PDA

View Full Version : HMT light Custom Dynamics

SPYD1
04-25-2015, 10:44 AM
Does the dual converter in addition to the HMT light give you brakes and running? Or also turn signals?

Jim&Teresa
04-25-2015, 10:50 AM
Hello,

I've installed two of these - one on the 2012 and one on the 2014 RT Limited. I used the dual converter each time. I purchased the all red LED light for brakes only.

The dual converter allows running lights to be used as well as the bright brake light.

I do NOT know about the new HMT that has turn signals - someone who has that combo has to provide you the info.

Here's a couple pics - one showing with running lights and the other when brake is applied - good luck! :thumbup:

SPYD1
04-25-2015, 10:54 AM
Thanks...I thought the converter might give turn signals too.

Jim&Teresa
04-25-2015, 10:58 AM
Thanks...I thought the converter might give turn signals too.

There is an option now that you can buy an HMT with the amber turn signal LED's at each end.....you can check that out at one of the sponsors of the site: Custom Dynamics. http://www.customdynamics.com/can_am_spyder_led_lighting.htm#Street_Magic_Genesi s_LED_RT_HMT_Brake_Light The nice thing about this site is they let you see the install instructions - you can take a look ahead of time at them to help you understand the install and a little more insight on the product.

I elected to stay with the "all red" to indicate I'm slowing down or stopped to help prevent someone from running into us.....I have amber LED's on my side mirrors which help people to the rear and side see my turn signals as well.

Good luck with you decision and install....if you need help with install, just ask as it can be a little tricky if you haven't done it before.

finless
04-25-2015, 11:00 AM
Just a tip from me.

I did not like all the double sticky tape on the HMT light.
It made it stick out too far and stick up to high above the lid and thus to me did not look factory.

Thus I spent the time to remove all the tape and then stuck the light on using little dabs of silicon sealant.

What this also does for you is if later you sell your spyder and want to remove the light you can. With the tape, no way will you be able to remove the light without destroying it.

Here is a video with tips from me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka_ziBpN8As

Bob

ThreeWheels
04-25-2015, 09:03 PM
Be careful.
I bought the HMT light as well as the lights for the side reflectors on the bags.
When I placed the order, Custom Dynamics warned me that their turn signal modifications don't seem to play well with the 2014 and up Spyders.
I've read posts on this site that seem to back that up, so I didn't buy the turn signal modules.
On the other hand, I just picked up my Spyder from the shop today. One of the items was a firmware update that fixed some bugs in the turn signal programming that controlled the flash timing. This may have solved the problem with the CD turn signal modifications.
Nevertheless, I have the HMT set up as a running and brake light, the side reflectors on the bags are running lights only.

OverHillAndDale
04-30-2015, 01:22 PM
I bought the HMT with the amber turn signals for my 2014 RT. The lights are great - very bright, and it does provide red running and brake lights along with amber turn signals. These are the brightest after-market lights I've ever installed. If you're concerned about the functionality with a 2014, I've had no issues.

I agree with the post about the tape - mine had a small wrinkle on one side and as a result one side is about 1/8 inch higher than the other. My OCD says to remove it and fix it, but it will be a pretty big job. The vendor said to use WD-40 to loosen the tape - apply and let sit, make sure it has time to work. Then use fishing line to work behind the tape and work it slowly pulling from one side to the other until you work it all the way behind, and pull gently. I might do it if I ever have a day with nothing better to do.

04-30-2015, 01:28 PM
I have installed the one with the turn signals on my 14 RT Ltd and my wife's 11 RT Ltd. Both work fine,
The turn signal model is about $30 more then the reg. light without turn signals.

bmwlarry
04-30-2015, 09:23 PM
I installed mine today. It took about 30 min. to remove that wrinkled 3M tape with a heat gun! I used some DAP Auto/Marine 100% Silicon RTV sealant for adhesive. Extreamly easy install. I removed the rear top and bottom panels as well as the lights and the left speaker pod.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106605&stc=1
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106606&stc=1
I also had a few other things to do!
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106607&stc=1

finless
04-30-2015, 09:41 PM
Personally I think Custom Dynamics should stop putting the tape on these HMT lights. It's a total pain in the A to remove!

They should supply some tape strips if the users wants to use that and not buy silicon sealant.

Clearly the light was designed to "fit" in the RT trunk lid space and the tape just jacks that "fit" all up in my opinion.

Good job Larry!

You should show some pictures of how well the HMT light fits without the tape. Some people think it's fine with the tape....
I just cannot see it with the tape looking good.

Bob

gparr
05-01-2015, 05:54 PM
Not trying to hijack this thread...I am in agreement with Bob...however are the any other brands that would come without the tape on the light and would fit as nicely as this one?

finless
05-02-2015, 09:07 AM
No others exist that I am aware of!

You can DIY it

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?54599-Farkle-2-RT-Trunk-Break-light-DIY-full-video-how-to

Bob

Marker
05-02-2015, 09:15 AM
I have a 2015 RT Limited. I installed the HMT brake light and have the dual converter installed too. Works great brake light and running light.
I also have the Custom Dynamics Rear Brightsides that are turn signals too. The brightsides work great and have no problems with them. I also installed the fender lights and have them as turn signals too. There is a kit that you purchase chase from Custom Dynamics that allow the fender lights to function as turn signals and running light. With all the kits read and reread and reread the included instructions because all of the kits have to be installed as the instructions tell you or they will not and you will get spyder codes. I know this because I hooked up the fender lights incorrectly and they only flashed a little when the turn signals are turned on. After correcting the problem they work awesome. Great visibility.:thumbup::thumbup: