PDA

View Full Version : Hopping Fenders During Braking and Uneven Inside Tire Wear

bandwagon
04-26-2015, 11:36 AM
Any ideas as to what is causing my front tires (both sides) are wearing the same. Every other cleat (lack of proper term) is lower than the other completely around the inside only. This is causing the spyder to shake. I have maybe 2000 miles on them and that's being very generous. I've tried laser alignments and has replaced tires on this 2014 more times than I care to. Oh I forgot to mention that the fenders bounce/hop or what ever the violent movement they are doing is most disturbing during braking and not to mention the looks from others driving along side. Before my trip to Florida back in December 2014, BRP instructed Fredericksburg Motor Sports to change the calipers. It worked for a while and now the same ugly problem is back and on top another set of new tires are ruined. There has got to be a solution to all this. I need this fixed for good before my next road trip. Your opinions are welcome and valued. Note: both times the fenders hopping started before the poor tire wear.

:banghead::banghead: Thanks

SpyRyd
04-26-2015, 11:49 AM
Kenny did the dealer change the calipers or the rotors? I had this issue during Spyderquest last year and my dealer replaced both rotors...they were warped causing a shaking when braking. Not sure about the cause of your tire wear other than maybe bad OEM tires, but you mentioned they have been replaced several times so it would be unlikely that every set have been bad. I don't think you have enough miles on your ryde to have worn/bad front end parts but that might be something to check out. I replaced the OEM front tires on my Spyder at ~ 11,000 miles on them because they were cupping. Currently have about 13,000 on my Kumho Solice front tires which are wearing fairly evenly.

Good luck, hope you get resolution soon.

cptjam
04-26-2015, 12:00 PM
Several things to check:
1. are the wheels balanced? We often see lots of weights on the factory rim. Have the dealer swap wheels with a demo bike to confirm or deny as the source.
2. Check wheel for round. Jack up. Put a piece of lumber under the wheel, lower until it is 1/2 inch from the wood. Spin wheel, watching for round.
3. While jacked up, check wheel bearings for any play. None is best.
4. Remove wheel. Remove caliper, remove rotor. Place rotor on glass(mirror, window, table). Looking for flat. No gaps.
If all that does not reveal problem, we will keep trying.
Or, trailer it out to Spyderfest. I bet we can fix it there! Joe

BajaRon
04-26-2015, 03:03 PM
As mentioned, there are several things which can cause this. You say 2,000 miles on the tires but you do not say how many miles on the Spyder.

Worn A-Arm bushings were pretty common on the older Spyders but I've been told that the newer version have improved these bushings quite a bit. Still, It might be worth looking into.

Bad bushings will give the feel of a warped rotor and can cause a pretty violent shudder, shake in the front end under braking. They will also cause uneven tire wear.

It seems that this is the last thing most dealers will consider (if at all).

Chupaca
04-26-2015, 03:33 PM
all of the above. If this is the 2009 listed in your profile worn front end parts is a possibility, if you have used it regularly. Check front fender stays and mounts as well. :thumbup:

bruiser
04-26-2015, 04:03 PM
He said t's a 2014.

Motorcycledave
04-26-2015, 05:14 PM
The condition you are describing is called cupping, this is mostly caused by out of round tire & wheel assembly,
however bad ball joints, tie rod ends and many other factors can come into play... the caster and camber
are not adjustable on the Spyder you can only do a toe adjustment on them, toe can cause inner or outer
scrubbing depending on if it is toed in or toed out... I would have the dealer check it out, or... go to your
local tire dealer with your tire & wheel assembly removed from the spyder and have them checked for runout
( out of round) and balance.....
Ride Safe
Dave

Any ideas as to what is causing my front tires (both sides) are wearing the same. Every other cleat (lack of proper term) is lower than the other completely around the inside only. This is causing the spyder to shake. I have maybe 2000 miles on them and that's being very generous. I've tried laser alignments and has replaced tires on this 2014 more times than I care to. Oh I forgot to mention that the fenders bounce/hop or what ever the violent movement they are doing is most disturbing during braking and not to mention the looks from others driving along side. Before my trip to Florida back in December 2014, BRP instructed Fredericksburg Motor Sports to change the calipers. It worked for a while and now the same ugly problem is back and on top another set of new tires are ruined. There has got to be a solution to all this. I need this fixed for good before my next road trip. Your opinions are welcome and valued. Note: both times the fenders hopping started before the poor tire wear.

:banghead::banghead: Thanks