PDA

View Full Version : Replacing seat on my 2012 RT

spydernatic
04-15-2015, 02:12 PM
I am about to replace my seat on my RT with a seat that has a Utopia backrest everything looks simple enough and I have taken note of the suggestions to tape up and fill in all holes so I do not lose the nuts and spacers and what else may fall off from the hinge at the back of the seat. Now here is my concern there is a pressure switch that sits under the passenger seat...is this a problem to remove, when removing by un- screwing the 2 screws will it all fall apart or will it be simple and stay in one piece that will screw back in to the other seat with out a problem....Please anyone who has done this seat removal and has had to remove this pressure switch could you explain to me on what to do so as I can go ahead a swap out the seats.If its as simple as it looks by taking the screws out and then screwing the switch into the next seat, I will be more than happy. Thank you.
Kevin

Bob Denman
04-15-2015, 02:27 PM
It's a sealed-unit; easy-peasy! :2thumbs:

jcthorne
04-15-2015, 02:27 PM
Yep, its mostly that easy. Switch is easy to swap over of both seats are laying upside down on the table or floor.

Its easiest to remove the rear bolts if your remove the passenger backrest first.

spydernatic
04-15-2015, 02:41 PM
Thank you for your responses jcthorne made a suggestion to remove the passenger backrest first to be able to get to the seat hinge easier and that sounds like a good plan ...now to my dumb question : how easy or difficult is it to remove the backrest??? I am not the most technical person around and am prepared to try most anything but will not venture into having to remove all of the rear tupperware to get at the bolts that may hold the backrest in place.

ARtraveler
04-15-2015, 02:47 PM
Oooooops! I missed the part where you are replacing the seat with a different seat that has a Utopia backrest installed.

Removing the backpad gives more wiggle room because the OEM seat can be raised up a bit further, making the attachments a bit more accessible.

The advice about covering places where screws can fall is also good. When the screw goes into the "void," they are usually never to be seen again.

spydernatic
04-15-2015, 02:53 PM
Yep, its mostly that easy. Switch is easy to swap over of both seats are laying upside down on the table or floor.

Its easiest to remove the rear bolts if your remove the passenger backrest first.

When you say its easy to swap over to both seats when they are laying upside down on the table or floor ...is there a way to then disconnect the wire coming out of the frame to the pressure switch. I tried to look in to the hole where the wire came out of the frame but due to the seat still being connected to the front lift stay I could not see how, thanks for your help.

ARtraveler
04-15-2015, 03:13 PM
When you say its easy to swap over to both seats when they are laying upside down on the table or floor ...is there a way to then disconnect the wire coming out of the frame to the pressure switch. I tried to look in to the hole where the wire came out of the frame but due to the seat still being connected to the front lift stay I could not see how, thanks for your help.

The wire unplugs.

blacklightning
04-15-2015, 03:16 PM
The advice about covering places where screws can fall is also good. When the screw goes into the "void," they are usually never to be seen again.
I wish I had read this article about "covering the places where screws can fall". I have had my seat off my 2014 RT 4 times. On this last time, I dropped a nut and socket into the "forbidden area". I was very lucky, as I was able to get it back with a flexible magnetic stick. Again, good information from the best forum on the web:thumbup:

jcthorne
04-15-2015, 03:34 PM
Thank you for your responses jcthorne made a suggestion to remove the passenger backrest first to be able to get to the seat hinge easier and that sounds like a good plan ...now to my dumb question : how easy or difficult is it to remove the backrest??? I am not the most technical person around and am prepared to try most anything but will not venture into having to remove all of the rear tupperware to get at the bolts that may hold the backrest in place.

Open the trunk. There are 3 torx head screws in the forward wall holding the passenger seat. Remove these. There are two smaller screws up top between the trunk lid hinges. Just loosen these a turn or two to allow the back rest to go forward. Back rest is then free to lift off by pulling forward and up, does not take much force.

Pressure switch has a connector in the harness about 6 inches down, just carefully pull the connector up out of the hole and disconnect it.