PDA

View Full Version : MY STORY TO TELL HOPE YOU READ IT.

HotWheels
11-26-2008, 08:19 AM
This has been long overdue post, but I wanted to make sure I got everything done and ready when I came to post the images so forgive me if it’s too long. First I want to send out some thanks to “Can-AM” for making my dreams come true. To “SpyderLovers.com” for having this great website as an outlook for great sources. Those of us as SPYDER riders can come to for the best of information and support. To all the venders out there (you know who you are) that kept my time busy with new products and new stuff to ad on my SPYDER. And most of all to my mom for being patient with me because without her I would have not had the strength to grow up with the courage to even get this far in life without her love and encouragement. The reason I say most of these things is because I am a 36 year old man who has been bound to a wheelchair most of his life and the fact that my limitations have not stopped me in anything in life it is with great pleasure that I can come here to you guys and post my accomplishments and be part of a group of riders that have the love for this remarkable machine that I enjoy looking at, working on, and even ridding whenever the weather permits me. The liberation and freedom I get when I ride is like no other feeling I have had. I have had my goals and desire for this dream to come true since day one. I started with the simple basic 90cc ATV’s to getting a 700cc Kawasaki KFX ATV until the cops kept busting my chops. Then to see the image of this beautiful monster in a magazine and saying to myself “YES” that’s it this will get me where I have to go in life. And so it did in helping me pass my motorcycle license. And now being a visual celebrity on the streets of Brooklyn NY. Now I am not trying to sound snobby but I take pride in what I have done with my life and I am more grateful to be able to thank so many that have helped me get there. So this post is not just for me but for all of you. I THANK YOU! And I hope that one day we can ride together and enjoy the time well spent. Sincerely a Loyal Rider Angel.

Here are some pics I of my baby. Let me know what you think?

Baby's First Day Home!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=401

My Other Ride.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=402

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=403

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=405

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=411

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=406

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=412

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=419

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=407

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=404

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=408

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=409

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=410

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=413

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=414

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=415

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=417

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=416

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=418

Again Sorry This Post Was Long. :2thumbs:

NancysToy
11-26-2008, 08:34 AM
You have every right to be proud. Look at what you have done! I'm sure I speak for everyone else here when we say we are honored to have you as one of us. Enjoy the Ryde...it has to be extra special every time you climb on board. :congrats:
-Scotty

bjt
11-26-2008, 08:40 AM
:thumbup: Great story and a great looking Spyder. I'm not big on the spider motif but I really like yours, especially the fenders and the side panels. After having my Spyder for 8 months, I think that shock covers are a great accessory for a new Spyder. Congrats bro.
:congrats: :spyder:

Roaddog2
11-26-2008, 08:49 AM
welcome:congrats::2thumbs::thumbup::firstplace:

drifter
11-26-2008, 08:54 AM
:congrats::yes::yes::yes:

sleepman
11-26-2008, 09:04 AM
welcome always excellent to see someone who can share the passion for riding. I'm glad that you're enjoying the spyder and you've done an excellent job adding to it. Would you mind sharing where you got your hood decal, that spider is wicked. :2thumbs:

Magic Man
11-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Well done! :clap::doorag::2thumbs:

MM

Director
11-26-2008, 09:42 AM
HotWheels, your Spyder looks great and it is truly inspiring to read your story. One of the wonderful aspects of the Spyder is that it is such a flexible machine. It appeals to people from all walks of life with varying degrees of experience and abilities. It is just as much fun for the able-bodied as it is for those who have physical challenges.

Rock on, HotWheels!

Bruce

Greg H.
11-26-2008, 09:49 AM
welcome :congrats:

That's a great story! And, a great looking Spyder, too. :thumbup:

zzneonzz
11-26-2008, 10:08 AM
:congrats: Yet another dream come true with the Spyder. I must say that Can Am did it right when giving the open road to Everyone!!!!!!

FANG
11-26-2008, 10:26 AM
:congrats: welcome Ryde safe. Great looking :spyder:.

Lamonster
11-26-2008, 10:33 AM
Wow, what a great story and what a great looking Spyder. I see you have some of the same artwork I'm using on my Spyder.:thumbup:

Please be sure to post often. It's post like this that make my day and makes me glad that there's a SpyderWeb that all of us SpyderLovers can hangout on. :congrats::spyder:

tatt2r
11-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Wow, what a great story and what a great looking Spyder. I see you have some of the same artwork I'm using on my Spyder.:thumbup:

Please be sure to post often. It's post like this that make my day and makes me glad that there's a SpyderWeb that all of us SpyderLovers can hangout on. :congrats::spyder:

HEAR ....HEAR ..... :coffee:

LaughingHeart
11-26-2008, 10:52 AM
:clap::clap::2thumbs: Awesome job on your Spyder!! And a great story too! Welcome.

retread
11-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Wow, nice Spyder. Showing the determination evident so far in your life, you have been blessed beyond anything I can imagine. Please post often, keep us up to date.
AND:congrats:welcome:congrats::yes::yes:

ataDude
11-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Great post and great topic. Congrats on the ride and mods.

And, just in time for Thanksgiving, to boot.

welcome

shunkmanitu
11-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Though my problems are not near a troublesome as yours I understand how the Spider can make a world of difference. Doubt I will ever have the nerve to ride in your city, I am scared of big towns, but am with you in spirit!

bone crusher
11-26-2008, 12:21 PM
You da man....one thing you forgot on your bike was wings! Besides that, looks like you have it seriously decked out!

Jeff in Dallas
11-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Congrats!! And, welcome!!!

floto612
11-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Hi Hotwheels,

Floto612 here.....a T12 paraplegic. So good to read your story, and I am so happy for your accomplishments. Ryde and absorb a new world, of the open road.

GI Jane
11-26-2008, 01:01 PM
welcome :clap::clap::clap: What a truly inspiring story. And a good time to post since tomorrow is the one day set aside for us to concentrate on all things to be thankful for in our lives. With everyone else here on the forum; hope to keep hearing from you.

Spydroe
11-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Great post to come home from work to.:thumbup::2thumbs:

jnt
11-26-2008, 03:37 PM
welcome:yes::yes::clap::2thumbs: Great story!! Great lookin Spyder!! :firstplace:

Roger
11-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Hello hotwheels i like what you have done that seat is cool the way the colors flow with the rest of the bike and the shock cover. well tell me have you opened it up a little bit on utica avenue or the BQE. who is your local dealer. believe it or not you look formiliar to me i use to drive a plumbing supply truck and delivered around the 5 boros and long island. i'am from upstate orange county to be exact. :congrats: :2thumbs:

HotWheels
11-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Ironman - you probably did see me on Utica on the day I passed my test I went to the Floridian to get a celebration lunch LOL And yea I had to take the BQE to get to the test site. Do you have a SPYDER yourself if you do we have to get together and ride I get board going to the same places over and over even more boring when I am alone. I picked up my SPYDER from Crossbay Honda-Suzuki from the sales man name Jimmy.

ArmyGurl
11-26-2008, 05:17 PM
welcome Great to have u on the forum HotWheels!! I can't wait to see what other mods you're going to add. Tell your mom she's #1 in my book, she raised you to not let anyone or anything stop you in achieving your goals!:2thumbs::clap:

rupbre
11-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Inspirational...Congrats

hawkiii
11-26-2008, 05:45 PM
HotWheels, Very sweet ride! Inspirational story also. :congrats:

Roger
11-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Hotwheels-No i dont have one yet but i'am looking forward to it. I was in a head on car crash i can walk but with pain i have no cartilage in my left knee. to young for a knee replacement so i just have to suck it up for now. believe me i don't even compare to what you have had to deal with. No i'am sorry i have not been down your way for awhile the crash happened on 1/3/2008 i have been out of work since. i have other medical problems related to the crash. but reading about what other people are doing to there spyders is alot of fun. Yes i agree there are a lot of people on here who are very nice. :chat:

Zerocool
11-26-2008, 06:00 PM
welcome and :congrats:

You've really put a lot of work into your :spyder: ... Looks great.

Smylinacha
11-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Hey there Neighbor! I don't live too far from ya so we gotta go ridin! Me, HDX and Roaddog are about an hour from ya.

All I gotta say is WOW - what a good story and what a nice looking :spyder:you got there - I love all the :spyder:s painted on your machine - what a nice job you did!

I am so glad you had a dream that came true - what an awesome story. We will definitely do some riding!

caser
11-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Damn cool dude...Damn cool.:cheers:

Spyderman62
11-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Welcome Hotwheels! I think your accomplishments speak highly of yourself and your ride - you are to be commended. Have a super Thanksgiving holiday and welcome to the site fellow Spyder owner.

sleepman
11-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Hotwheels, if you're gonna be moving to Florida we'll definitely have to get together and ride. :2thumbs:

dltang
11-26-2008, 07:43 PM
HotWheels, great story, great pics and great attitude. Welcome to our "family" You will fit right in.!!!

babyanlee
11-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Hotwheels :congrats: on your:spyder:.Looks great.:2thumbs:

Look us up when you come to Floridawelcome

NautiBrit
11-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Truly an inspiring story. I wish you many safe miles on your spyder.

Big Arm
11-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi HotWheels......welcome Nice Post on the Forum :thumbup:
Love the mods.........and hope you enjoy your Ryde as much as I do !!!!

Ryde Safe ! ! !

bone crusher
11-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Hotwheels,

I think your Spyder and your spirit have wings enough!

I also think you're mighty brave to have a bike in the NYC area! Wow...I'm afraid to even drive a car to the city...I always take the train!

Stay visible and stay safe...add some NMN light modifications to maximize your visibility...we were almost blinded the other day when we installed them...wow!

HotWheels
11-26-2008, 10:32 PM
It’s funny that you say that bone crusher I do have the “Triple Play II Kit” by NMN and I love it the only thing I want so bad is the “Spyder Center Taillight” if you can see from the pictures I have the Sport Rack and Backrest and the reason for this is because I have to sometimes travel with someone if I need something off the bike because I travel without a wheel chair. I am getting the trailer hitch and a small bike rack and see if that works out but that will be later when the winter passes. So if anyone out there see’s this reply from NMN is there any way there will be a “Center Taillight” mod for the Sport Rack. I also put on the Hindle to be better heard. It’s not all that loud but you can tell now I am coming down the block. Also the only scary part about ridding in NY is passing the old neighborhoods to see family the fact that I think I am the only person in my Brooklyn area with a bike I get a lot attention and many that ask me how much, how fast, and can I pick it up on a wheelie imagine that one. :yikes:

Lamonster
11-26-2008, 11:39 PM
I got to ask, how do you get fuel? :dontknow: I can't even imagine the hurdles you have to overcome.:(

jimclarkf1
11-27-2008, 01:08 AM
I hope you have a GREAT THANKSGIVING, and HOLIDAYS next month. I'm new to the SPYDER TOO. KEEP IT UP....:2thumbs:

wtwing15
11-27-2008, 01:29 AM
HotWheels, Very sweet ride! Inspirational story also. :congrats:
:agree::congrats::clap::firstplace:

nickcaro
11-27-2008, 02:05 AM
BQE can be fun, but if you want to take a run up to Bear Mountain, send me a PM..

jeuchler
11-27-2008, 08:58 AM
This has been long overdue post...

Awesome ride, HotWheels! (Brooklyn, eh? When I was born my folks lived in Greenpoint.)

My favorite part of your ryde, really, is the windshield treatment--who did that?

Also, and forgive me, but I just appreciate vehicles: when I saw the wheelchair I thought "that is the coolest one I've ever seen."

Thanks for sharing, and welcome. :doorag:

Arachnid
11-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Wow,
Great looking Spyder should be the key to many a happy adventure for you
congratulations.
RIDE ON ! :2thumbs:
Mike

floto612
11-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Hi Hotwheels, you must be busy trying to keep up with all your recent emails....so happy for you! Hotwheels, I wanted to bring you up to speed (pardon the pun) on the hydraulic brake mod I have on Gail's Disabled Riders website.....that site did not get updated with my final version.
I ended up with a Brembo Radial master cylinder, as it more closely replicated the original foot operated Brembo that comes with the Spyder. The handlebar Radial master cylinder is a single piston 19 x 20 mm unit and does more than ample. I can send photos of mine and how to install it and what to use and where to get to bits.
No go back enjoying your Holiday......while we here in Canada keep working!! cheers, floto612

