PDA

View Full Version : My time to vent

CincySpyder
11-29-2008, 08:00 AM
I have problems with my SE5 it doesn't downshift to first right all the time. sometimes it almost stalls the bike. so i call BRP and they said to take it to the dealer and have them call the tech line. so far BRP has not heard from my dealer and it has been two weeks. I do not know why they can't find out what is wrong with it. it had a code about the shift sensor but still two weeks and no word. I paid close to 18000. with accessories and I don't even have my bike at my house. and it is only two months old with 1700 miles. I have heard people talk about "clutch rollers" did this fix the problem? My dealer was Hoosier Motorsports in Indiana. The sales guy there is great but I am not to confident in their service.:dontknow:

Lamonster
11-29-2008, 08:52 AM
BRP USA 715-848-4957 Let then know the situation.

zzneonzz
11-29-2008, 09:30 AM
From what i have read the problem you are describing is the Shift Sensor. Many SE5 owners have had a problem with this and it took a couple weeks for the part to come in

jimjel
11-29-2008, 09:47 AM
I was at the beach today in Jom Tein, Thailand and low and behold I saw a red Spyder going down the street. Couldn't believe it. First one I have seen in the flesh. That dude better hope he doesn't expierience the kinds of problems people on this site have had, cause I will guarantee you he will have to ship it back to North America or Europe to get it fixed. Oh, woe is he.

NancysToy
11-29-2008, 10:13 AM
I have problems with my SE5 it doesn't downshift to first right all the time. sometimes it almost stalls the bike. so i call BRP and they said to take it to the dealer and have them call the tech line. so far BRP has not heard from my dealer and it has been two weeks. I do not know why they can't find out what is wrong with it. it had a code about the shift sensor but still two weeks and no word. I paid close to 18000. with accessories and I don't even have my bike at my house. and it is only two months old with 1700 miles. I have heard people talk about "clutch rollers" did this fix the problem? My dealer was Hoosier Motorsports in Indiana. The sales guy there is great but I am not to confident in their service.:dontknow:
What does your dealer have to say? BRP seems like a last resort...lean on the dealer first, or at least give him a chance.
-Scotty

bone crusher
11-29-2008, 10:56 AM
It's horrible to hear you're having such problems.

I think at this time, with all the SE5 problems, it might be a good idea for others not to buy one for some time.

In your case, I'd call BRP and demand answers...or, tell them you want a refund and a steep discount on a manual!

I'm beginning to think that an 'automatic' Spyder is not a good idea...to much electronics for a bike that already has some electronic glitches...

Good luck...use the number Lamonster listed for you...

GI Jane
11-29-2008, 05:33 PM
I disagree with the SE5 remark. I may be jinxing myself but mine has run almost perfect since day 1, 3 Oct 08. I love my SE5.

CincySpyder
11-29-2008, 05:36 PM
i have been callin BRP at 18888642002 is this the right number? the service guy at the dealer just called. he said he drove it for 40 miles and couldnt get it to do it so he reset the codes..he says thats what he does when he sees that code and told me i should just ride it till it breaks. I am thinking refund and i'll will go buy another bike. I will call BRP on Monday since the dealer is not open on monday and then call the dealer on tuesday...wish me luck:2thumbs:

caser
11-29-2008, 06:49 PM
I had a dealer who would not ask for help and would argue with me about my my problem, all but calling me a nut. I now have a new dealer with an excellant service dept. There's so much money to be made for a good service dept. I don't understand dealerships who do not put an emphasis on it.... Oh yea.. I'm am nut.

bone crusher
11-30-2008, 03:25 AM
Cincy,

Insist on a refund and a discount on a SM5...many have had problems with gearing issues like yours...with the manual, you won't have these problems...plus, you'll have more of a feel of the road than with the 'auto'! One of the best parts of riding a motorcycle is hittin' the clutch and changing the gears...

The SE5 is virtually interchangeable with a convertible...it's really as much car as it is bike...I'm 100% biased here, but eh, who cares...the manual is easy to ride and it's more fun! The SE5 is an electronic marvel and I'm sure a great ride, but it's a bit too sterile for me...perhaps that electronic marvel isn't worth the headache many are getting...sometimes too much electrical control is not a good thing!

sleepman
11-30-2008, 05:36 AM
I seriously doubt that a refund is an option that's gonna happen. You'd probably have to use a lemon law for that and in a lot of states the lemon law doesn't apply to recreational vehicles.

My suggestion would be to move your business to another dealer. I've visited a few Spyder dealers here in Florida and by having a few conversations with the parts departments and service departments it's been pretty easy to figure out that some dealers just don't have much in the way of experience when it comes to servicing the Spyder.

retread
11-30-2008, 08:33 AM
It's the experience with the Spyder and the willingness to learn more that got me to the dealer I'm with now, they admitted to little experience, but when I mentioned some of the problems I've read about, they went to their computer and had answers about them in less than 5 minutes.

Cundiffla
11-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Cincy,

Good morning, How did you stop or slow down was it sudden?

I have a SE5 and very few times mine will act up on downshifting. The time my did act up I slammed on the brakes "due to person in front slammed on his" the spyder was almost at stopped before it has a chance to downshift. It was stuck on 3 so I had to press the shifter up twice the computer shifted it up once and then downshifted automatically to 1st again. The problem is when the spyder seems to have it RPM still high and the Spyder is slowing down faster then the Enginee RPM slowing down it confused the computer letting it think it is still going. I believe the downshift is based on RPM and not the Mile per hour. Just for kicks I slammed on the brakes it did it again a while back. So I now know if there is a need for emergency stop plan on shifting up to unlock the gears.

Also another thing if you are stopping or slowing down but still have the throttle open in lieu of letting it up this will also confuse the computer because you are slowing down by braking and holding the thottle in same place causing the RPM to be high and the mph is slowing down. Again I believe the electronic shift is based on the RPM.

The reason the dealer service department can't find out what is wrong with your shifting is he isn't duplicating your original way of stopping which cause the downshift confusion.

:spyder: