PDA

View Full Version : mini comp, GPS, waterwings?

retread
11-25-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm looking at a Dell Mini 9 computer to take with me on the road. It measures 9.1 by 6.7 by 1.2 inches, and has XP installed. I figure if I put MS Streets and Trips on it, with the GPS antenna, I'll have a combination that will give me just about everything except XM, but I need a waterproof case for it. Anybody know of one? Ram-mounts Aqua Boxes aren't big enough, and the rest I can pull up on line seem to be carrying cases.
The comp runs around $500, and the GPS software with the antenna is $75, and with the right software I could keep my screen withdrawal to a minimum.:yes::yes:

sleepman
11-25-2008, 10:37 AM
You're not taking about a case that you can mount to the Spyder right? Something like that would have to be really big.:yikes:

Now if you're talking about something to keep the computer in while you're carrying it on the Spyder than check out Pelican cases. I have a 10" netbook that I carry when I travel and I just through it in a soft case inside the trunk.

retread
11-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Actually, I am planning on mounting it right behind the handlebar center, where tank bags go, it should fit there fairly easily, if I can keep it from getting wet. I've seen waterproof keyboard holders that will take full size keyboards, and a 7 by 10 by 7 (open) sure wouldn't get in the way.

docdoru
11-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Think about a Solid State hard drive (no moving parts) .....

retread
11-25-2008, 02:41 PM
It's got it. 1 Gig memory, 16 Gig solid state hard drive, 9 inch diagonal display, weighs about 2 1/4 pounds, has wireless capability, It just needs a shower cap!

docdoru
11-25-2008, 02:50 PM
I this case add a Verizon card and surf the net while driving the Spyder :thumbup:

Spanky
11-25-2008, 04:05 PM
It's got it. 1 Gig memory, 16 Gig solid state hard drive, 9 inch diagonal display, weighs about 2 1/4 pounds, has wireless capability, It just needs a shower cap!

Heat build up will be your enemy. If you seal it then you're going to need a way to conduct the heat away.

There are always trade-offs.

sleepman
11-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Take into consideration the size of an open laptop or netbook sitting on your Spyder. Just to satisfy my curiosity I set my 10" on my Spyder. Way too big and bulky looking, plus the lid would have to be laid down far enough to see it while ridinng that I believe it would interfere with the steering.

bjt
11-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Have you looked at the iPod touch? dltang just got one (32 gigs) and its pretty cool. I'm not sure but it sounds like it might perform similar to what you want the Dell Mini 9 to do in a package that has more mounting options.

retread
11-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Right now, I'm looking at ideas, things I can use on the road and where I'm going. I've got till around March or April before things really get tight, schedule wise, so I'll be asking questions and calling suppliers and depleting my finances in the meantime. This site has more info, and more help than any other I've been to, so I will be asking more questions, and coming up with some interesting angles from time to time, THANK YOU ALL.

john

bone crusher
11-26-2008, 12:41 PM
I second the idea of the iphone or itouch...is basically a little computer!

With my iphone, I link to the zumo 550 and scala rider 2...can talk, use navi, and can listen to music while riding!

Just remember that if you really want waterproof, you have to go with the Panasonic laptops...but they're WAY too big to have sit on a bike...

There's probably a case out there for the iphone/itouch that will make it water resistant...

daddydarko
11-26-2008, 01:17 PM
lol, I'm looking at the same exact thing. I hope you didn't pull the trigger yet though since the Dell mini just dropped. You can now get a 36gb SS HD for $100 more.

Don't go iPhone. Who wants crappy service and a monthly fee? The Dell is cheaper and you can do more (i.e. RDP into other PCs).

PM me and we can talk about some options.

daddydarko
11-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Things to keep in mind - even with a SS drive, PCs are not vibration proof. You may experience cables falling off or components breaking over time.

Most of these screens will washout in direct sunlight. You may need a lip so you can see during the day.

Consider something removable to avoid vandalism/theft.

A different approach and one that I am considering is a waterproof LCD (http://www.isdb-t.com/lm002-waterproof-monitor-inch-screen-waterproof-remote-p-2311.html?osCsid=f384c43b8c59c65a831226c99726b54a) connected to a trunk mounted small form factor PC. With this PC I plan to listen to music, GPS, watch movies (while stopped of course), RDP or VNC into my work PC, surf the web, transfer pics from my camera, view my backup cams, open my garage, operate my automated home appliances, and find John Connor.

:)

Let me know what you decide either way. I'd love to hear what you come up with!

tatt2r
11-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Things to keep in mind - even with a SS drive, PCs are not vibration proof. You may experience cables falling off or components breaking over time.

Most of these screens will washout in direct sunlight. You may need a lip so you can see during the day.

Consider something removable to avoid vandalism/theft.

A different approach and one that I am considering is a waterproof LCD (http://www.isdb-t.com/lm002-waterproof-monitor-inch-screen-waterproof-remote-p-2311.html?osCsid=f384c43b8c59c65a831226c99726b54a) connected to a trunk mounted small form factor PC. With this PC I plan to listen to music, GPS, watch movies (while stopped of course), RDP or VNC into my work PC, surf the web, transfer pics from my camera, view my backup cams, open my garage, operate my automated home appliances, and find John Connor.

:)

Let me know what you decide either way. I'd love to hear what you come up with!

then you better buy a mac cuz that pc won't handle it :D:D:D and yes darkko i have an iphone also ... :2thumbs: