PDA

View Full Version : No Spyderfest this year......bittersweet!

SpyderRx
04-22-2015, 09:52 PM
Well, I registered for my first Spyderfest and reserved my room back on January 1st however I will not be able to attend this year. But as my title states, it is bittersweet. I will be riding to Key West instead the week of May 11th. One of my riding buddies put this trip together and as of now we have about 8 or 9 bikes going that is part of our riding group. Spyder601 will be the only other Spyder. I could only choose one trip, that "work" thing always gets in the way of fun, and I chose Key West. I felt like the Key West run was an opportunity that may not come up again for some time so I went with it. So, as sad as I am I will not be at Spyderfest, I'm looking forward to Key West. We plan on hitting the East coast around St. Augustine and working our way down to the keys, then returning back up the Gulf side. We are planning on leaving on May 10th late afternoon and returning the following Sunday. So this is where I need my Spyderlovers help. What should I "see" on my trip, where should I eat, and where should I stay in Key West? What is your "can't miss" stops along this route?

Bfromla
04-23-2015, 04:48 AM
Enjoy the trip know i did:yes:! Also few threads up another member burhead is down there too fyi, stuck in limp mode, more riders to meet & share with.:doorag: Can you collect all pics of the different dolphins FL has painted @ for visitors? 28 i think, few extra miles , but hay its FL! Enjoy

jwood4242
04-23-2015, 04:58 AM
I'm jealous, that will be an awesome and beautiful ride!
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=JN.%2bhDMmYaBHr7phZX2G7A35Q&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

vided
04-23-2015, 05:58 AM
I'm jealous, that will be an awesome and beautiful ride!
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=JN.%2bhDMmYaBHr7phZX2G7A35Q&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

:agree::agree::agree: enjoy, be safe, pictures pictures :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

SPYD1
04-23-2015, 06:21 AM
Enjoy your trip...I have to miss Spyderfest for far less...:banghead:

sduskin
04-23-2015, 07:54 AM
There is a diner on the highway on Big Pine Key that has excellent breakfast food. On the main street going across Key West, there is a white 2-story cottage house that sells absolutely the BEST Key Lime pies!

Have lots of fun!

Tango
04-23-2015, 08:03 AM
Add me to the "jealous" list. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

PrairieSpyder
04-23-2015, 09:17 AM
I don't blame you for your choice to ride to the Keys with your group. But I hope you'll make it to the 'fest next year!

sandeejs
04-23-2015, 09:32 AM
.....that "work" thing always gets in the way of fun.....

Usually I agree, that's one of the wonderful things about retirement. But work also pays for the fun stuff.
A vicious circle, I tell you.
~Sandee~

BikerDoc
04-23-2015, 09:41 AM
Key West hotels are heavily booked with special events going on constantly and it is virtually impossible to find rooms for under $200 a night. Our group is headed they right now but our disabled military veterans got us two condos for $40 per night each , our folks that can't fit are paying over $250 at the hotel... shop ahead for rooms

Bob Denman
04-23-2015, 10:52 AM
Add me to the "jealous" list. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

:agree: But VERY happy to see that you've got such a GREAT ride planned! :2thumbs:

MouthPiece
04-23-2015, 11:12 AM
Eateries
(Home Cookin)

Williston or Ocala, Flarda is a place called "The Ivy House". Old style Flarda home converted into a restaurant. Good down home cookin.

(Seafood)
St. Augustine a place called Osteens

Palatka (just a ways west of St. Augustine)
a place called Corky Belles.

Daytona a place called "Our Deck Down Under"

Cuban:
Key West a place called Simoneys (to die for Cuban food. Best roast pork you'll ever have).

Quick Chinese Stir Fry (for on the fly moments)

Venice: Pei Wei. Excellent stir fry at a reasonable price.

Tampa is a place called Burns Steakhouse. (it's been years since I've been there, but there were excellent at that time).

Ride Route:
Basically U.S. 1 on the east coast.

I took I-75 on the West Coast and then took off roads for individual sight seeing.

Key West accommodations:
Silver Palm Inn in Key West. (pricey, but exquisite. Very nice place and right slap dab in downtown Key West).

Chris

ARtraveler
04-23-2015, 01:13 PM
Sounds like your alternate trip will be a good one. Enjoy. :yes::yes:

SpyderRx
04-23-2015, 09:22 PM
Eateries
(Home Cookin)

Williston or Ocala, Flarda is a place called "The Ivy House". Old style Flarda home converted into a restaurant. Good down home cookin.

(Seafood)
St. Augustine a place called Osteens

Palatka (just a ways west of St. Augustine)
a place called Corky Belles.

Daytona a place called "Our Deck Down Under"

Cuban:
Key West a place called Simoneys (to die for Cuban food. Best roast pork you'll ever have).

Quick Chinese Stir Fry (for on the fly moments)

Venice: Pei Wei. Excellent stir fry at a reasonable price.

Tampa is a place called Burns Steakhouse. (it's been years since I've been there, but there were excellent at that time).

Ride Route:
Basically U.S. 1 on the east coast.

I took I-75 on the West Coast and then took off roads for individual sight seeing.

Key West accommodations:
Silver Palm Inn in Key West. (pricey, but exquisite. Very nice place and right slap dab in downtown Key West).

Chris

thank you for the suggestions. Had osteens on my list already. Keep them coming everybody

Spyder601
04-23-2015, 10:16 PM
Hate we will miss the fest but this trip to key west should be one to remember

Bfromla
04-24-2015, 01:23 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106145&stc=1 Well worth the trip :):firstplace:

Noral
04-24-2015, 09:48 AM
Hate we will miss the fest but this trip to key west should be one to remember

Philipp & Taz, We will see you guys down their some ware. Can't wait

SpyderRx
04-24-2015, 10:45 AM
Philipp & Taz, We will see you guys down their some ware. Can't wait
Sounds great! Do you have a hotel yet? We need to book something

bigsmoke
04-24-2015, 12:03 PM
Well, I registered for my first Spyderfest and reserved my room back on January 1st however I will not be able to attend this year. But as my title states, it is bittersweet. I will be riding to Key West instead the week of May 11th. One of my riding buddies put this trip together and as of now we have about 8 or 9 bikes going that is part of our riding group. Spyder601 will be the only other Spyder. I could only choose one trip, that "work" thing always gets in the way of fun, and I chose Key West. I felt like the Key West run was an opportunity that may not come up again for some time so I went with it. So, as sad as I am I will not be at Spyderfest, I'm looking forward to Key West. We plan on hitting the East coast around St. Augustine and working our way down to the keys, then returning back up the Gulf side. We are planning on leaving on May 10th late afternoon and returning the following Sunday. So this is where I need my Spyderlovers help. What should I "see" on my trip, where should I eat, and where should I stay in Key West? What is your "can't miss" stops along this route?

A must stop is Alabama Jacks for great food and fun time.
Alabama Jacks is at the beginning of the Keys about 10 minutes from
the main hiway, this is also a great biker hangout, you won't regret it.

SpyderRx
04-25-2015, 11:59 AM
A must stop is Alabama Jacks for great food and fun time.
Alabama Jacks is at the beginning of the Keys about 10 minutes from
the main hiway, this is also a great biker hangout, you won't regret it.
I will have to try that out.