PDA

View Full Version : Laser Alignment Technician Experience Concern

aeroshots
04-17-2015, 12:31 PM
I located the nearest laser alignment shop. I called them to confirm they indeed do a laser alignment--they do. When inquiring about the cost, the service depart representative stated "I don't know, I haven't done one in a long while, I'll have to check". Okay no worries about him not knowing the cost off the top of his head. My concern is if the lack of recent experience using the equipment to align a Spyder could prove detrimental to my Spyder?

Comments? Is the system a no brainer to operate for even the average technician so no worries?

finless
04-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Make sure when you ask them if they do ROLO laser alignment!
There is a difference over the stock BRP dealer alignment.
By him saying he had not done one in a while sounds to me like it is not ROLO.

Bob

Lamonster
04-17-2015, 12:46 PM
I have corrected a few laser aligned Spyders. Not all know what they're doing. Not saying they don't but I would ask them questions to make sure you feel good about it.

aeroshots
04-17-2015, 12:49 PM
Make sure when you ask them if they do ROLO laser alignment!
There is a difference over the stock BRP dealer alignment.
By him saying he had not done one in a while sounds to me like it is not ROLO.

Bob

They are listed in the ROLO LLC www.spydercomfort.com (http://www.spydercomfort.com) website as a "dealer."

BajaRon
04-17-2015, 01:02 PM
There have been 'Updates' to the Rolo method of Laser alignment. There are a few Spyders that do not respond as well as they should to the 'Standard' Rolo specs. 'Tricks' of adjustment have been developed to deal with these 'Renegade' Spyders and those who have not kept up may not be able to give a quality adjustment for these particular units.

The issue seems to be variance in production parts, etc., that make some Spyders more difficult to get aligned correctly than others. They require a tweak in the standard alignment approach here and there to get them right. I think it well worth the effort (if possible) to find a Rolo alignment provider that does it frequently and has kept up with the latest information.

aeroshots
04-17-2015, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys. I'll go talk to them in person and see how dusty the equipment is :yikes:. This location is 45 minutes from me the next closest is 3 hours. I am not expecting to find someone that does several per day as an automotive alignment center will, but certainly one that can speak the language and is up to date. Thanks again.

edit: The 3 hour away center is an "independent" and not a "dealer" if that makes any difference. This information is per ROLO web site.

ARtraveler
04-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Good points above. I have also wondered about same. :thumbup:

MouthPiece
04-17-2015, 01:45 PM
Thanks guys. I'll go talk to them in person and see how dusty the equipment is :yikes:. This location is 45 minutes from me the next closest is 3 hours. I am not expecting to find someone that does several per day as an automotive alignment center will, but certainly one that can speak the language and is up to date. Thanks again.

edit: The 3 hour away center is an "independent" and not a "dealer" if that makes any difference. This information is per ROLO web site.

Take you a weekend vacation and come on down here to Central, Flarda, at Seminole Power Sports, in Sanford. They are on top of the laser alignment and are a great dealership. Have the wife and kids ride behind you and go to Disney while you're havin it done.

​Chris

Orange Spyder Man
04-17-2015, 01:49 PM
if it were me... from what you wrote about that particular dealer's experience.. I think I would look for another place to align my spyder .... just saying

osm

Chupaca
04-17-2015, 02:57 PM
once aligned if you do any work on the rear wheel needing to remove it your alignment will need to be re-checked. Many have been aligned then they replaced the rear tire so they may very well be out of alignmen. Some will check for free...:thumbup:

aeroshots
04-17-2015, 05:35 PM
So, I heard something about this little event somewhere up near Springfield or thereabouts. Spyderfest or something?;) Well, I've got to go to just around the corner from there (St. Louis) to pick up my RT-622 that a friend of mine got for me. Maybe I'll get on the ball and plan the trip and ride to Spyderfest and see if an alignment can be had around there.

Lamonster
04-17-2015, 07:36 PM
So, I heard something about this little event somewhere up near Springfield or thereabouts. Spyderfest or something?;) Well, I've got to go to just around the corner from there (St. Louis) to pick up my RT-622 that a friend of mine got for me. Maybe I'll get on the ball and plan the trip and ride to Spyderfest and see if an alignment can be had around there.

I'll be glad to take care of you on that if you like. I've done more than I can keep track of. :doorag:

Don in E Texas
04-18-2015, 06:30 AM

Get ready to have a great time - besides the alignment.

Don

hillybillyheaven
04-18-2015, 10:44 AM

When i was down to laser headquarters Bikeweek after mike aligned my Spyder he gave me a scrub sheet...explaining old scrub versis new scrub...then he mentioned he had done over 500 aligns...it is because he has 500 of those sheets !!! ( lot of paperwork but he keeps those sheets so if you get in a wreck he can go back to those measurements)

He also mentioned Joe and Ann Meyers one of his independants has done over 300 or maybe 400....can't remember (senior moment)....and I hear they will be at Spyderfest

Go to vendor village and find Joe and Ann Meyers from Squared Away...thats who I would use if you can't ride to edgewater

WEB-WVR
04-18-2015, 12:16 PM
I checked and no laser alignment dealer here in Oregon.

To expand the discussion on the concern of technician experience; I have that as a general concern, how experienced is your technician ? :dontknow: Most of the time...we may never know and risk something being done incorrectly to our ride.

My Dealer is new (less than a year) to the Spyder. I asked how long an oil change would take....90 minutes. :gaah:

I have not looked up their shop rate yet, but lets say $75.00 . $113 labor + parts.... I know some here say they are paying $250 ...seems a little excessive. Owning other cycles, I know that tech experience level is a concern of many. :chat:

SpyderAnn01
04-18-2015, 10:10 PM
When i was down to laser headquarters Bikeweek after mike aligned my Spyder he gave me a scrub sheet...explaining old scrub versis new scrub...then he mentioned he had done over 500 aligns...it is because he has 500 of those sheets !!! ( lot of paperwork but he keeps those sheets so if you get in a wreck he can go back to those measurements)

He also mentioned Joe and Ann Meyers one of his independants has done over 300 or maybe 400....can't remember (senior moment)....and I hear they will be at Spyderfest

Go to vendor village and find Joe and Ann Meyers from Squared Away...thats who I would use if you can't ride to edgewater

Thank you very much! We have done about 325 alignments since February of 2014 and we will be at Spyderfest again this year to get your Squared Away.

SL Ken
04-19-2015, 01:50 AM
I checked and no laser alignment dealer here in Oregon.

To expand the discussion on the concern of technician experience; I have that as a general concern, how experienced is your technician ? :dontknow: Most of the time...we may never know and risk something being done incorrectly to our ride.

My Dealer is new (less than a year) to the Spyder. I asked how long an oil change would take....90 minutes. :gaah:

I have not looked up their shop rate yet, but lets say $75.00 . $113 labor + parts.... I know some here say they are paying $250 ...seems a little excessive. Owning other cycles, I know that tech experience level is a concern of many. :chat:

if you're close to Vancouver, Wa, go to Pro Caliber. Shawn Smoak does the alignments and has a lot of experience.