PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 Vs Full Face Helmet

iGot2Fly
04-08-2015, 06:33 PM
So I am gearing up to get my first Spyder. I am thinking a left over 2014 ST-Limited instead of a RT will be the way for me to go. But I need to get a new helmet. How you do feel about 3/4 vs full face helmets on spyders. My thinking is that full face is not as necessary on spyders. And one other challenge - does anyone know of a good company that makes a 4xl open face helment (with full shield)?

TmanOK
04-08-2015, 06:36 PM
I have a Shoe January - Cruise. 3/4. I love it!!

jcthorne
04-08-2015, 06:39 PM
So I am gearing up to get my first Spyder. I am thinking a left over 2014 ST-Limited instead of a RT will be the way for me to go. But I need to get a new helmet. How you do feel about 3/4 vs full face helmets on spyders. My thinking is that full face is not as necessary on spyders. And one other challenge - does anyone know of a good company that makes a 4xl open face helmet (with full shield)?

It all comes down to how much of your face you want protected in an accident. Spyder riders are thrown from the bike in an accident too. I have seen what half and 3/4 helmets leave unprotected. You like eating through a straw? Is kissing or oral sex important to you...

Don't skimp on safety equipment. All the gear, all the time. Ride safe.

Chupaca
04-08-2015, 06:39 PM
a modular helmet. 3/4 open full faced closed. I have ryden with no helmet for years, open face and full face and when I found the modular fell in love. Now I don't have big windsheild but those that do can give you an idea...:thumbup:

ARtraveler
04-08-2015, 06:44 PM
It really is a very personal call. From a safety standpoint--the full face is the way to go.

From a comfort or style standpoint--that is another subject.

I have three full face Nolan helmets. The front goes up so that you are not having to wedge your head into it.

Of late, my last three helmets were 3/4 style. Nolan Modular versions. You can use them with or without the chin bar, with or without the faceplate, and they have a removable visor. I like mine without chin bar, I do use the pull down faceplate (wind makes my eyes water).

The stability of the :spyder2: will help you to avoid some bad things in crash situations...but don't count on the worst not happening. In any kind of an ejection incident, more safety equipment is better.

PS. I also wear Kevlar riding jeans when the weather is warm.

iGot2Fly
04-08-2015, 06:47 PM
It really is a very personal call. From a safety standpoint--the full face is the way to go.

From a comfort or style standpoint--that is another subject.

I have three full face Nolan helmets. The front goes up so that you are not having to wedge your head into it.

Of late, my last three helmets were 3/4 style. Nolan Modular versions. You can use them with or without the chin bar, with or without the faceplate, and they have a removable visor. I like mine without chin bar, I do use the pull down faceplate (wind makes my eyes water).

The stability of the :spyder2: will help you to avoid some bad things in crash situations...but don't count on the worst not happening. In any kind of an ejection incident, more safety equipment is better.

PS. I also wear Kevlar riding jeans when the weather is warm.

Great points here - It sounds like a full face one may be the way to go. Yes, I really dislike wedging my head into the helmet, so maybe a 3/4 would work best for me. Has anyone actually ever heard of a 3/4 coming open on a crash?

JayBros
04-08-2015, 06:56 PM
It all comes down to how much of your face you want protected in an accident. Spyder riders are thrown from the bike in an accident too. I have seen what half and 3/4 helmets leave unprotected. You like eating through a straw? ...Don't skimp on safety equipment. All the gear, all the time. Ride safe.

What he said!!!

ARtraveler
04-08-2015, 06:57 PM
Great points here - It sounds like a full face one may be the way to go. Yes, I really dislike wedging my head into the helmet, so maybe a 3/4 would work best for me. Has anyone actually ever heard of a 3/4 coming open on a crash?

I recommend going to a dealer where you can try on helmets to make sure they are sized right for you. I of course am biased concerning the Nolan brand. If you have a dealer, they are worth looking at. Both the 100 series (full) and the 40 series (3/4 modular). Not cheap, but good stuff.

No posts that I know of that covered how helmets were damaged after crashes. Only a couple :spyder2: fatality's posted that I know of/remember and they were not members that we knew...so detailed information not posted.

ahh-cool
04-08-2015, 07:05 PM
So I am gearing up to get my first Spyder. I am thinking a left over 2014 ST-Limited instead of a RT will be the way for me to go. But I need to get a new helmet. How you do feel about 3/4 vs full face helmets on spyders. My thinking is that full face is not as necessary on spyders. And one other challenge - does anyone know of a good company that makes a 4xl open face helment (with full shield)?

Why do you need a 4XL?
look at my post on the Fulmer helmet. They feel like they are sized 2X bigger.
I could bearly get my head in most 2Xl and they're 2XL felt like a cavern it was so big
Stefan

Orange Spyder Man
04-08-2015, 07:06 PM
if you value your teeth... and the way you look now.. ... I might suggest full face helmet.. no matter how careful you are... an accident that is not your fault could cause you to slide down the highway... skin grafts start at $10,000.00 ... :shocked:

osm

happyspyder2039
04-08-2015, 07:06 PM
I have a scorpion 500 full face helmet that is yellow/black that I really like. Coworkers tell me they see the helmet before the bike. It has removeabl /adjustable with air pump & washable/replaceble inner liner. Also has drop down sun visors. My wife has a 3/4 gmax helmet that has options of 3/4 face shield or just top visor. Also has drop down sun visor as well.

oldgoat
04-08-2015, 07:08 PM
I value my old face. I have 3 modular (flip-up) ones where I can open the visor in stages to get air or when stopped or in very heavy slow traffic can flip it up for lots of air.

2 of them are HJC & the 3rd is a Nolan ( my favorite)

bmccaffrey
04-08-2015, 07:18 PM
Full face
Protection and noise :thumbup:

iGot2Fly
04-08-2015, 07:20 PM
Why do you need a 4XL?
look at my post on the Fulmer helmet. They feel like they are sized 2X bigger.
I could bearly get my head in most 2Xl and they're 2XL felt like a cavern it was so big
Stefan

On a HJC , I am at a 4x,. I will look into the Flumer helmets.

The-BigDog-30
04-08-2015, 08:48 PM
Check out the Shark Evoline 3, great helmet, gives you the option of full face and the option to switch to 3/4 while riding if needed.

jwulf74
04-08-2015, 08:49 PM
Full face...

I think Bob Denman posted a pic a while back that had the percentages of hits by location on a helmet... Surprisingly the chin area had a comparatively high hit rate.

garb55
04-08-2015, 09:28 PM
Check out the Shark Evoline 3, great helmet, gives you the option of full face and the option to switch to 3/4 while riding if needed.

I have 2 Shark Evoline 3 helmets and love them
It is the only modular helmet that the chin bar flips all the way to the back so in 3/4 helmet it is still balanced and you don't have a chin bar sticking up on top catching all the air like a sail
Revzilla.com has a great return policy so you can exchange it at no cost if you get the wrong size

Vader
04-08-2015, 10:06 PM
All The Gear All The Time. Having survived a series of wipe outs on two wheels and three(ah, atc's) and four wheelers I can say each time my brain bucket was very important. But unfortunately, the life changing injury I survived in 2001 devastated my brain. I ride a Spyder because it's the only bike I can. I went with a modular style helmet, ballistic pants, full protective boots and gloves and a hi vis armor jacket. Too much? Maybe. But it's the deal I made with myself and loved ones.
As mentioned, go to a store and try different styles and manufacturers helmets to find the perfect fit. I like the ability to lift the chin portion when getting my helmet on, or when I have to talk to someone.

Brian Kay
04-08-2015, 10:17 PM
Use a soft tape and measure the circumference of your melon. Use that and do some research, online of course, to see what helmet size you are in different brands. It really comes down to the shape of your head. If you are like me, I have a long oval and a 2xl in a Shoei RF1100 and a 3xl in a Icon Airmada. I can't even get close to any neutral or round shaped helmets.

But full helmets no matter what... Been in an accident and that sucker saved my jaw from certain fractures.

pitzerwm
04-08-2015, 11:07 PM
Yes, the spyder is a safer ride, so I think and I hope that I am right, an accident will someone else's fault. That's why I have so many BRIGHT LEDs on the front of my bike.

BUT when you are flying through the air, controlling how you land might not be within your control. Like car/house insurance, its a waste of money until you need it.

I've sky dived without out a chute too many times when I was bulletproof. Today, I assume that if I am hit, I will be hurt, but I don't want my face spread across the roadway and still be alive.

Explorer
04-08-2015, 11:54 PM
On my 4th white Nolan modular. This one is the new N104 evo. Love it. Yes try the helmets on first, but remember they should be too tight when new. The liner will compress and break in after a few rides. Look at a bunch of bikers after dark, and you will buy white.
Roger

Spyda98
04-09-2015, 07:48 AM
If you have an aftermarket pipe or plan on getting one that is louder than the norm then I recommend a good full face to help keep some of the noise out.

And safety wise you cannot beat the full face.

Pirate looks at --
04-09-2015, 07:58 AM
What he said!!!

How much do you value your face. Think cheese on a cheese grater. The modulars are awful appealing. But lots of stuff to fly ar

Bob Denman
04-09-2015, 08:06 AM
:agree: Personally; I enjoy chewing my food...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=105067&stc=1

bluestratos
04-09-2015, 09:44 AM
I use a scorpion covertable, it has as jaw piece that is removable and a brim attachement that goes in its place. I agree it is a personal choice since the helmut are DOT approved. The lack of air behind the windshield is intolerable for me with a full face, in fact I switch to a half helmut in the summer. In the winter I ride with the jaw piece swung up unless it very cold or raining out. so, only about 5% of my riding is done full face.

I like the scorpion so much I have two, one that is always set up with the brim. I carry the small 1/2 or my 5/8 helmuts in the side bag for days when It gets too warm.

Are they as good as protection in a serious accident, likely not but I would rather quit riding then to be so safe I am in a cacoon of armor. I will live until I die but before I die I want to live, lol.

Midian
04-09-2015, 09:51 AM
Is kissing or oral sex important to you...

It is... But I am always looking for new ways of taking care of her! :roflblack:

Bob Denman
04-09-2015, 10:02 AM
:shocked: As long as you're not referring to a "Stand-In"...

I'm not judging... :thumbup: :D

jcthorne
04-09-2015, 10:18 AM
Be aware if looking at a modular helmet. They are NOT a replacement for a full face. None of the manufactures have found a way to build one that can stand the Snell testing for full face varieties and some are WORSE than the 3/4 when the chin bar mechanism comes apart on impact and becomes a projectile or spear. Until a Snell approved modular comes to market from one of the long time trusted brands, I'm not interested. It would be nice, but not at the expense of safety.

PrairieSpyder
04-09-2015, 10:49 AM
I've tried them all. Will definitely go with full-face or modular (for ease of entry, etc.) Not only is it important for safety, but the protection on my face protects my skin from the wind.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-09-2015, 11:44 AM
full face helmet is only needed if you crash or fall off the bike otherwise you don't need a helmet at all

Magdave
04-09-2015, 11:45 AM
Be aware if looking at a modular helmet. They are NOT a replacement for a full face. None of the manufactures have found a way to build one that can stand the Snell testing for full face varieties and some are WORSE than the 3/4 when the chin bar mechanism comes apart on impact and becomes a projectile or spear. Until a Snell approved modular comes to market from one of the long time trusted brands, I'm not interested. It would be nice, but not at the expense of safety.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/02/21/ls2-ff394-epic-modular-helmet/

http://www.smf.org/cert

Exact match found

Standard

Manufacturer

Model

Configuration

Certified size(s)

M2010

LS2

FF394

Modular

L, XL, XXL

M2010

Zeus

Modular

S

Bob Denman
04-09-2015, 12:09 PM
full face helmet is only needed if you crash or fall off the bike otherwise you don't need a helmet at all

It's a lot better to have a helmet, and not need it; than need it, and not have it... :shocked:

jwulf74
04-09-2015, 12:48 PM
That"s the one. Thanks Bob!

I need to download and save that one now. :D

:agree: Personally; I enjoy chewing my food...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=105067&stc=1

Bob Denman
04-09-2015, 12:49 PM
If you want; try Googling "Helmet Impact Studies pictures"; they've got a whole bunch of these in there! :thumbup:

iGot2Fly
04-13-2015, 05:47 PM
Thank you everyone! Some great advice here. I think I may go with a modular helmet. Now on to find a good deal on that ST limited...

Marker
04-13-2015, 06:20 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?79509-Serious-accident
Its all about risk. How much risk are you willing to take wearing a 3/4 helmet. Spyders do get into accidents at no fault to the rider, Just stupid people running into them. Personally I ride with a 3/4 Shoei helmet RJ Platinum, and really like it. I wear protective glasses. I also have a Shoei full face helmet that I will wear occasionally. It totally up to you.

vrider
04-13-2015, 07:46 PM
I would go with full face. More protection in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flaggerphil
04-15-2015, 01:40 AM
Full face for me. If you need a 4x HJC check the 2x or 3x from Shoei or Arai. I've found that HJCs fit small.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-15-2015, 07:10 AM
Much like insurance you only need a helmet when you get into an accident and much like george w. you
don't even need a brain to become president.

Trbayth
04-15-2015, 07:14 AM
Much like insurance you only need a helmet when you get into an accident and much like george w. you
don't even need a brain to become president.

I get enough of the political crap at work; do we really need it here too? At least move the snarky comments to Off Topic

Bob Denman
04-15-2015, 07:28 AM
:agree: This ain't FaceBook...
I'd say that we have standards, but they DO let me in here... :D