voyager_PWS
04-27-2015, 01:19 PM
My Wife is Mamaw and I am Papaw. We let my ex-wife get the Grandma tag! ;)

bcoulter19
04-27-2015, 01:27 PM
My grandson doesn't talk yet (7 mos.) but he will call me Pops and my wife Grams. we chose them.

Bill C.

P.S. he already knows the name and will start looking for us of someone says Pops or Grams is here. :)

BeRight
04-27-2015, 01:27 PM
I have a life partner who has a grandson. She and I are called grammy and pappy. Even though I am not blood or legally related he and his family treat me like a grandfather.

Probably because I took care of him 5 days a week since he was an infant until he started school. He is eight years old now, and is one of the greatest joys of my life (I have no children of my own) - a true blessing.

We now have him almost every friday evening thru sunday.

The family unit for some has become very diverse from tradition.

DLewis
04-27-2015, 01:50 PM
We are (wife and I) Nana & Papa - My father is Grandpa , mother-in law is Grandma. :yes: And the deal is the same as yours BeRight - Friday thru Sunday we have him. It's funny, because I NEVER remember getting rid of my kids for a three-day weekend EVERY week!! :yikes::yikes:

Bob Denman
04-27-2015, 01:59 PM
I have a life partner who has a grandson. She and I are called grammy and pappy. Even though I am not blood or legally related he and his family treat me like a grandfather.
The family unit for some has become very diverse from tradition.
It doesn't take blood to make a family; it takes love! :2thumbs:

Cruzr Joe
04-27-2015, 03:08 PM
My grandson doesn't talk yet (7 mos.) but he will call me Pops and my wife Grams. we chose them.

Bill C.

P.S. he already knows the name and will start looking for us of someone says Pops or Grams is here. :)

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:, Be aware, they will call you whatever name they make up for you, and you will be thrilled with it.

Cruzr Joe

Gumbeau
04-27-2015, 03:55 PM
i have never had kids so i will never be a grandparent, but i am having a discussion on facebook with my relatives about what today's kids are calling their grandparents. i am old fashioned and grew up with grandma x's 2 and grandpa x's 2 but today the kids in my family are calling their grandparents norny, mom mom, and nana, to name a few.

i don't need to know what your grand children call you, i just would like to know if you are called by any name other than grandma or grandpa. thanks

My Granddaughter cannot pronounce "Grand dad". And that's just fine with me

jwood4242
04-27-2015, 04:31 PM

Yes, my wife and I both are called other than requested names.

vided
04-27-2015, 05:33 PM
I never had kids, but my granddaughter has always called me grandpa and my wife grandma. :yes::yes::yes:

bruiser
04-27-2015, 06:20 PM
Have one. He's fixin' to turn 14. Damn I got old quick. He calls me poppy. My wife, his mother's step mother, is mommom. That is what our daughter called my parents when they were alive.

Chupaca
04-27-2015, 06:43 PM
Once the little guy gets out of the incubator I may find out. :roflblack: he is doing good but may be another month...growing up mine were Nana and Grandpa the others Omi and Opa (German side)...:thumbup:

Michiganspyderman
04-27-2015, 07:41 PM
Gramps and Grandma

kngfsh27
04-27-2015, 08:27 PM
MY daughter calls me "Dad". My grandkids call me by my first name. I think it is pretty cool. I do not feel any disrespect. I just chuckle about it.:roflblack::roflblack:

ursamajor35126
04-27-2015, 08:42 PM
Pops and Mum here.

rcantrell52
04-28-2015, 08:33 AM
Grumpy and Grammy

ottawa-rider
04-28-2015, 09:53 AM
By a twist of fate, both my parents had the same last name.

So the grandparents were called GrandMa & GrandPa at "Village #1" and "Village #2".

Bob Denman
04-28-2015, 10:02 AM
I could make several jokes about this... :shocked:

...but I won't! :thumbup: