PDA

View Full Version : Headset Audio Loud Crack- Pop Sound

SpongeBob
04-14-2015, 12:13 PM
Wow ... that will wake you up. It also makes the Ms. most unhappy.

I traced the intermittent loud crack-pop to the headset connector on the dash ... the one the rider plugs in to.

Oh joy ... some disassembly required.

Worse yet, the rubber boot on the DIN receptacle is "potted" ... meaning that the rubber-like material was molded onto the connector.

After an hour of laboriously digging out the rubber material I finally discovered a cold solder joint on one of the wires. (The red wire in the photo.)

A quick re-heat of the solder joint and we're now free of the startling crack-pop sound.

Now that I've confirmed the fix, I'll rework the connector by filling the void with hot glue and installing a new boot.

No doubt someone was in a hurry the day they assembled this connector and QC may not readily find intermittent cold solder connections.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=105419&stc=1

finless
04-14-2015, 12:18 PM
Good detective work and find! Have a feeling this happens to a few Spyders on many other areas including how well wires get crimped on pins on all the harnesses throughout the bike. Might explain some of the Spyders that cannot ever seem to get fixed and have constant codes and what not.

Bob

Chupaca
04-14-2015, 12:59 PM
thanks for the info and doing all the leg work. Well done and a big help to those with similar problem. Also can help other issues electrical...:2thumbs: