PDA

View Full Version : Scuff marks?

spovelko
04-10-2015, 11:18 PM
Is there any way to get scuff mark out of the hard plastic on top of the tank?

jaherbst
04-10-2015, 11:34 PM
Is there any way to get scuff mark out of the hard plastic on top of the tank?

Polishing compound. Not rubbing compound. Found at any auto parts store. For painted surfaces only and not the black trim. (added) Thanks Snoopy.

Jack

SNOOPY
04-11-2015, 06:18 AM
Polishing compound. Not rubbing compound. Found at any auto parts store.

Jack

This is in the ST forum. If other STs are like mine, this part is not painted and can't be polished out.

If the one here is the black plastic non painted piece, best bet would be to use some Back to Black on it to help hide a little. The part is grained so it won't buff out. Using heat may change the grain and make it more noticeable.

If it is gouged up pretty good, I would just replace the piece.

revjvegas
04-11-2015, 06:45 AM
For black, non-painted, pieces you can try one of those Mr. Clean sponges. Dampen it a little and rub lightly. It works really well at removing transfer. It'll also remove any of that white chalkiness of wax transfer you may get on it when waxing other painted surfaces nearby. Not recommend for painted surfaces because it will abrade the surface; unless you plan to follow it afterward with a polishing compound. Definitely DO NOT use it on the windshield (just a disclaimer).

I use it when I detail the autos; works great. I recently used in on the lower black plastic trim on my RT and it worked the same.

AppleSpyder
04-11-2015, 08:25 AM
I have used Armor-All, the pre moistened towels. This works for me to take out the scuff marks. Cindy

Chupaca
04-11-2015, 09:31 AM
I also use Armor-all, WD-40 or tire black which cleans the whole panel but does not make it go away permanently depending. Gets better....:thumbup:

spovelko
04-11-2015, 03:29 PM
I also use Armor-all, WD-40 or tire black which cleans the whole panel but does not make it go away permanently depending. Gets better....:thumbup:

Thanks for all the good advice guys. I will try it out.

SNOOPY
04-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Report back what you do, may help someone else...

bruiser
04-13-2015, 07:31 PM
Report back what you do, may help someone else...

You going to Brewer Cycles Saturday for their open house and demo rides? I would like to but have previous plans :banghead:

SNOOPY
04-13-2015, 08:26 PM
Never heard of them? :(

DJFaninTN
04-13-2015, 08:54 PM
http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/mediaserver/ViewMedia?mgid=347898&vid=4

bruiser
04-14-2015, 08:53 PM
They're in Henderson, NC. I thought you went there one time. Guess I was mistaken.

billybovine
04-15-2015, 08:35 AM
So I looked it up on how much it would cost to replace if it got scratched bad enough. It's the same panel for all 2013, 2014 and some 2015 models. It's $30 CAD, so my guess would be $25 USD from your dealer. Not that expensive if something bad happens. Some of the 2015 models that panel is painted. The price jumps to $260 CAD.

BrewerCycles
04-16-2015, 04:15 PM
Never heard of them? :(

Hi Snoopy!
I asked our service manager about the scuff marks...here's his answer:

Painted plastic: If you can feel it you can't fix it. It's generally too deep. If not, you can use a rubbing compound; like you would use on any automobile.

Unpainted plastic: There's generally nothing you can do about it.

I hope your's is the kind you can fix:D

I also saw that Bruiser asked you about our upcoming event, on Saturday and you weren't familiar with us. If you would like to come we'd love to have you! It's totally free - just let me know you're coming so we can make sure there's enough food :bbq:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=105557&stc=1

To register, or if you have any questions at all just shoot me an email at kristie@brewercycles.com or give me a call at 252-492-8553.
www.brewercycles.com (http://www.brewercycles.com)

I hope to hear from you,
Kristie