PDA

View Full Version : GS versus F3

roller
04-19-2015, 03:29 PM
Guys, I've been an outsider looking in for the past while. Sold my 2008 GS SE5 few years ago but always knew I'd buy another Spyder someday. I am paraplegic so had some modifications to my bike and am certainly not scared to do it all again. I'm a bit thrown at the prices I'm seeing for the new F3's but it seems everything in life these days is more expensive than I expect!
My big question regarding the F3 is what all make it so much better than say the 2012/13 RSS-SE5? Or, might I be disappointed by the new F3 models? I say this because I find newer car models are starting to disappoint me compared to older models...
Any and all responses appreciated

Roller

SPYD3R
04-19-2015, 03:40 PM
i still have my'09 RS/SE5, and i'm the proud owner of a new F3-S...
since i ride both, i can tell you that the differences between the two models is tremendous...
i still love my RS, but the F3-S just blows it away at every turn... better handling, better mpg, MORE POWER, smoother shifting, completely different feeling from the seated position... although i haven't removed the CAT yet, the sound of the stock muffler sounds great vs. the RS... once the CAT is removed, i'm hoping for a different tone...
all-in-all, if they were both brand new and i had to chose only 1, it would be the F3-S hands down....
whatever your decision, i wish you well...
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R F3-S

BikerDoc
04-19-2015, 03:56 PM
I certainly agree with your assessment/concern with the automotive industry and their current models, but unlike them BRP made amazing strides forward in 2014 and 2015. I didn't own an 08 or 09 spyder but I have ridden them pretty extensive and I agree completely with SPYD3R in his assessment of the differences. I am approaching 3000 miles in just over a month on my F3 and the more I ryde it the more amazing I find it to be.

ARtraveler
04-19-2015, 04:01 PM
I had both a 2008 GS and a 2009 RS. Do not have the new 2015 F3 platform, but became a 1330 engine owner with my purchase of a 2014 RT. Also had two previous RT's with the 998 cc configuration.

The difference is night and day. Hopefully you can get in a test drive or ride to see if it is your cup of tea.

BeRight
04-19-2015, 04:25 PM
Guys, I've been an outsider looking in for the past while. Sold my 2008 GS SE5 few years ago but always knew I'd buy another Spyder someday. I am paraplegic so had some modifications to my bike and am certainly not scared to do it all again. I'm a bit thrown at the prices I'm seeing for the new F3's but it seems everything in life these days is more expensive than I expect!
My big question regarding the F3 is what all make it so much better than say the 2012/13 RSS-SE5? Or, might I be disappointed by the new F3 models? I say this because I find newer car models are starting to disappoint me compared to older models...
Any and all responses appreciated

Roller

You might consider taking an F3 demo ride - many dealers have demo's now - I'd bet you won't be disappointed. I traded in my 08' RS that was farkled over the years to fit me like a glove and I loved riding it. Without any changes to the F3 it was a perfect fit and outperforms the RS in every way - IMHO.

You are setting on the F3 is a cruiser position - lower center of gravity - turns can be taken safely at a higher speed. Low in torque and acceleration seem well above what my RS was. These old bones also appreciate the more comfortable seat and riding position. The F3 can flat a-- move.

Is the F3 perfect - nope - nothing is to everyone but it comes close - I see only two issues with mine so far, others might not have same issues.

1. windshield - mounting system and offerings from BRP are very very disappointing: breakaway windshield - really - where does it go when it breaks away - would sure like to know. MY BRP shield (blue ridge) provides little wind protection for me - the windshield is constantly moving (some - but stays fastened) with wind and motorcycle vibrations (maybe). Aftermarket will hopefully come up with an aerodynamic windshield but will probably still be stuck with mounting system (hopefully not).

2. Belt vibration: mine started out minor is now very robust (belt has probably loosened some - need to check) - like many others is in 68-73 MPH range. Can accelerate through rather quickly. I just seems this is where I frequently am with traffic flow - I am guilty of not liking to go slower that flow of majority of traffic. Maybe BRP will up the belt tension numbers like they did on another model.

Neither one of these issues is a show stopper for me and I still can't get the grin off my face every time I ride it.

Super plus side compared to my RS: no initial heat issues (which I fixed on 08'RS), no initial smell of gas (which BRP fixed on 08' RS) , love the sound of stock muffler - reminds me of a street sports car, acceleration, handling, comfort, styling, color choices, etc.

Oh - forgot to add you can see some of the engine - being used to 2 wheelers I still like seeing the engine - ++++++ to BRP and Lamonster plus a host of others who contributed to the design of this motorcycle.

Bob Denman
04-19-2015, 04:35 PM
GS versus F-3? :dontknow:
For the extra $5000 :shocked:; you get:
1. the 1330
2. the six speed transmission
3. A bike that seats you down lower, and "into" it...

Did I mention the 1330 yet?
That'll give you:
more horsepower and torque, at MUCH lower rpm levels
better fuel economy
reduced maintenance costs
NO HEAT being thrown onto the rider's right foot!

The new 6-speed transmission (If you get the SE-6), gives you a new hydraulic lock-up system

Other new stuff...
The evaporative canister has been moved to a much "safer" location.. NO FUEL SMELLS! :yes:
The cooling system has been completely re-engineered with twin radiators out in front of the A-arms
The charging system has been upgraded from a 500 watt magneto on your old bike, to a 1200 watt alternator.
The bike is designed to be fit to you, with optional handlebars, and connecting rods for the shifter and brake pedal.

Chupaca
04-19-2015, 06:54 PM
you do have a special set of circumstances to consider. You did modify one for your particular needs and know what you have to do. The F3 will be a whole new challenge there as far as hardware and positioning. I love my RS and wouldn't change it but if you can't test ryde a stock F3 you could sit on it and see how it would work for you. It's true the 1330 ace engine (being a triple) is smoother and the sixth gear may be nice for those liking a lower rpm engine. But to me there is nothing like a high revving twin winding through the hillside. Hardly use fith but for crusing the F3 was designed and fits the bill nicely...good luck and let us see your choice and mods...:2thumbs:

spydaman60
04-20-2015, 06:49 AM
just traded my 2012 rss for the new f3s. I did it without test driving the f3s first. I am assuming being a paraplegic does not allow you a test drive either, without having some special farckles added, like hand brake lever. I can tell you two things about the change. number one is, I agree with all the info above and number two, I wished I lived a little closer to your part of the country, cause i'd personally come over and show you and take you for a ride.

Lamonster
04-20-2015, 07:53 AM
I've been involved with the F3 for about 4.5 years now and I can tell you they got it right this time. About the only thing that's lacking is the trunk storage. It was a tradeoff to keep the bike cool and the front narrow like the RS. For me it put the fun factor back into the Spyder, I am such a hooligan every time I ride it. Sitting almost 4" lower really improves the handling and you don't feel like you're going to get pitched off when you hit a curve a little too fast. Having the gas cap on top of the tank will be a big plus for you too as it was an issue with the RS for those who couldn't easely dismount from the bike.

I don't think you'll be disappointed by the move if you were happy with your RS. They got this one right from the get go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiwOElmJRWg

Bob Denman
04-20-2015, 07:56 AM
:shocked: Wow! You sure can keep a secret... :bowdown:

Spyda98
04-20-2015, 08:30 AM
I currently have the 2012 RS-S and I test rode the F3. I personally like the look of the RS-S better (I still like the look of the F3 also) but I love the performance of the 1330 engine.

So I'm patiently waiting and praying for the RS-S to get the 1330 engine. I will gladly sacrifice some frunk space for the performance.

Since you have already experienced the GS/RS and if you have the budget for a F3.. Then I would vote for you to get the F3 because it was definitely fun to ride and going back to the RS-S after the test ride was a little painful.

Wippi01
04-20-2015, 03:09 PM
You will definitely have to test ride It!!!! due to the new cruiser like seating position the majority of the lateral forces will be compensated with your thigh muscles whereas in the GS most of it was done with your upper body. With your set of circumstances the F3 might be suboptimal. But maybe I'm totally wrong - therefor: Just try it and see if you like it.

wyliec
04-20-2015, 03:34 PM
I hear a lot about how quick the F3 is. The 2008GS was listed at 4.5 seconds from 0-60 mph. If there is a rating for the F3, what is it?

SPYD1
04-20-2015, 04:43 PM
I had both a 2008 GS and a 2009 RS. Do not have the new 2015 F3 platform, but became a 1330 engine owner with my purchase of a 2014 RT. Also had two previous RT's with the 998 cc configuration.

The difference is night and day. Hopefully you can get in a test drive or ride to see if it is your cup of tea.
Same history here. I agree!

jwood4242
04-20-2015, 05:32 PM
I purchased a 2014 RS and can't stay off of it. I love the feel and the 990 seems much better than what I hear being stated on this forum. This is my first Spyder and I hope not my last. I have ridden big V-twins for several decades and am not disappointed in the 2014 Spyder V-twin. I'm not saying it's anything like the 1330 or in any way putting down the F3. I am just very pleased with my RS and was able to buy a new 2014 RS SM5 for $12,600, and that was a big factor for me. I just didn't feel that the thousands more was right for me at this time. It sounds like you may need to spend some money on customization of your bike so you should probably get what you want. I certainly don't have a problem with the F3 and may well own one in the future. I just feel that the newer RS is also a very good bike and wanted to give my 2 cents worth.:) I wish you the best with your decision and many miles of happy riding.

roller
04-21-2015, 04:18 PM
Guys

THANKS a million! I really got way more response than expected and the quality of response was great, hitting on many areas I feared would be missed...
To be honest, I always liked the looks of the RS but the F3's seating position is what caught my eye and I know would be very beneficial. That said, I can have a 12/13 RSS on the road for around 10 grand less and that's just more realistic for me right now.

Thanks to everyone who posted
Roller:thumbup:

isthatahemi
04-22-2015, 05:49 PM
I purchased a 2014 RS and can't stay off of it. I love the feel and the 990 seems much better than what I hear being stated on this forum. This is my first Spyder and I hope not my last. I have ridden big V-twins for several decades and am not disappointed in the 2014 Spyder V-twin. I'm not saying it's anything like the 1330 or in any way putting down the F3. I am just very pleased with my RS and was able to buy a new 2014 RS SM5 for $12,600, and that was a big factor for me. I just didn't feel that the thousands more was right for me at this time. It sounds like you may need to spend some money on customization of your bike so you should probably get what you want. I certainly don't have a problem with the F3 and may well own one in the future. I just feel that the newer RS is also a very good bike and wanted to give my 2 cents worth.:) I wish you the best with your decision and many miles of happy riding.

I have ZERO interest in a the 3 cylinder that is available in the F3. The V Twin is a character motor, and sound like a million bucks with a pipe. My sled has a lower revving 3 cylinder, with better power density, and way more horsepower than the ACE 1330, and unless there was a lot more power available in the 3 cyl Spyder, I would not sacrifice the character of the 990, and certainly not for the extra 9 hp.
Having ridden early and later models, the refinement level after 2009 is vastly superior to the early ones. I also think there is a demographical factor that slants much of what is read on this and any Spyder Forum. I also happen to think the F3 looks awkward and heavy, visually.