PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Removal

sandeejs
04-16-2015, 10:34 PM
I'm still having a problem getting that darn mirror off. My right hand is sore and bruised from my attempts today. I have watched the videos (thanks!) and try to follow what they showed - no go.
The entire neighborhood thinks I'm nuts for beating on the Spyder.
Any suggestions? Please!?!

~Sandee~

(PS - Apologies in advance if I've double posted. Keep hitting 'delete' instead of 'send')

cptjam
04-16-2015, 11:47 PM
Apply steady pressure upward with one hand.Using the meaty part of the other Palm, slap upward. It will come off . Joe

revjvegas
04-17-2015, 12:25 AM
Check out this video from Shawn. At about 30 seconds in, you can see him remove the right-hand side mirror.

I remove mine the exact same way; its pretty easy once you get the knack.

https://youtu.be/NvGbgxB14PQ?t=32s

Thing to remember is there are Three contact points.
The two on the bottom snap directly in, the one on the very top is a slot that has to slide upward.

vrider
04-17-2015, 09:44 PM
My manual says to push the top of the mirror forward with one hand and then use the other to push it up and it will pop out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
04-18-2015, 09:04 AM
Most damage to the keyhole clips comes from improper or overly physical removal of the mirrors. I have never broken a clip on two RT's, although the mirrors have been removed frequently. To remove without damage I recommend the following:
1. Place one hand at the back of the mirror near the outer edge of the glass. This hand should apply light pressure toward the front to keep you from moving the mirror to far and breaking the clip.
2. With the other hand, rap against the front puter edge to pop the front spring clip loose. I describe the force of the hit as "firm, but gentle". A sharp, short rap is all you need. Do not tug or push, and be sure to resist with the other hand.
3. Move the backup hand to the top outer portion of the housing.
4. From underneath, rap upward with the other hand to pop the lower spring clip loose.
5. Gently lift straight up on the mirror assembly, about 1/2", then pull outward to slip the latch pin from the keyhole clip.
6. Pull the wires from inside the console until the wiring connector is clear of the body. An untrimmed wire tie on the cable will prevent the connector from falling back inside, when it too is pulled clear of the body.
7. Installation is the reverse of removal. Be sure to straighten the spring clips before you reinstall, so they are straight and parallel. Lightly lubing the latch pins helps, too.
INSTALLATION:
First, make sure the mirror spring wires are straight and parallel. If they are bent inward they may not catch the post,
and if they diverge or bend outward, the mirror will be loose. It can help to put a very tiny bit of lube on the outer,
conical part of the post only. I'm talking about a film here, not a glob. Make sure there is none on the back side (post notch).
Engage the keyhole slot first. Then rap downward firmly (but politely) on the outer edge of the mirror to seat the bottom latch.
Now rap forward on the outer edge of the mirror to seat the front latch. You can rap a little harder than you can taking the
mirrors off, because they won't fly across the room, but don't get carried away. Problems seating the latches are usually
caused by bent spring wires.

JayBros
04-18-2015, 09:32 AM
I was leery about attempting to remove my mirrors until watching Texas' video. Watched it twice (you know watch twice, hit once) and it could not have been easier.

Purple Guy
04-18-2015, 09:45 AM
Most damage to the keyhole clips comes from improper or overly physical removal of the mirrors. I have never broken a clip on two RT's, although the mirrors have been removed frequently. To remove without damage I recommend the following:
1. Place one hand at the back of the mirror near the outer edge of the glass. This hand should apply light pressure toward the front to keep you from moving the mirror to far and breaking the clip.
2. With the other hand, rap against the front puter edge to pop the front spring clip loose. I describe the force of the hit as "firm, but gentle". A sharp, short rap is all you need. Do not tug or push, and be sure to resist with the other hand.
3. Move the backup hand to the top outer portion of the housing.
4. From underneath, rap upward with the other hand to pop the lower spring clip loose.
5. Gently lift straight up on the mirror assembly, about 1/2", then pull outward to slip the latch pin from the keyhole clip.
6. Pull the wires from inside the console until the wiring connector is clear of the body. An untrimmed wire tie on the cable will prevent the connector from falling back inside, when it too is pulled clear of the body.
7. Installation is the reverse of removal. Be sure to straighten the spring clips before you reinstall, so they are straight and parallel. Lightly lubing the latch pins helps, too.
INSTALLATION:
First, make sure the mirror spring wires are straight and parallel. If they are bent inward they may not catch the post,
and if they diverge or bend outward, the mirror will be loose. It can help to put a very tiny bit of lube on the outer,
conical part of the post only. I'm talking about a film here, not a glob. Make sure there is none on the back side (post notch).
Engage the keyhole slot first. Then rap downward firmly (but politely) on the outer edge of the mirror to seat the bottom latch.
Now rap forward on the outer edge of the mirror to seat the front latch. You can rap a little harder than you can taking the
mirrors off, because they won't fly across the room, but don't get carried away. Problems seating the latches are usually
caused by bent spring wires.

Well done Bob! :clap:

Bob Denman
04-20-2015, 07:05 AM
That is all from Scotty! :bowdown:

I STILL miss his wisdom! nojoke

It's been over a year now... I hope that all is well. :shocked: