PDA

View Full Version : Stiffening the rear suspension

Roadster Renovations
04-12-2015, 09:54 PM
I got to thinking the other day of how much the pump for the airbag works. Mine will make adjustments every time I stop. It will either purge some of the air out of the bag to adjust the height, then air itself back up to trim out the adjustment to the correct height. Seems to be a lot of pumping, which over time will eventually cause the pump to fail. Not only that, but since the rear spring is not adjustable, the air bag has to compensate for a 100 lb passenger or a 300 lb passenger. You get the point. Up to this point the stiffeners that I created had never been used on the rear. Didn't even think to try them. Well, guess what. I checked the spacing and was able to install a pair with no problem.
I took the bike around a few corners two up and I could notice it seems to corner better. This morning we took a ride down into Kentucky taking mostly 2 lane roads. I changed my airbag setting to the mid-point. Since the first 100 miles, I have never rode with the bag at that low a setting riding 2 up. We noticed that the ride was slightly stiffer, but not uncomfortable. More firmer. The wife explained that, "It was a more firmer ride, very comfortable, and you didn't not feel every little bump in the road like before. On cornering it felt smoother and just flowed" We rod a a total of 250 miles today, with the last 75 miles on interstate at about 80 mph. Surprisingly enough, I found less vibration from the belt. Only thing I can think of is that stiffening the swing arm took away some of the minor movement which made the tension on the belt more stable. I do not have a tensioner on the bike. Anyway, thought I would let you guys know what I had found out.
I also wanted to let everyone know that I have revised the manufacturing of the stiffeners and can now off them for less than ever before. I have purchased a sand blast cabinet, tooling for the welding jig, and a plasma cutter to simply the lengthy grinding process. We will also do our own powder coat. As many of you know, the more work you can do in house the cheaper the cost of the end product. In the next few days I will set up a pair package for the rear suspension for $40. We also will sell the front set for $79.95. If anyone is interested in buying a set for the front and back (total of 6 stiffeners), we will now offer them for $110.00. Anyone can PM me or purchase through Amazon.
But wait, there is more! I don't think that it is right that some of you purchased the stiffeners at a higher price. Here is what I am willing to do. If I can verify your purchase I will give you a special deal on the rear stiffeners. Pay the shipping and you will get the rear set free. All you need to do is PM me your original info and I will send you a invoice just for the shipping for the rear stiffeners. That's it.
As most of you know, these will fit the 2013-15 RT's.

gary lester
04-14-2015, 07:28 AM
I got to thinking the other day of how much the pump for the airbag works. Mine will make adjustments every time I stop. It will either purge some of the air out of the bag to adjust the height, then air itself back up to trim out the adjustment to the correct height. Seems to be a lot of pumping, which over time will eventually cause the pump to fail. Not only that, but since the rear spring is not adjustable, the air bag has to compensate for a 100 lb passenger or a 300 lb passenger. You get the point. Up to this point the stiffeners that I created had never been used on the rear. Didn't even think to try them. Well, guess what. I checked the spacing and was able to install a pair with no problem.
I took the bike around a few corners two up and I could notice it seems to corner better. This morning we took a ride down into Kentucky taking mostly 2 lane roads. I changed my airbag setting to the mid-point. Since the first 100 miles, I have never rode with the bag at that low a setting riding 2 up. We noticed that the ride was slightly stiffer, but not uncomfortable. More firmer. The wife explained that, "It was a more firmer ride, very comfortable, and you didn't not feel every little bump in the road like before. On cornering it felt smoother and just flowed" We rod a a total of 250 miles today, with the last 75 miles on interstate at about 80 mph. Surprisingly enough, I found less vibration from the belt. Only thing I can think of is that stiffening the swing arm took away some of the minor movement which made the tension on the belt more stable. I do not have a tensioner on the bike. Anyway, thought I would let you guys know what I had found out.
I also wanted to let everyone know that I have revised the manufacturing of the stiffeners and can now off them for less than ever before. I have purchased a sand blast cabinet, tooling for the welding jig, and a plasma cutter to simply the lengthy grinding process. We will also do our own powder coat. As many of you know, the more work you can do in house the cheaper the cost of the end product. In the next few days I will set up a pair package for the rear suspension for $40. We also will sell the front set for $79.95. If anyone is interested in buying a set for the front and back (total of 6 stiffeners), we will now offer them for $110.00. Anyone can PM me or purchase through Amazon.
But wait, there is more! I don't think that it is right that some of you purchased the stiffeners at a higher price. Here is what I am willing to do. If I can verify your purchase I will give you a special deal on the rear stiffeners. Pay the shipping and you will get the rear set free. All you need to do is PM me your original info and I will send you a invoice just for the shipping for the rear stiffeners. That's it.
As most of you know, these will fit the 2013-15 RT's.

can you show pictures of how they are installed and how hard they are to put in.

Roadster Renovations
04-14-2015, 08:09 AM
can you show pictures of how they are installed and how hard they are to put in.
I can do that, Gary. Sometime today!

gary lester
04-14-2015, 12:35 PM
I can do that, Gary. Sometime today!

thanks doc how hard are they to install?

Roadster Renovations
04-14-2015, 03:33 PM
I may not get the pics taken today. I have a large 1967 Olds Delta 88 in the shop I am working on for a customer and there is not enough room to get good pictures. I can tell you a few things about the install. I installed them about mid-way on the coil directly facing out from side to side. I used a floor jack to lift at the rear of the frame (just in front of the cat) to lift the rear wheel slightly off the ground. I then pushed the stiffeners in one side at a time and used a 18mm socket and a 10" extension and ratchet to rotate them into place. That was it. Putting inward pressure on the ratchet while rotating makes it easier to get the stiffener started.
One thing I forgot to say anything about was the air ride suspension after they were installed. I noticed that the pump would still kick on, usually after stopping, but it only ran about 10-15% as often as it was. I'll get pictures posted in a couple of days.

Roadster Renovations
04-19-2015, 06:34 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=105820&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=105821&stc=1

Sorry it took so long to post pictures. We now have about 500 miles on the bike since this mod and I am really pleased with the additional stability, improved cornering, and about 80% less pump operation to keep the ride height correct.