PDA

View Full Version : How do you prep-map your quests?

bayoumanPIBE
04-24-2015, 10:19 PM
I can use Google maps to plot routes, but I was wondering if anyone has come across something cooler where you can see gas stations, rest stops and other things? Even though I know where to go, I would like to plot out how long I drive and spots where I could rest, etc..

I'd like to hear if anyone even goes that far in prepping and if so, I'd like to read what you do. :bowdown:

PaladinLV
04-24-2015, 11:04 PM
That's why I use a GPS.
Wish I could help

AJ

I can use Google maps to plot routes, but I was wondering if anyone has come across something cooler where you can see gas stations, rest stops and other things? Even though I know where to go, I would like to plot out how long I drive and spots where I could rest, etc..

I'd like to hear if anyone even goes that far in prepping and if so, I'd like to read what you do. :bowdown:

Chupaca
04-25-2015, 12:19 AM
paper map on the tank bag and fly by the seat of your pants. Drive till you find a place to rest eat wherever. In this country there is no shortage of food gas and motels....but I have seen posts here of planning programs/sites..search them or maybe those using them will post here...:thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
04-25-2015, 12:53 AM
I used to have an app on my phone called Sit or Stand, it rated bathrooms across the country at rest areas and gas stations. I think you may have enjoyed it! :roflblack:

PistonBlown
04-25-2015, 05:36 AM
This works in New Zealand so I'm guessing it will work for you as well. In Google Maps if you type in Petrol (or Petrol followed by a location) it lists lots of petrol stations but also overlays by some petrol companies (Allied Petroleum in our case) that show all of their petrol stations as markers. If you click on one it will give you details of opening hours, cards taken etc.

I work out my route first and once I know the distances start looking up petrol stations near the point where I'm going to fill up. South Island New Zealand can be a bit sparse on petrol stations and many are closed at night so I normally plot two near my fill-up point in case one is closed.

I tend to be doing iron butt style journeys so rest stops tend to be when I stop for petrol and accommodation I'm just want somewhere to crash for a few hours - However again I just find a town, Google it and see what comes back. After picking a couple of possible ones I then normally use Google street view to check them and the streets their on out to make sure it looks ok. Pictures on web sites can be deliberately misleading but Google street view doesn't lie:-)

Don't tend to trust those user review sites as most people who write reviews on those have agenda's one way or another. Until recently I used to travel extensively for work so now have my own mental check list of red flags when checking places out. E.g. If I spot a certain design of bedspread in the room photos means it's one to avoid:-)

I do have an app on my phone called GPS CoPilot which as well as giving directions also shows petrol stations etc so that can also be useful if I'm just meandering without a plan.

Gray Ghost
04-25-2015, 06:31 AM
I use BaseCamp to set up my routes on my Garmin. If I have an idea of about where I want lodging or gas it is fairly easy to find it. And BaseCamp has a tie in to Google Earth so I can also zoom in and see details of the stop (more important when taking the RV than the Spyder). Food I leave to whatever I find along the way unless we are doing something specific like finding locations featured on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.

Doesn't all that planning take away from the adventure, after all gas stations and hotels are everywhere, right? I have been in areas where gas stations as well as lodging were few and far between. And even in places where they are more plentiful, having a planned stop doesn't mean that I will always use that stop, it just gives me a fall-back in case I don't find anything more interesting.

Bob Denman
04-25-2015, 06:57 AM
I also use Google maps as a baseline route...

...And then slug it out with the Zumo 660! nojoke

Those two NEVER seem to be able to agree!

PistonBlown
04-25-2015, 09:01 AM
After planning my route on Google Maps I write instructions for myself to go in my tank bag and as you can see below they can be somewhat strange. What I find really helps is to use Google street view to check out junctions on your route. It lets me know what landmarks etc to look for so I don't miss a turning or take the wrong one. I tend to plan my route myself rather than replying on the directions given by Google Maps or a GPS system as I pick the roads that are fun to ride on a Spyder. With street view you can also check the road surface etc - NZ has quite a lot of gravel roads and it's not always clear that they are from the map. I only use a GPS system at night when I can't see my instructions.

Thought I'd show you this to give you a giggle. This is an example of a couple of my route plans between of the checkpoints from this years TT2000, it makes sense to me but probably no one else:-)
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106208&stc=1

otter28169
04-25-2015, 09:24 AM
Look up the program TYRE (take your route everywhere). I have created several routes in it already. I just wired my tomtom rider to the spyder this morning and I am going to load a route in and try it. I will let you know how well it works later.

Just sayin'............

finless
04-25-2015, 09:34 AM
I use Google Earth as you can turn on all kinds of layers like gas, restaurants, etc. Once I find my stop I use Google Streets to view the places like I was standing in front of them.

Bob

ChicoFowler
04-25-2015, 09:47 AM
I believe AA trip tick can show gas stations, hotels, restaurants, etc. I used it several times --- along with the Garmin

MyEleanor
04-25-2015, 10:39 AM
I have always used Microsoft Streets and Trips. You can pretty much find what you are looking for and the trips have always loaded into my Garmin with no issues.

bayoumanPIBE
04-25-2015, 12:59 PM
First...Love the feedback from the ryders in this forum. Ya'll are great and this is why I remain a part and try to be a part with ya'll.

Anyway, some great ideas. Unfortunately, can't get the Garmin or the like for a minute. Looks like my Galaxy S6 will have to do. I saw AAA has some things, MapQuest is a bit unreliable at times (have better routes with Google maps) and the "play-it-by-ear" rides are always fun (especially when it's only a three-four hour trip to SpyderFest for me.

I noticed a few ryders posted putting notes in their tank bags. That's be cool, but I still cannot find one to fit my ST-S...so, any paper will have to be pulled out of my pockets at various times...

AbNormy
04-25-2015, 01:28 PM
How do you get base camp to "tie in" with Google maps?

ARtraveler
04-25-2015, 01:50 PM
In the good ol days--I would take out my free State Farm Road Atlas. Rand McNally still sells them with maps for all the states and sub maps for large cities.

This was how all my trips were planned. Did not worry about gas stations or rest stops. Both were always plentiful and easily visible.

Alaska has the Milepost which gives more information than the above.

I have yet to use the computer to chart a trip. And yes, I know how to find the "good stuff." :yes:

Orange Spyder Man
04-25-2015, 02:33 PM
my GPS Garmin 660 displays gas stations near your position.. won't leave home without a GPS

osm

BikerDoc
04-25-2015, 03:10 PM
I also use Google maps as a baseline route...

...And then slug it out with the Zumo 660! nojoke

Those two NEVER seem to be able to agree!They absolutely never agree!!!!!! but I do the same

Mazo EMS2
04-25-2015, 03:27 PM
I use TYRE. It has lots of nice features that are all easy to use as you plan the route. Works very well with my Garmin.

otter28169
04-25-2015, 07:05 PM
My ride today was 82.5 miles and was planned out with TYRE. The software worked seamlessly with my tomtom rider. The only issue is that tomtom wanted to plan my route in the "fastest" or "shortest" or "avoid highways" manner. I nee to tinker with it a bit, but the route was good, and the gps was plenty loud enough even at 60 mph. Overall I rate it a 9 out of 10. I will be tinkering with it and I am almost certain I can get it to be 10 of 10.

Just sayin'.............

PaladinLV
04-25-2015, 07:41 PM
paper map on the tank bag and fly by the seat of your pants. Drive till you find a place to rest eat wherever. In this country there is no shortage of food gas and motels.....:thumbup:

Unless you live in Nevada! :roflblack:

AJ

Empty Pockets
04-25-2015, 08:57 PM
Gas Buddy app for gas stops pre-plan hotels with Hilton Honors being a Diamond member you can cancel and rebook if need with no issues or cost. I use the Waze app for directions

Gray Ghost
04-27-2015, 07:12 AM
How do you get base camp to "tie in" with Google maps?

I am posting screenshots using a waypoint on a route I had previously set up. If you want to view a particular area, set a waypoint up in that area first, then follow the steps I give you.
On the first screen, the sequence is: 1. Click on the arrow to get the selection tool, 2. Click on the desired waypoint (in this case Enchanted Rock, 3. Click on View on the menu bar, 4. Click on Google Earth, 5. Click on View Selected. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106350&stc=1

When you do that, Google Earth opens showing the satellite view of your selected waypoint. You can use the slider on the right side of the screen to zoom in and out. The yellow and white lines superimposed on the roadways show lines taken by the google cars taking the pictures that comprise Street View. To get down to the level where you can see the area as you would from your vehicle, click and drag the yellow man figure (outlined in red) to one of the lines. I used the yellow line. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106349&stc=1

Street View opens up showing the roadway, I then clicked on the image and dragged to the right getting to the point where I could see the view shown in this screenshot. What is not shown in my screenshot is at the bottom of the screen it gives the coordinates of where I have the man figure. If I was looking for a particular feature, such as a state welcome sign, I can move along the roadway until I find exactly what I am looking for, then note the coordinates and edit my waypoint in Base Camp so that the waypoint moves to the location I intended to go to. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106348&stc=1

AbNormy
04-28-2015, 09:23 PM
Cool thanks