HotWheels
11-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Yea I just came back from a ride Brrrrrr was it cold I wanted to get out there and do something fun for thanksgiving before I stuffed my face with food. The weather here is really starting to get to my body so I guess that will be the last of my rides for the winter I don’t know how you do it Lamonster in 20 degree weather you really are crazy. But as for getting gas I think I went twice with the bike to fill her up I had to get on the floor so that he could have filled it up for me so that wasn’t that bad after that I got a fuel tank and I just fill that up and bring it to the bike when I have to fill her up again. floto612 I really like the images YES please feel free to send me whatever you can to madface31@aol.com (madface31@aol.com) I like how you attached your wheelchair the only thing is that I don’t have a folding one I am thinking about selling my ridged chair for a folding one but not sure yet I use an electric chair when I go out and about in my car for shopping and store errands but the manual ones I leave out side for whenever I have to work out on the bike and the new T-Lite rigid chair I got to travel anywhere else but I really am thinking about a folding chair. The question I have for you floto612 is how do you keep your feet from falling off the pegs my ankles are in a straight pointing position so I use a straps for now at each feet but I want to try something more stable. Any suggestions?

IMRU3
11-27-2008, 01:58 PM
You are truly an inspiration, Hotwheels! Your positive outlook and determination and love of life is a God given gift. Thank you for inspiring me and all of us here on this website. You are one of a kind! Indeed, enjoy life to its fullest. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.:thumbup:

floto612
11-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Great talking to you today Hotwheels,

Here are some photos of the mods I did to my Spyder, to hold my wheelchair, feet, etc., into place. Who knows, maybe some one out there in 'Spyder land' reading these forums, has an old Quickie II folding wheelchair to donate or sell to you..........never hurts to ask.

Remember, the only silly question..........is the one you don't ask. You have my number Hotwheels, ask.....ask anything, and I will try to help.

floto612

HotWheels
11-27-2008, 05:45 PM
Floto612 those are some sick pictures I really like what you have done. It was really glad we got to talk sorry that the family kept interrupting us. You know how it is with a house full of family for the holidays but nothing could keep me from my pc. I will definitely look into that new wheel chair I might just get rid of my ridged one since its collecting more dust than my old one. But I put a lot of thought to what you was saying it would be better to be able to ride and get off whenever I like thanks for the heads up I will be keeping in touch for sure! :2thumbs:

bone crusher
11-28-2008, 04:25 AM
Hotwheels,

I got the Hindle as well...love the sound of it...loud enough and it should last...I have read too about too many problems with aftermarket pipes...the Hindle is made for the Can-Am specifically, so all should be good!

As far as triple play...I got the center taillight...love it...as far as having one for a trailer or anything else, at this point, I'm convinced Evan can do just about anything...they are using quite the adhesive for some of the lights...

It's definitely getting too cold to ride...and I'm here in MD...NY is even colder! Although I won't 'winterize' the bike, I'll run it enough during the winter to keep the parts movin' and the battery ready to go...you know we catch some oddball days in the 50s during the winter...you can bet I'll be out on one of those days!

As far as other mods go, if you have the cash handy, I recommend the zumo 550 and the scala rider 2. This way you can talk on the phone, listen to music, and hear your navi while you ride. At 70 mph on the highway it's tough to hear, but I'm sure if I had a different helmet and a larger windscreen, a lot of this problem would be corrected. I have a great contact at a Can-Am dealership...he gets me items really cheap...the Hindle was $430.00 delivered...wow!

Lamonster
11-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Hotwheels,

I got the Hindle as well...love the sound of it...loud enough and it should last...I have read too about too many problems with aftermarket pipes...the Hindle is made for the Can-Am specifically, so all should be good!

The stock pipe is made for the Can-Am too. ;)
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4542&highlight=burn+spot

tatt2r
11-28-2008, 10:45 AM
make sure to paint chair yellow to match

Laz
11-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Hotwheels, I have a son in a chair. he was born with Spinia Bifida and is simi Quad. He has been in a chair sense age six, he is 26 now. I know first hand how hard it is to over come the problems you have had to endure. All I can say is keep it up, your the man! And enjoy that Spyder!

Wheelz
12-13-2008, 02:59 AM
You dont need no stinkin folder! (no disrespect to Floto) Strap it to the back like I did...:yes:It held for 8 hrs of riding through the twisties. The only thing is if you do not have any 'trunk' muscles, you'll tea-kettle off the back caues your rigid has to be completely disassembled. There is a compact folder by Quickie, the Revolution which will work for us "Gimps". :yikes: As for keeping your feet on the pegs..I'm just using bungie cords...still....unless you make a custom floorboard as Floto did. Heck I put on 6500 miles in 5 months..im trying to catch up for as many years i've been off a bike

aka1004
12-13-2008, 05:19 AM
spyder for all of us nice going:congrats::clap:

Star Cruiser
12-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Great to have you with us Hot Wheels. I like BOTH your rides, you're a definite inspiration. Thanks for letting us share your story and your passion for RIDING. I truely hope to meet you in the near future.

Star Cruiser
12-13-2008, 07:21 PM
I wanted to bring you up to speed (pardon the pun) on the hydraulic brake mod I have on Gail's Disabled Riders website.....that site did not get updated with my final version.
Now go back enjoying your Holiday......while we here in Canada keep working!! cheers, floto612
Floto - Could you post the URL for Gail's Disabled Website please. I visit a few of them and have not come across her's. I ride with a left AKA prothesis and there are many litl etips out there that I can give and come away with. My last ride of the season was to the Elora Gorge! Nice country

Motza
12-13-2008, 08:32 PM
OUTSTANDING... Many happy years of riding your fantastic looking Spyder. 5 stars*****
:clap: :2thumbs: :cheers:

LDFIREWORKS
12-13-2008, 09:05 PM
:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::b2b: you did an awsome job on this, i love everything you have done bad to the bone, where in brooklyn do you live i lived on bay parkway and 71st all my life untill 1985 then moved to fla, great job on the bike it takes someone form bklyn to make it happen:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:welcome:b2b:

floto612
12-15-2008, 02:01 PM
I was asked to post the URL for this site. If you have questions, feel free to contact Gail, wonderful person to share information with. cheers, Floto612

http://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.com/

bjt
12-15-2008, 07:34 PM
I was asked to post the URL for this site. If you have questions, feel free to contact Gail, wonderful person to share information with. cheers, Floto612

http://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.com/

:thumbup:

Trap
12-16-2008, 12:50 PM

You have my respect..look forward to meeting you one day... :congrats::firstplace: :firstplace:

billclemen
12-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Sure do like your graphics!!

TJ_Spyder
12-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Great to see you able to live the dream!

I am a C5-6 quadriparetic and there is no other way I could ride, at least not safely.

bgspyderman
12-16-2008, 11:58 PM
Good for you Guy. Nice Ride, it's great to see you enjoying life even with difficulties to overcome. We should all have the courage and drive to suceed in our dreams, Life is short live life for all it's worth every day, you never know when your time is up.

intothenew
01-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Awesome machine, even more awesome people. I have enjoyed the open road in many different forms. This machine may lead to adventures with one that I love. I am glad you can share the feeling. Inspiring, simply inspiring.

effgjamis
01-26-2009, 10:04 PM
The story I have no words but AMEN
Now when you get to Fl.... give me a shout and we'll ride til the cows come home..

Spyder#353
07-01-2009, 03:41 AM
:2thumbs::clap::ohyea::thumbup::yes::congrats:welc ome

And I most say that you look
MARVELOUS!! on your Spyder. Enjoy the ride.

Twodog185
07-01-2009, 07:17 AM
Great story...good job. Inspirational. Glad you're a member of the family.

:2thumbs:

spyder1969
07-01-2009, 09:47 PM
I just wish more Americans had your spirit. Keep three down brother!:congrats::spyder2:

Wichita Mikey
07-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Great story makes me feel good. Every out this way look me up in Arizona welcome:thumbup::thumbup: