PDA

View Full Version : Baja-Ron Sway Bar

Justacruisin
04-16-2015, 08:31 AM
Picked up my 2014 ST-Limited yesterday. Had a new sway bar installed. The difference in the ride is like day and night.
I suggest if you don't have one , get one. Thank you, BaJa-Ron. :clap::bowdown:

Benny

Justacruisin

Rockwall
04-16-2015, 08:42 AM
The same goes times two for me. Thanks Ron!:doorag:

Bob Denman
04-16-2015, 08:52 AM
No doubt; he puts out some GREAT products for our bikes!! :clap: :2thumbs:
I just got my preload adjusters in the mail, and can't wait to get them nailed into place! :yes:

Chupaca
04-16-2015, 09:01 AM
another happy customer..:yes::yes: so simple yet so impressive the change in handling..I was sckeptical and waited but glad it was not for long...:thumbup:

DARRELL8755
04-16-2015, 11:34 AM
I have one also . Great product

vided
04-16-2015, 11:42 AM
No doubt; he puts out some GREAT products for our bikes!! :clap: :2thumbs:
I just got my preload adjusters in the mail, and can't wait to get them nailed into place! :yes:

Are those finishing nails, roofing, framing or 2penny nails :roflblack::roflblack:

thereverend
04-16-2015, 01:50 PM
Picked up my 2014 ST-Limited yesterday. Had a new sway bar installed. The difference in the ride is like day and night.

Benny

Justacruisin

Ron sent me the bar, I asked my dealer to install and they flatly refused, they said if they had ordered it for me then they would install it for me but since I ordered it myself
I would have to find someone else to install. I said so, if I send this bar back and you order it, then you will install it? the answer was yes, go figure.... I wish I had of know this before I bought the RTL because I would of went to another dealer...

Gator37
04-16-2015, 02:23 PM
Ron sent me the bar, I asked my dealer to install and they flatly refused, they said if they had ordered it for me then they would install it for me but since I ordered it myself
I would have to find someone else to install. I said so, if I send this bar back and you order it, then you will install it? the answer was yes, go figure.... I wish I had of know this before I bought the RTL because I would of went to another dealer...

Good to know, Dealer to avoid.

cyclekid58
04-16-2015, 02:55 PM

Have to echo the others on the major difference it made on my 2014 RT-S, in fact my dealer told me to order it myself and they would install when it got here, they popped it in an out of the shop in an hour. Now for the Squared Away Laser Alignment in June.

WEB-WVR
04-16-2015, 03:12 PM

Benny

Justacruisin

I am also new to a 2014 St-limited ! My Dealer is new to the Spyder and I am concerned even having my first service done by them :banghead: ....let alone having them install a non-stock sway bar.

QUESTION: Is this something difficult to do, hard to do or in need of a lift or special tools.....appears most are having a dealership install them ? :chat: Open for comments ! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
04-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Are those finishing nails, roofing, framing or 2penny nails :roflblack::roflblack:

finger... :D :thumbup:

Justacruisin
04-16-2015, 04:47 PM
:clap::):):clap:
I am also new to a 2014 St-limited ! My Dealer is new to the Spyder and I am concerned even having my first service done by them :banghead: ....let alone having them install a non-stock sway bar.

QUESTION: Is this something difficult to do, hard to do or in need of a lift or special tools.....appears most are having a dealership install them ? :chat: Open for comments ! :thumbup:

Lew L
04-16-2015, 05:02 PM
Hardest part of the anti-sway bar was lifting the :spyder2:high enough. After that it's easy---did the bump-skid in a few minutes while it was 24 inches up.

Kaos

bruiser
04-16-2015, 05:04 PM

Not hard at all. You do need to get the front end off the ground at least 18".

JerryB
04-16-2015, 05:43 PM
Hi WEB-WVR

Re: Is this something difficult to do, hard to do or in need of a lift or special tools.....

Here you go:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?40911-RS-GS-Spyder-Breakdown-Arntufun-Style-Updated-Version

I found it quite easy. But I have been wrenching on vehicles since I was about 10 yrs old.

Take some time to study the videos and see what you think. Maybe a local teenager could help you; never know.

Jerry Baumchen

BajaRon
04-16-2015, 06:07 PM
Hi WEB-WVR

Re: Is this something difficult to do, hard to do or in need of a lift or special tools.....

Here you go:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?40911-RS-GS-Spyder-Breakdown-Arntufun-Style-Updated-Version

I found it quite easy. But I have been wrenching on vehicles since I was about 10 yrs old.

Take some time to study the videos and see what you think. Maybe a local teenager could help you; never know.

Jerry Baumchen

This video will work fine for the 2008-2012 Spyder (all versions). But it isn't going to help you much for the 2013+ models. There is a fair amount of difference between the pre-2013's and the post 2013's.

There are very few tools needed for this install (on any year or model). And the tools needed are of the common variety. Nothing special.

All of the Sway Bar installs are relatively easy. However, with the 2013+ models, you do have to raise the front of the Spyder at least 18"~20". Very few jacks will get you this much lift. If you intend to use an ATV or similar jack the best approach is to lift the front of the Spyder as far as it will go, put jack stands (or ramps or similar) under the front suspension to hold it, let the jack down, add some cribbing on the top of the jack (2x4, or 4x4 wood blocks or similar), and lift again. A little time consuming but not difficult.

You do not need to lift the entire Spyder. In fact, you will need less lift if you just raise the front of the Spyder leaving the rear wheel on the ground. This also makes the Spyder more stable. And you do not need to lift the Spyder this high for the entire procedure. It only needs to be lifted this high for removing and installing the sway bar itself (which is a quick and easy step in the process).

Personally, I do not think it good customer service to refuse to install a sway bar just because the customer purchased it. The one I send the dealer will be identical (if not the same bar). But unfortunately, there are a few who insist on this.

On the other hand, it is not necessary to have a Spyder dealer do this install. Any decent mechanic that has the ability to lift the 2013+ Spyder models will be able to do this install easily. As I said, it's not that difficult.

loisk
04-16-2015, 08:16 PM
We installed swaybar on 13 st - to lift it, we made a platform 2 bricks high, put our car ramps on, added long planks and bob was our uncle, no problems at all. back wheel stayed on ground and we chocked it just in case, tho of course we had the spyder brake on too. Follow the instructions and it's fairly straightforward. It only has to be up in the air for the actual removal / replacement of the bar, it can be on the ground if you wish for all the other undoing & doing up.
PS just seeing if new profile pic works...

Ex-Rocket
04-16-2015, 08:37 PM
Thanks to Baja Ron for getting my sway bar shipped to me super fast. Thanks

I installed the sway bar myself and I must say that the installation on the 2015 RTS versus my old 2012 RTS that I used to have, is like night and Day difference. Really the install on the 2012 was a piece of cake, no problems. Now the 2015 is a complete opposite. There were so many panels and bolts to remove even before you got close to the removal and installation of the new sway bar. And yes, you really got to get the front end lifted way high to get the old sway bar out and the new one fished in. Then you got to remember how all the panels get reinstalled. It took me several hours to get it installed today but it was well worth all the trouble. It sure does make the ride so much more enjoyable.

Thanks again Ron for a super product.

Cruising RT
04-16-2015, 08:49 PM
This video will work fine for the 2008-2012 Spyder (all versions). But it isn't going to help you much for the 2013+ models. There is a fair amount of difference between the pre-2013's and the post 2013's.

There are very few tools needed for this install (on any year or model). And the tools needed are of the common variety. Nothing special.

All of the Sway Bar installs are relatively easy. However, with the 2013+ models, you do have to raise the front of the Spyder at least 18"~20". Very few jacks will get you this much lift. If you intend to use an ATV or similar jack the best approach is to lift the front of the Spyder as far as it will go, put jack stands (or ramps or similar) under the front suspension to hold it, let the jack down, add some cribbing on the top of the jack (2x4, or 4x4 wood blocks or similar), and lift again. A little time consuming but not difficult.

You do not need to lift the entire Spyder. In fact, you will need less lift if you just raise the front of the Spyder leaving the rear wheel on the ground. This also makes the Spyer more stable. And you do not need to lift the Spyder this high for the entire procedure. It only needs to be lifted this high for removing and installing the sway bar itself (which is a quick and easy step in the process).

Personally, I do not think it good customer service to refuse to install a sway bar just because the customer purchased it. The one I send the dealer will be identical (if not the same bar). But unfortunately, there are a few who insist on this.

On the other hand, it is not necessary to have a Spyder dealer do this install. Any decent mechanic that has the ability to lift the 2013+ Spyder models will be able to do this install easily. As I said, it's not that difficult.

Thanks for the nice words of encouragement. Just received my sway bar today and was thinking about taking bike to dealer, hour and a half away, but I'm going to attempt to replace myself. First time working on bike.(2014 RTL) I've been viewing videos on replacement and believe in myself. Husbands a Harley guy and suggested taking to dealer but I like to save money and learn how to work on my bike. Cross your fingers!!

BajaRon
04-19-2015, 10:52 PM
Thanks to Baja Ron for getting my sway bar shipped to me super fast. Thanks

I installed the sway bar myself and I must say that the installation on the 2015 RTS versus my old 2012 RTS that I used to have, is like night and Day difference. Really the install on the 2012 was a piece of cake, no problems. Now the 2015 is a complete opposite. There were so many panels and bolts to remove even before you got close to the removal and installation of the new sway bar. And yes, you really got to get the front end lifted way high to get the old sway bar out and the new one fished in. Then you got to remember how all the panels get reinstalled. It took me several hours to get it installed today but it was well worth all the trouble. It sure does make the ride so much more enjoyable.

Thanks again Ron for a super product.

It is one of those installs that you can do twice as fast the 2nd time. But, you only need to do it once...

Glad you like the bar! Enjoy your Riding Season!

Thanks for the nice words of encouragement. Just received my sway bar today and was thinking about taking bike to dealer, hour and a half away, but I'm going to attempt to replace myself. First time working on bike.(2014 RTL) I've been viewing videos on replacement and believe in myself. Husbands a Harley guy and suggested taking to dealer but I like to save money and learn how to work on my bike. Cross your fingers!!

It takes a bit of time to do the Sway Bar install. But it isn't all that difficult. For the 2013+ models, just be prepared to get the front up high enough. The rest is just take off/put back on.

Love your Spirit! Good Luck! :thumbup:

one2doo
04-19-2015, 11:00 PM
Thanks Ron easy install great product:yes:

ssmcclub
04-20-2015, 05:46 AM
On a 2014 rss spyder do you have to remove any side panels to install rons sway bar?:opps:

BajaRon
04-20-2015, 02:00 PM
On a 2014 rss spyder do you have to remove any side panels to install rons sway bar?:opps:

Anyone who would like a copy of the BajaRon Sway Bar installation instructions for your model and year Spyder, just email me at fyredad@hotmail.com (fyredad@hotmail.com) and I will email them to you. This will take the guess work out of just exactly what is required to install one of my sway bar kits.

It takes about 1.5~2.0 hours for the average person to do this install. Some take longer and it depends somewhat on which model and year Spyder you have. Some Models/Years are a bit more labor intensive than others. But none of them are all that difficult for anyone with a bit of mechanical ability.

No special tools are required. No holes to drill, nothing to modify.

robhowen
04-22-2015, 07:31 AM
Yesterday I installed the Bajaron sway bar on my 2015 Spyder RT-LTD. I only did a quick test ride last evening, but my initial impression is very positive. Hard turns felt completely flat! Prior to the install I had increased my spring hardness to makeup for sway and I quickly discovered that I could also soften the ride and still feel like I'm on rails.

The bar is is much heavier than the factory bar. The channel blocks are much more substantial. The links are aluminum vs. factory plastic or nylon or ???? Installation instructions are good. I was surprised at how high I had to get the front of the bike off of the ground to get the old bar out and the new bar in. I thought I'd provided enough space and ended up having to jack-up the front another 6 to 8 inches. A few tense moments. I have a pdf version of the owner's manual and I printed out the both panel removal pages and put them with the installation instructions. I found this useful as this was the first time I'd touched the Spyder as I just acquired it 5 days before. I did the job myself in about 4 hours of taking my time to make sure all was done correctly.

Rob

Benny

Justacruisin

WVBubba
04-22-2015, 07:51 AM
Is there an easy way to tell by looking if the spyder ALREADY has the RonBar? My 2013 RT-S handles like ass warmed over and I want to get it straightened out ASAP. A quick peek underneath found the Baja Ron links but not sure about the bar itself. Thanks.

SPYD1
04-22-2015, 09:25 AM
I believe they are a different diameter. you could measure yours and measure another...maybe from a friend or dealer who has one you wasn't changed. Some people have just changed the links.

BajaRon
04-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Is there an easy way to tell by looking if the spyder ALREADY has the RonBar? My 2013 RT-S handles like ass warmed over and I want to get it straightened out ASAP. A quick peek underneath found the Baja Ron links but not sure about the bar itself. Thanks.

Take an open end 5/8" wrench and put it on a straight piece of the sway bar. If the wrench goes over the bar then you have the stock bar. If the wrench does not go over the bar then you have a BajaRon bar.

Some have put my links on with a stock bar because they either broke a stock link or wanted to prevent any breakage of the stock links. This was especially true on the 2013's as there was a lot of OEM bar end link failures with that production year.

Dgdecker
04-22-2015, 05:27 PM
Anyone who would like a copy of the BajaRon Sway Bar installation instructions for your model and year Spyder, just email me at fyredad@hotmail.com (fyredad@hotmail.com) and I will email them to you. This will take the guess work out of just exactly what is required to install one of my sway bar kits.

It takes about 1.5~2.0 hours for the average person to do this install. Some take longer and it depends somewhat on which model and year Spyder you have. Some Models/Years are a bit more labor intensive than others. But none of them are all that difficult for anyone with a bit of mechanical ability.

No special tools are required. No holes to drill, nothing to modify.
Just had the Bajaron anti-sway bar installed by Netzley Tire (Ron Netzley) here in NY on my 2014 RTS. He only charged one hour and seeing the lifting, etc involved I was happy to have it installed by him! The improvement in performance is excellent. Had laser alignment done and it was spot-on from thhe factory - so no alignment adjustments were neede.

isthatahemi
04-22-2015, 05:35 PM

The dealer made a business decision, the above would be an emotional one. No reason to get ones feeling hurt. The OP bypassed the dealer, it's a risk that we take when ordering online. It's not uncommon to refuse to install parts bought elsewhere. The business that I work for is the same way, and that's business.

WVBubba
04-22-2015, 05:39 PM
Take an open end 5/8" wrench and put it on a straight piece of the sway bar. If the wrench goes over the bar then you have the stock bar. If the wrench does not go over the bar then you have a BajaRon bar.

Some have put my links on with a stock bar because they either broke a stock link or wanted to prevent any breakage of the stock links. This was especially true on the 2013's as there was a lot of OEM bar end link failures with that production year.
Does this apply to the section of the bar that runs to the end link too or just the torsional section? (I can access this section without laying down on the floor) If so, it is bigger than 5/8 [emoji22].

BajaRon
04-22-2015, 10:12 PM
Does this apply to the section of the bar that runs to the end link too or just the torsional section? (I can access this section without laying down on the floor) If so, it is bigger than 5/8 [emoji22].

It applies to any straight section of the bar. I would not be sad that you've already got the upgraded sway bar. It simply means that this part of the equation has been solved and you can move on to other potential handling issues.

Here are some things to check.

Tire Pressures. I recommend 18~19 psi in the front and 30~32 in the rear.
Alignment. If you have not had a laser alignment I would get that done.
Front shocks. Yours may be bad. This is a bit harder to analyze. Bad shocks can give you fits.
Front shock pre-load. Be sure both shocks are set the same. You may want to up your pre-load and see if this helps.

Hope this helps.

WVBubba
04-22-2015, 10:19 PM
Non adjustable... just had it laser aligned with no noticible improvement. Shop said it was only barely out of alignment. Tire pressures are right. How do I know if shocks are problematic?

aeroshots
04-23-2015, 01:10 PM
If I get a laser alignment and later install the sway bar, will the alignment be affected?

BajaRon
04-23-2015, 02:43 PM
If I get a laser alignment and later install the sway bar, will the alignment be affected?

No. Alignment is not affected in any way by the sway bar.

Tazzel
04-23-2015, 05:20 PM
Installing better shocks will get you the same place.

AY4B
04-23-2015, 06:09 PM
Mine are on the way, I was hoping to have it done before my ride on saturday. So far I have just over 1300 miles on my ST Limited. Every time I ride it, the fun factor goes up a few notches.

AY4B
04-23-2015, 06:12 PM
My ST limited comes with adjustable shocks, but they did not include the special tool I need to adjust them. Any one know where I can get one?

WVBubba
04-24-2015, 12:24 AM
Installing better shocks will get you the same place.
Meaning they would NOT help? [emoji86] [emoji85] [emoji87]

Will the shock stiffeners (Baja Ron or Docs) address the handling issues without spending a pile of money on replacement shocks?

AY4B
04-24-2015, 08:17 PM
Got My Sway bar & links today and they are already on and ready for the ride tomorrow!:yes::yes::yes:
To get The spyder up, I just put some ramps on the tailgate of my pickup and drove it about half way up. It worked great. Using a creepy crawler really helped get my body in position also. I havent got a chance to ride it yet because its been pouring rain. Tomorrow is supposed to be Sunny and dry though. Cant wait to try it out. I did take it out in the driveway to turn it back around and noticed the power steering seemed to be working much better.

AY4B
04-24-2015, 08:29 PM
The Bushings that come with it are a huge upgrade as well. The OEM bushings were already clicking where I rocked it left to right. They were cheeeep looking plastic. The new ones are made out of a heavier sturdier material. The Heim links were also a major upgrade. The ball part of them had a much freer movement compared to the OEM.

GearHd
04-24-2015, 09:57 PM
My ST limited comes with adjustable shocks, but they did not include the special tool I need to adjust them. Any one know where I can get one?
Did you ever find the tool to adjust the front shock preload?