PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak

Trbayth
04-17-2015, 03:25 PM
This weekend I get to spend time tracking down a new oil leak that just started. Sometimes it feels like I'm spending as much time tracking down issues as I am riding.

Hope this doesn't affect my ability to head to Spyderfest week after next.

Chupaca
04-17-2015, 03:27 PM
a bit more info and we might be able to help...could be as simple as residue oil from an oil change to valve cover gaskets or water pump seal. Do hope it is minor and does not interrupt your plans...:thumbup:

greatrides
04-17-2015, 10:08 PM
I got some oil leaks spent 45 days in shop and still has oil leak...good luck!

Trbayth
04-18-2015, 12:31 PM
Last oil change was the 600 mile service and that was done before I put her into hibernation for the winter; there were no leaks during that time.

The leak is on the left side, near where the tank and oil cooler are; water pump is on the right I believe.

So I took the covers off including the bottom cover, wiped it down but I don't see any obvious places where it could be leaking. Both drain plugs are tight and look ok (they both appear to be T40's, BTW). No obvious leaks around the filter covers either.

Ran the engine to operating temperature and watched underneath but didn't see any drips. I'll let it sit for a little while to cool off and I'll see if anything starts dripping.

*sigh* Beautiful day here in the NY area. Wish I were riding.

greatrides
04-18-2015, 08:20 PM
Mine is on the left side too. Look at where the shift rod goes into a rubber boot.

Trbayth
04-19-2015, 11:16 AM
So I went for a ride yesterday for a couple of hours then checked it this morning. There's no oil on the garage floor but there is some accumulation in the lower plastic cover. I did some more feeling around and I think it's coming from the HCM in front of the shift rod.

AY4B
04-24-2015, 07:51 PM
My new ST LTD is doing the same thing. I had it up today to install the Baja Ron Sway Bars and noticed it when I took the covers off. I had the 600 mile service before winter also and am now at 1400. There was oil on the covers but no drips. After I was done, I checked the oil level and it was almost to the second line. I went to Louis Powersports to pick up some oil and the mechanic said they use about a quart every 1000 miles. I didnt want to get into any details yet so I just bought 2 quarts of their $12 a quart oil and left. That was the first time I have ever checked the oil. Looks like Ill have to keep a closer eye on it. It looked to me to be oozing from the plug and around the cover what you have to remove to service the filters. :banghead:

AY4B
04-24-2015, 07:56 PM
Just be careful not to put in too much. I just added 8 ounces when 12 would take it pretty close to full.