PDA

View Full Version : State law's for added led lights

vtrider
04-10-2015, 02:41 AM
I know this is an old subject, but couldn't find any information on this matter. I would like to add the Spyderpops bump skid on my RT with the added LED lights. The problem I have is it too many lights on the front end in the state of Vermont? I already have the bright day runner LED's on the A=arms and I already get flashed with high beams from oncoming vehicles even with my low beams on. I just don't want to waste my money on the bump skid with LED's if it's going to get me in trouble with the Local LEO's. Also, how are the neighboring states on this matter, NY,NH,ME,MA?

SNOOPY
04-10-2015, 05:08 AM
All these extra lights are illegal in Va also.

To me, just gives cops a reason to pull over and harass you, which they love to do. Lol

MarkLawson
04-10-2015, 06:52 AM
I would guess you could wire in a switch to turn them all on/off at will.

Bob Denman
04-10-2015, 06:55 AM
:agree: Put them on switches if you're unsure... :thumbup:

jcthorne
04-10-2015, 08:01 AM
If your low beam headlights are blinding oncoming drivers, you need to get them properly adjusted. From their perspective, they should barely be able to see them being above the shutter cut off line. Or is your shutter working?

The christmas tree lighting I see all over and under many spyders may get folks in trouble but, daytime running lights and perimeter marker lights are 100% legal in all 50 states by federal DOT specs. There are of course color requirements.

2ndChildhood
04-10-2015, 08:02 AM
I have a light ring around the front BRP logo and it was really bright. So I made up a module and hook it up to the headlights. So the ring is dim with the dim light on and bright with the bright light on. I also use it as an attention getter by flash in the bright light switch.

ToM
SpyderFest '15

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bruiser
04-10-2015, 09:02 AM
Move to another state. :joke:

I would check with DMV in person before installing and show them what you want to do.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-10-2015, 09:08 AM
If your low beam headlights are blinding oncoming drivers, you need to get them properly adjusted. From their perspective, they should barely be able to see them being above the shutter cut off line. Or is your shutter working?

The christmas tree lighting I see all over and under many spyders may get folks in trouble but, daytime running lights and perimeter marker lights are 100% legal in all 50 states by federal DOT specs. There are of course color requirements.

:agree:....JC is correct............and you know I live in VT. My RT is now lit up like a Christmas tree but I followed the Law about colors and where they are. As long as the lights can be shown to be used for SAFETY purposes ....they are OK................The LED's you won at SPYDERQUEST are the same ones I have and as long as you don't use the WIG-WAG ( with or without strobe ) at Night you are OK also..................Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
04-10-2015, 09:15 AM
The being flashed at comes from the shutter bouncing when on low beam causing the other driver to think you are flashing him. You may notice cars ahead of you moving out of your way as well for that same reason. As to the number of lights, you would only have problems at night if you are running them all. Color can be more of an issue. The lighted bumpskid is an accent light and not a projection light and should not be an issue. You could always check with your dmv or dmv online for regulations...:thumbup:

ARtraveler
04-10-2015, 01:34 PM
Staying away from blue and red seems to be the way to go when it comes to LED's.

The highbeam shutters do cause a lot of the "flashing" problems. Have heard both pro and con about high beams on at all times. That is mostly what I use. Still get flashed once in a while, but not as much as with the low beams on.

LED bumpskid goes on in a couple weeks. Will see if that adds to the situation?

vtrider
04-10-2015, 02:46 PM
I do know that the shutter works as it should. I checked this out myself by standing in front of the spyder and having my son switch from high to low. I still may need to have the shutter adjusted and see if that helps. I still think though that with the daytime running lights, fog lights and head lights all on at the same time is what confuses people into thinking I have the bright lights (high beams) on and they don't see the difference when I'm in low beam. I have shut off the fog lights to have less lights on up front when in traffic. I have to say though, because I go to work in the early morning hours I like being able to see as much of the road and the ditch lines as I can when it is dark out. I've been surprised by deer in the ditches many times and even had them run out in front of me. So, all that lighting does help.

SNOOPY
04-10-2015, 08:26 PM

Huh? In Va last I know we are only allowed a certain number of lights front and rear...and they have to be below headlamps.

I think? The number front is 4 or 6...if you have a "string" of LEDs that is far more than 6 ? :dontknow:

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-10-2015, 10:05 PM
Huh? In Va last I know we are only allowed a certain number of lights front and rear...and they have to be below headlamps.

I think? The number front is 4 or 6...if you have a "string" of LEDs that is far more than 6 ? :dontknow:

What do they do about TT units and RV's and just plain old trailer's ???????...................I think FED REG's supercede ....JMHO.....MIke :thumbup:

zuni
04-10-2015, 10:33 PM
We have yet to have an issue with lights on either the RT or the F3 and both are loaded. We don't do flashing on the road and we don't do red or blue while moving either. I don't have a bump skid plate on the F3 but have had one with lights on the RT for a while and I used the 5050 led which are pretty bright. As soon as I get a plate installed on the F3 I will do the same. As I see it even with all we have it is considerably less than many of the semi's on the road these days.]
CJ JAX

trikermutha
04-10-2015, 11:41 PM
Only allowed 4 white lights in the front of the vehicle my neck of the woods.

You need to google your states laws on lights :shocked:

2ndChildhood
04-11-2015, 03:18 AM
The only problem I had was with the ring light around the BRP logo. A police office thought it was too bright. Even during the daylight hours. So that why I hook the ring light up to bright/dim switch. The skid plate lights were just fine.

ToM
SpyderFest '15

SNOOPY
04-11-2015, 06:04 AM
What do they do about TT units and RV's and just plain old trailer's ???????...................I think FED REG's supercede ....JMHO.....MIke :thumbup:

I'm guessing that those type lights are considered factory sealed units.

Cruzr Joe
04-11-2015, 07:20 AM
General rule of thumb is forward shining lights can be white or amber, rear shining lights can be red or amber.

In Arkansas it is a felony to have Blue flashing lights on your vehicle. That being said if they are show lights and you don't turn them on while on the road ......... then nobody knows you have them. Red flashing Lights are illegal except for Volunteer or Paid Fire Fighters responding to a fire call.

Private security vehicles use green lights, Tow Trucks use Amber. Ambulances use Red & White

I run with headlights, fog lights and Bump Skid lights and have never had any problems.

Cruzr Joe

jcthorne
04-11-2015, 01:20 PM

A single LED headlamp is more than six elements. Individual LED Elements do not count that way. If it really were 6, all OEM headlights would be illegal, they are not as they meed DOT requirements. As would the fender front white led lamps that come from BRP.

Next, cannot be 4 all below the headlights. Every large pickup on the road with factory clearance lights would be illegal.

If the Va requirements really do read this way, they are out of dated and superseded by DOT. Between the taxes, the overtly punitive traffic fines and this sort of foolishness, very glad I do not live in Va.

jcthorne
04-11-2015, 01:21 PM
Only allowed 4 white lights in the front of the vehicle my neck of the woods.

You need to google your states laws on lights :shocked:

So you are saying the Spyder as sold is illegal in your state? Its simply not true. You are misinterpreting the law or its been superseded by federal law. A bone stock RT has 8 white lighting elements facing forward. Some of them made up of numerous LEDs.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-11-2015, 01:29 PM
I'm guessing that those type lights are considered factory sealed units.

I've seen TT units ( probably privately owned ) that have had 50 or more lights on them and that was just the CAB.......I don't think they came from the Factory that way...........just sayin............:yikes:.:thumbup:....Mike :popcorn:

samewok
04-11-2015, 01:58 PM
I have the leds that Reggy see advitare.

SNOOPY
04-11-2015, 09:30 PM
I've seen TT units ( probably privately owned ) that have had 50 or more lights on them and that was just the CAB.......I don't think they came from the Factory that way...........just sayin............:yikes:.:thumbup:....Mike :popcorn:

I think we're talking about different things? Lol

Whats a TT ?

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-11-2015, 10:22 PM
I think we're talking about different things? Lol

Whats a TT ?

Tractor Trailer .....the things that actually pull the trailers you see moving 90 % of the goods on the road today :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:..........All vehicles using public roads must conform to DOT regs.......Mike :thumbup:

SNOOPY
04-12-2015, 06:18 AM
I think they detour around Va. :popcorn:

lol

trikermutha
04-12-2015, 08:06 AM
So you are saying the Spyder as sold is illegal in your state? Its simply not true. You are misinterpreting the law or its been superseded by federal law. A bone stock RT has 8 white lighting elements facing forward. Some of them made up of numerous LEDs.

Let me know what you think.

(625 ILCS 5/12-211) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12-211)
Sec. 12-211. Number of driving lamps required or permitted.
(a) At all times specified in Section 12-201, at least 2 lighted driving lamps shall be displayed, one on each side of the front of every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, except when such vehicle is parked subject to the regulations governing lights on parked vehicles.
(b) Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with driving lamps as herein required is also equipped with any auxiliary driving lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front thereof, not more than a total of 4 of any such lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any one time when upon a highway.
(Source: P.A. 86-1236.)

bobgeorge
07-24-2015, 09:01 PM
All these extra lights are illegal in Va also.

To me, just gives cops a reason to pull over and harass you, which they love to do. Lol

The LED lights are illegal in Virginia?

pitzerwm
07-25-2015, 12:55 AM
The only problem I had was with the ring light around the BRP logo. A police office thought it was too bright. Even during the daylight hours. So that why I hook the ring light up to bright/dim switch. The skid plate lights were just fine.

ToM
SpyderFest '15

"Thinking that it is too bright" isn't the law, if there isn't s specific lumun stated in the law, he was out of line and without a way, a calibrated way to measure it forget it. Just like they carry a device to measure your window tint.

Bfromla
07-25-2015, 03:17 AM
So I learned hard way fyi back in high school, (well b4 glo effects) mounted christmas lights around my truck & had fun driving around town soreading joy till leo pulled me over & had a copy of law printed to hand me, (wow nice cop, knew I ment no harm) law stated only white,no more than 4, & amber lights on front & a hight restriction,(trucks with Kc rollbar lights) only amber on either side of vehicle, only red & amber on back. This was well understood & accepted by a scared teen avoiding a ticket. I can only assume its same in other state & hope this helps, dont be scared to ask the dispatcher atleast they can direct you to right info for your area. Anything blinking other than a turn signal is considered distraction to other drivers & is why the glo effects point at ground (loophole)! Even lighted valvestem caps can be bad, on public roads & "If a cop has bad day EVERYONE has bad day!"

jmbiii
07-25-2015, 08:58 AM
I ryde/have ridden over 3/4 of VA and have had no problems with any law enforcement on matters concerning lights. LED or other wise.
Spyder and two-wheeler, and yes, I have extra LED lighting in front and rear. (I do stay away from "Northern Va" and "Tidewater".)

gkamer
07-26-2015, 01:05 PM
Washington is a stickler for after market lights. And the Washington State Patrol delight in pointing that out to you.

bobgeorge
07-26-2015, 07:41 PM
I ryde/have ridden over 3/4 of VA and have had no problems with any law enforcement on matters concerning lights. LED or other wise.
Spyder and two-wheeler, and yes, I have extra LED lighting in front and rear. (I do stay away from "Northern Va" and "Tidewater".)

Thanks. I'm interesting getting the skid bump with LED lights.

I might be moving to Kentucky soon. Anyone know if they are legal there?

gkamer
07-26-2015, 10:40 PM
Let me know what you think.

(625 ILCS 5/12-211) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12-211)
Sec. 12-211. Number of driving lamps required or permitted.
(a) At all times specified in Section 12-201, at least 2 lighted driving lamps shall be displayed, one on each side of the front of every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, except when such vehicle is parked subject to the regulations governing lights on parked vehicles.
(b) Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with driving lamps as herein required is also equipped with any auxiliary driving lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front thereof, not more than a total of 4 of any such lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any one time when upon a highway.
(Source: P.A. 86-1236.)

That you can have both day time running lights on at the same time as your fog lights during the day and headlights and fog lights at night.

Dragonfly
07-27-2015, 07:39 PM

I have the bump skid strip, & Vader light kit, I keep the lights dimmed so it would not be distracting and have not had any problems (probably will get stopped tomorrow LOL)
[Virginia Code § 46.2-1020 Other permissible lights] states that additional side lights can have 6 candlelight power per side each, that equals to 75.6 Lumens. A 3 foot LED strip with 90 LEDs in Amber is only 24.6 Lumens. (Oznium.com) The argument that I maintain is that the LED lights added to the front are not Auxiliary Driving Lights, rather accent lights.