PDA

View Full Version : Belt/sprocket opinions

Pennyrick
04-12-2015, 08:14 AM
My 2012 RT is now back in my hands after going through its' 28,000 miles servicing. We also had a number of warranty items looked after including a new compressor, new hoses, boots, water pump housing, seals, gaskets and a bunch of other minor stuff. The total bill was over two grand so thank goodness I had the extended warranty and the service agreement so it only cost me the $50 deductible.

Here's the next big thing. The tech pointed out some small damage to the sprocket and belt due to a rock being lodged in between two teeth. The belt has two teeth worn down on one side due to this but the sprocket doesn't look that bad. He did his job correctly by telling me both belt and sprocket should be replaced but when I pressed him for his opinion as to when, I got a response suggesting it wasn't an urgent item.

When picking up the Spyder the service manager gave me the pitch about the belt and sprocket saying they both should be replaced but put a bit more urgency on it than the tech did. I don't want to get the tech in trouble but we're talking about a $1,300 expense here so I'm looking for some opinions.

The Spyder drives fine, makes no noises and feels okay to me. I know that the stuff SHOULD be replaced but since the belt isn't cut and there is no noticeable difference in driving, would you just continue to ride or would you spend the money?

Highwayman2013
04-12-2015, 08:21 AM
If it is going to be on your mind, change the parts. When something bothers me like that I figure that I might as well get it done. One less thing to worry about.

scott16119
04-12-2015, 08:44 AM
Wow, $1300 for a belt and sprocket?

revjvegas
04-12-2015, 09:26 AM
For $1300, I would just keep an eye on it and check it at every other fill up to monitor its status.

That's just my .02 and not an expert opinion.

Chupaca
04-12-2015, 09:27 AM
The sprocket, cleaned up properly, should not be an issue and I would not worry about it. The belt, from the information posted, with only a couple of teeth worn on an edge will last a long time. You are never going to stress isolated teeth or ribs at any given time. When you see wear across the belt or teeth beveling you should be looking at replacing both and perhaps the drive speocket as well. You should inspect your belt and sprocket regularly anyway. Remember that many service managers and writers are not mechanics and some come from sales. jmo (you asked..) now the real question is how comfortable are you with the knowing there was this problem and though fixed it is all not like new anymore...:dontknow:

Marker
04-12-2015, 09:31 AM
I had the same thing happen to me. The tech and service manager both said to me that when a rock gets caught in the sprockets it can split the sprocket.
The sprocket and belt on my 2010 was looked at but was fine and not needing replacing. I noticed the rock right away so I removed it on the shoulder of the highway as the bike vibrated so bad I could not drive it any further.

I would replace the belt now because you mentioned that the belt has damaged teeth ,it could fail on you when riding leaving you stranded. and check the sprockets for cracking.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-12-2015, 09:52 AM
Wow, $1300 for a belt and sprocket?

:agree:.....Tell them you would rather not have the GOLD ones ....the regular type will do........I'm assuming this is the REAR sprocket , it's not that big a job, and even the front is not difficult.......Good Luck.......Mike :thumbup:

billybovine
04-12-2015, 10:41 AM
Assuming you are talking about the rear sprocket. That's about $800 USD total for belt and sprocket. Hefty assumption for labour. My guess on a RT it should take an hour or less.

I would consider waiting until you need the rear tire replaced and replace at the same time. Should only add 10 minutes to the labour.

Orange Spyder Man
04-12-2015, 10:53 AM
after reading posts about these spyders with less than 30K miles.. it sure appears that these machines are high maintenance... according to bikes I have owned in the past... and quite more expensive to service also... makes me wonder how long I will keep my present 2014 RT...

osm

Pennyrick
04-12-2015, 11:07 AM
:agree:.....Tell them you would rather not have the GOLD ones ....the regular type will do........I'm assuming this is the REAR sprocket , it's not that big a job, and even the front is not difficult.......Good Luck.......Mike :thumbup:

The quote is for both Sprockets (#'s 705501201 & 705501533) and the belt with a total retail parts cost of $902.96 (They say they will work with me on the parts cost so I am assuming maybe a 10-15% discount).

Labor costs bring the total to $1,307.96.

I'm still pondering what I will do.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-12-2015, 11:16 AM
The quote is for both Sprockets (#'s 705501201 & 705501533) and the belt with a total retail parts cost of $902.96 (They say they will work with me on the parts cost so I am assuming maybe a 10-15% discount).

Labor costs bring the total to $1,307.96.

I'm still pondering what I will do.

I think the front sprocket is steel and the rear is alloy............I find it hard to believe to front is so damaged that it needs to be re-placed..........Also dealers are in business to make MONEY not be your best friend ( PITBULL & LAMONT excluded )......I've seen OEM belts on E-Bay for as little as $ 185.00 good luck.....Mike :thumbup:

PMK
04-12-2015, 03:21 PM
Without seeing the damage, the idea of scrapping or keeping in service is more complicated. One thing that might be worth considering is to blend the damaged area if possible using Cratex rubberized abrasives. To touch up the finish and wear surface, maybe get the entire pulley tooth area blasted, then anodized with teflon impreg, or some other long wear, low friction coating.

PK

Bob Denman
04-12-2015, 05:10 PM
PK,
Can you tell us more about this? It sounds rather interesting... :2thumbs:

Pennyrick
04-12-2015, 06:20 PM
Without seeing the damage, the idea of scrapping or keeping in service is more complicated. One thing that might be worth considering is to blend the damaged area if possible using Cratex rubberized abrasives. To touch up the finish and wear surface, maybe get the entire pulley tooth area blasted, then anodized with teflon impreg, or some other long wear, low friction coating.

PK

The retail price on the 28 tooth sprocket is $103. I'd rather throw away the old one and put a new one in place right away rather than put up with the wait on blasting and re-coating. Heck, the expense for that could be just as high as the replacement sprocket.

DrewNJ
04-12-2015, 06:42 PM
Your going to get opinions all over the place, and without seeing the damage it's impossible to say the best course of action. Any pics??

Pennyrick
04-12-2015, 07:14 PM
Your going to get opinions all over the place, and without seeing the damage it's impossible to say the best course of action. Any pics??

I believe you're right, Drew.

I should have taken pictures when the thing was torn down but I didn't. I was wrong about the sprocket. The one that caught the rock was the rear one and that is the expensive one with the $400 plus price tag. You really can't see anything on it though, just a little discoloration across the two teeth... there are no chunks out of it and nothing is broken or missing and it is smooth when you run your finger along it.

On the belt, the two teeth that are affected are missing about 1/4 of the tooth material toward the inside.

I have decided to ride it as is until the next service interval and then I will most likely replace the belt.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

DrewNJ
04-12-2015, 07:21 PM
From what your describing I'd run it too. If you had felt any sharp edges or burrs on the sprocket a little messaging with an abrasive wheel or paper can help prevent damage to the belt. 2 little nicks in the belt won't affect anything.

Bob Denman
04-13-2015, 07:00 AM
:agree: If it's smooth at the impact point; there's no need to change it. :thumbup:
Even if there were a burr on the edge of the sprocket's tooth; a little bit of careful work with a file could make everything useable again...

Ex-Rocket
04-13-2015, 08:49 AM
I believe I would replace the belt and do it myself. I don't know if your mechanical inclined or not. I would hate to think that I would be stranded somewhere out in the middle of nowhere and have the belt break. As far as the sprockets go, I would let it ride for now and inspect from time to time.