PDA

View Full Version : Rain leakage into frunk

Denny B.
04-15-2015, 09:53 AM
I've been getting rain leaking into the frunk of the '14 RTS. Can happen when riding or even when parked in the open during a rain. I wondered if anyone had experienced a similar problem and what they'd done about it.

JayBros
04-15-2015, 11:18 AM
Have you checked that the frunk gasket is fully seated all the way around the lip? Mine new from the dealer needed to be reseated part way around.

Bob Denman
04-15-2015, 11:19 AM
:agree: It's pretty easy to dislodge it JUST enough... :shocked:

Chupaca
04-15-2015, 11:26 AM
:agree: check the gasket all the way around. Make sure nothing is routed across this seal. Many time pulling things out of the frunk can dislodge the gasket. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
04-15-2015, 01:03 PM
I would also suspect a loose gasket. :thumbup:

Denny B.
04-15-2015, 01:48 PM
Yes, I believe that must be it.

Should it be glued on?

ARtraveler
04-15-2015, 02:14 PM
Yes, I believe that must be it.

Should it be glued on?

I don't recommend it. Just check it from time to time.

WEB-WVR
04-15-2015, 02:21 PM
I have olny had my Spyder for 3 weeks But;

Dealer washed it...there wass over a 1/2" of water in the Frunk.

I checked the seal and stretched it to where the seam was...it is down tight now and I dont see any other way it could leak. Then;

I washed and detailed it....wet in there again ? :banghead: Had to dry it all out and the liner.

I see no where how water can get in and the Spyder was not moving so there was no air forcing water in either.

I know there is an after market seal advertised here as "better"...has anyone tried that other seal and did it solve the problem ? :dontknow:

Thx :spyder2:

billybovine
04-15-2015, 04:16 PM
The battery access cover not installed correctly is a very likely suspect.

Cruzr Joe
04-15-2015, 04:19 PM
The battery access cover not installed correctly is a very likely suspect.

Or the fuse box cover not on properly.

Cruzr Joe

WEB-WVR
04-15-2015, 04:27 PM
Or the fuse box cover not on properly.

Cruzr Joe

I put a battery tender on the battery and the cover was loose....so I sealed that up properly. I will check the fuse box covers....THANKS ! :thumbup::spyder2:

cognaccruiser
04-15-2015, 05:25 PM
Mine has done this also when washing the Spyder and I had temporarily forgotten until your post.
I did a little experiment today because I just couldn't see how it was getting past the frunk gasket. I opened the frunk lid and unzipped the liner to move it back from the fuse box covers and the battery access panel. Then I poured some water from a cup. The only place it could go was down the hole under the frunk latching mechanism. As I poured I watched and water started to seep from a seam between the 2 fuse boxes. The seem is horizontal and is a little hard to describe. A picture would help I know but thought I'd post this. There was nothing coming from the fuse boxes them selves but the water that seeped out then ran across the battery access panel and some of it ran to the bottom of the frunk. I also removed the battery access panel and there was now water behind it. I actually think that the water ran into rather than from the battery access panel.
If any of you want to try this simple experiment I'd appreciate knowing if you see the same thing.
I have no idea how to fix this as the seam looks very innocent. I don't know if some silicone sealer would do the trick but I also don't like doing that. I doubt this should be happening.
Interested to see if anyone can duplicate what I saw.

Gary

WEB-WVR
04-15-2015, 05:40 PM
Mine has done this also when washing the Spyder and I had temporarily forgotten until your post.
I did a little experiment today because I just couldn't see how it was getting past the frunk gasket. I opened the frunk lid and unzipped the liner to move it back from the fuse box covers and the battery access panel. Then I poured some water from a cup. The only place it could go was down the hole under the frunk latching mechanism. As I poured I watched and water started to seep from a seam between the 2 fuse boxes. The seem is horizontal and is a little hard to describe. A picture would help I know but thought I'd post this. There was nothing coming from the fuse boxes them selves but the water that seeped out then ran across the battery access panel and some of it ran to the bottom of the frunk. I also removed the battery access panel and there was now water behind it. I actually think that the water ran into rather than from the battery access panel.
If any of you want to try this simple experiment I'd appreciate knowing if you see the same thing.
I have no idea how to fix this as the seam looks very innocent. I don't know if some silicone sealer would do the trick but I also don't like doing that. I doubt this should be happening.
Interested to see if anyone can duplicate what I saw.

Gary

Thanks for the experiment...I will try that in a few days...maybe some silicone at that seam will help.

Unless we plan on making soup in the frunk :roflblack: there is no reason to have water in there (unless it is in a bottle !) :yikes:

cognaccruiser
04-15-2015, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the experiment...I will try that in a few days...maybe some silicone at that seam will help.

Unless we plan on making soup in the frunk :roflblack: there is no reason to have water in there (unless it is in a bottle !) :yikes:

Love making home made soup...........just not in my frunk :banghead:

Gary

vided
04-15-2015, 07:20 PM
Hey kids it's SOUP IN A FRUNK:yikes::yikes::yikes:

cognaccruiser
04-16-2015, 08:52 AM
Further to my post #12 above, I took a picture of where the water is leaking into my frunk and a picture of where it collects just under the latching mechanism to make it more easy to visualize.
When washing or in rain, the water runs down from the windshield etc and collects in the area around the frunk below the gasket around the top of the frunk . There is a hole or space below the latch that the water seems to be intended to drain. I know every one knows where I mean but took a picture anyway. If you pour water anywhere in the area it seems to naturally drain here and is probably designed that way.
In the second picture, I am pointing to the seam where the water was running out. From there it proceeded to collect across the top of the battery access panel. Some of it ran down the sides and pooled in the bottom of the frunk and I think some of it seeped past the gasket on the battery access panel into the battery area. I can't say that some doesn't run down on the inside of the battery panel door and perhaps is supposed to.
Obviously, I don't think that water is intended to leak back into the frunk.
Hopefully some of the other owners that have this problem can try to see if the same thing is happening with their Spyder.

Gary

trikermutha
04-16-2015, 09:14 AM
Warranty issue take it back to the dealer.

SPYDERGUY1
04-20-2015, 11:01 PM
I have had this a few times as well, no apparent rhyme or reason . Everything looks good,Happened at the car wash and on a road trip. Got segregated once at the US border and they wanted to see insurance and registration, told him I had to open the frunk to get it ( they have weapons ) opened it and pulled it out SOAKING FREAKING WET, I offered it to him and he said have a nice trip. Now I triple bag everything in the frunk, just peace of mind. Live and learn. i have a stereo mounted in my frunk as well, never had an issue with that , Seems to be coming in from the drivers side

iSpyder
08-14-2015, 10:35 PM
I have had a leak in my Frunk as well. I finally pulled out a hose and found out where the water is getting in. I shot a video to show it (see below). Actually took my Spyder to the dealer today to get it fixed. They ordered a new frunk tub and should install it sometime next week. I will post back and let everyone know if it is fixed or not...

https://youtu.be/FoDFFFUOAmY

cognaccruiser
08-14-2015, 11:06 PM
I have had a leak in my Frunk as well. I finally pulled out a hose and found out where the water is getting in. I shot a video to show it (see below). Actually took my Spyder to the dealer today to get it fixed. They ordered a new frunk tub and should install it sometime next week. I will post back and let everyone know if it is fixed or not...

https://youtu.be/FoDFFFUOAmY

Thanks for posting the video. That is exactly where mine leaks and what I tried to explain in my prior posts and pictures.
My replacement frunk tub is sitting at my dealer waiting for me to take my Spyder in for replacement of the tub.

Gary

iSpyder
09-08-2015, 10:18 PM
My leak in the frunk has been fixed. Dealer (Extreme Propulsion in Cartersville, GA - great folks by the way) got a replacement tub under warranty from BRP and swapped it out. Turns out whatever "robot" applies the silicon to the back of the seal where my leak was failed to finish its run all the way across the seam. All is good now. Probably could've run silicon back their myself but when I pay $$ for a machine still under warranty I want it to be factory right and not big blobs of silicon from my shaky hands!