PDA

View Full Version : How many keys and key chains?

jlg
04-25-2015, 07:58 PM
Folks when you get a new Spyder, how many keys are supposed to come with it? Also, how are you folks caring for your keys since there is no hole to hook up a keychain?

GearHd
04-25-2015, 08:26 PM
Ours came with two keys and key sleeves that have the hole for a keyring. The key snaps into the key sleeve.

Chupaca
04-25-2015, 08:32 PM
ours came with two with sheaths that have rings on them. There are several clip ons being made if you want that. There is a hole in the key but covered up and delicate to find. :thumbup:

jlg
04-25-2015, 08:34 PM
Thanks. I'll have to call the dealer Monday. I only got one key and no sleeves or anything like that. Just a single bare key.

ThreeWheels
04-25-2015, 08:38 PM
Thanks. I'll have to call the dealer Monday. I only got one key and no sleeves or anything like that. Just a single bare key.

What kind of Spyder ?
For the RT, you get two keys, two sleeves, one for each key, and an additional lock cylinder to be used if you get a trailer.

SPYD1
04-25-2015, 08:44 PM
Keys are expensive. Make sure u get another. If you lose that one I heard people having to pay 3-400$ to have new set ups made on their Spyder.

cuznjohn
04-25-2015, 08:53 PM
look in the trunk or frunk or luggage if you got any.

Bfromla
04-25-2015, 10:04 PM
http://mykeyport.comhttp://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106259&stc=1 Fyi ignition, saddle bag, 2house keys, flashlight& thumb drive too:firstplace: The hump on side has cloned transponder chip, need proper locksmith not just walmart but works great. Look @ my album & live chat with them Aimee very friendly fyi great service:2thumbs:

G'luck

pitzerwm
04-25-2015, 10:29 PM
You can drill a hole at the top of the key with no problem. Search for "keys" you find pixs.

Bob Denman
04-25-2015, 10:33 PM
:agree: I drilled both of mine (After giving it LOTS of thought...). :2thumbs:

revjvegas
04-26-2015, 12:13 AM
Ours came with two keys and key sleeves that have the hole for a keyring. The key snaps into the key sleeve.
:agree:

jlg
04-26-2015, 07:18 AM
What kind of Spyder ?
For the RT, you get two keys, two sleeves, one for each key, and an additional lock cylinder to be used if you get a trailer.
It's a 2014 RT-S -- I DID get the lock cylinder (it was in the glove box), but only one bare key.

jlg
04-26-2015, 07:24 AM
Oh, also just to check -- did all of your machines come with the "operator manual and safety DVD" attached in front of the battery cover? The manual says it SHOULD be there, but mine didn't have one....

OJ UK
04-26-2015, 07:36 AM
I've had two Spyders, different models, and both had two keys and holders and both
had an Operator Manual and CD. If you haven't got them insist that your dealer supplies them.

GearHd
04-26-2015, 07:43 AM
Ours also came with the manual and CD.

Bob Denman
04-26-2015, 08:05 AM
:agree: Your dealer owes you a "care package...".

ottawa-rider
04-26-2015, 09:39 AM
It's a 2014 RT-S -- I DID get the lock cylinder (it was in the glove box), but only one bare key.

Is it a new machine from a BRP dealer?

billybovine
04-26-2015, 09:45 AM
As others have said you should have got 2 keys. In future as a warning you should always have 2 working keys minimum. If you lose your one and only key it is a $900 to $1,000 bill and it is not covered by warranty.

As for no hole in the key and sleeve instead. I like it that way and really works well for me. But a lot of folks hate it and are very vocal about it.

jlg
04-26-2015, 10:22 AM
Is it a new machine from a BRP dealer?

Yes, it's new and from a certified BRP dealer. I plan on contacting them Monday to get the keys/holders, the Op Guide/DVD, and also to get my warranty information which I realize wasn't in the paperwork they supplied.

ThreeWheels
04-26-2015, 10:30 AM
Using the sleeve allows the ignition key to be removed and isolated from all the other keys, making for clean use of the key in the ignition. This does two things, first and foremost, it removes extraneous metal from the ignition receiver so you can be sure the ignition switch gets a signal from the chip in the key.
Second, you don't get the ignition switch all scratched up from the keys flopping around.

Nonetheless, if you wish to have the key itself on a key ring, here is an option.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAN-AM-SPYDER-KEY-HOLDER-KEY-SAVER-/261332482499?nma=true&si=wbbK4tTKy3wH7QdvGUnxCUl74EM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106285&stc=1

billybovine
04-26-2015, 10:41 AM
Yes, it's new and from a certified BRP dealer. I plan on contacting them Monday to get the keys/holders, the Op Guide/DVD, and also to get my warranty information which I realize wasn't in the paperwork they supplied.

The keys are ziptied to the left side of the handlebars in the factory. No reason to cut them off until dealer prep is complete and ready to hand over to the customer. The exception would be if it was put on the dealer showroom floor and the spare key is put away for safe keeping. The salesman needs to be educated that new units must be handed over to the customer with 2 keys.

The OP guide and DVD is attached to the battery cover in the factory. For what possible reason would the dealer remove it? Yet it happens. Also what happens often is because the manual is behind the trunk liner the customer can't find it and complains that the dealer did not give it to them.

WEB-WVR
04-26-2015, 01:00 PM
New puirchaser here too.

I got 2 keys and 2 sleeves that fit on your key ring...that's how I set it up.

I got 2 keys for the saddle bags from the dealer and then in each bag was another key....so I have 4 saddle bag keys....good idea then a passenger can have their own. :clap:

You should get the manual and DVD. Many dealers (mine did) remove them as some of these bikes go outside, dont want manual to "disappear" ....so I got my manual, DVD and extra keys when we signed all the paper work. :thumbup::spyder2:

They keys have a chip inside, so if you drill a hole...just be careful...may damage the chip and then the key may not work. :spyder:

ARtraveler
04-26-2015, 02:57 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: Your covered on the key information.

Oldmanzues
04-26-2015, 03:23 PM
I vote for getting third key and keeping it locked up where yoy know where it is in the house. If you lose two, take this one in you car to get it duplicated. I heard way over 1000 if you lose all. Sleeves have worked for years with me.
I might even be tempted to ride to a different dealer and pay a little to have the Spyder checked out.
Oldmanzues

stormtrooper
04-26-2015, 05:51 PM
I use these to hold my Spyder key

jlg
04-26-2015, 06:18 PM
The keys are ziptied to the left side of the handlebars in the factory. No reason to cut them off until dealer prep is complete and ready to hand over to the customer. The exception would be if it was put on the dealer showroom floor and the spare key is put away for safe keeping. The salesman needs to be educated that new units must be handed over to the customer with 2 keys.

The OP guide and DVD is attached to the battery cover in the factory. For what possible reason would the dealer remove it? Yet it happens. Also what happens often is because the manual is behind the trunk liner the customer can't find it and complains that the dealer did not give it to them.

Thanks -- I DID check behind the liner (I wanted to look at the battery anyway), so I know it isn't there. They did get this Can Am from another dealer, so not sure what happened there.
I also realize that they didn't give me any information on the +1 year warranty (the special deal from BRP for this spring).

Bfromla
04-26-2015, 06:19 PM
Like all above & thx to my keyport i can keep spare safe in wallet, another in frunk on my janitor sized trophy ring 50+ keys & various junk. Advise against drilling! Chip to fragile to knick get a spare first & or a cloned chip to put in what ever u decide. Dont get stuck!

jlg
05-01-2015, 07:49 PM
Thanks folks. I get the second key and the holders. As for the manual and DVDs, they had to order one for me.

Deanna777
05-01-2015, 08:01 PM
I got 2 keys and 2 holders ( 1 for each key) on a key ring with name of dealer, and I got a manual and DVD inside of the frunk near battery( behind front cargo liner)

I have a 2014RTS-SE6 Cognac, I bought it last year, and it came from an other dealer( near the end of the motorcycle riding season) Hope this helps Ride safe!
Deanna

Deanna777
05-01-2015, 08:08 PM
Folks when you get a new Spyder, how many keys are supposed to come with it? Also, how are you folks caring for your keys since there is no hole to hook up a keychain?HI, Sent you a PM. Deanna

jlg
05-01-2015, 08:33 PM
Thanks Deanna. Just replied. I guess I didn't get a Bunch of things.